Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Che on the Cuban Missile Crisis

Soviet cogitations: 231
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 May 2008, 04:27
Pioneer
Post 18 Dec 2008, 03:53
Lately I've heard that Che Guevara said in an interview with the London Daily Worker that if the missiles had remained in Cuba he would've launched them into New York City. Having heard my fair share of anti-communist propaganda and mis-attributed "famous quotes", I had doubts about this being true, so I did some googling. Apparently the original source of this quote was probably not the Daily Worker, but from Time magazine, which at the time was one of the most rabid anti-communist magazines.

Here's the article:
Quote:
To a correspondent from the London Daily Worker, Minister of Industries Ernesto ("Che") Guevara, who was Castro's one-man braintrust back in the hills, last week gave an interview defiantly proclaiming Cuba's firm intention to go right on trying to export its revolution throughout Latin America. What is more, said Che, "if the rockets had remained, we would have used them all and directed them against the very heart of the U.S., including New York, in our defense against aggression. But we haven't got them, so we shall fight with what we've got."

Guevara's more bellicose remarks were blue-penciled out by the Worker's London editors—Moscow has decreed a softer line these days.

Now apparently this article was written just a week after the interview, and it claims that this line was taken out of the published version. This makes it seem more likely that this could've just been made up, or that Time had some really good access to leaks in the Daily Worker. Besides, Cuba never had control over the Soviet nukes so it doesn't make a lot of sense to he would say this.
"Neither Maoist, nor internationalist, nor a movement" - heiss93 on the MIM
Soviet cogitations: 10737
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 18 Dec 2008, 04:27
Quote:
in our defence against aggression

Che supporting using every available option if the United States attacked Cuba.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
Soviet cogitations: 3448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jun 2006, 15:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Party Bureaucrat
Post 18 Dec 2008, 12:42
I've heard both Che and Castro say they would have fired the missiles if Cuba was invaded, however it makes no sense for Cuba to fire first. It's also important to note that neither of them would have had authorisation to fire, they were Soviet missiles, just based on Cuba.
The moment one accepts the notion of 'totalitarianism', one is firmly locked within the liberal-democratic horizon. - Slavoj Žižek
Soviet cogitations: 10461
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Aug 2006, 17:42
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
R.I.P.
Post 18 Dec 2008, 13:37
Quote:
It's also important to note that neither of them would have had authorisation to fire, they were Soviet missiles, just based on Cuba.

Whitten, this is of course the biggest piece of information many people have either overlooked or forgotten.
Soviet cogitations: 6887
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Nov 2007, 08:37
Unperson
Post 19 Dec 2008, 04:12
If the USA invaded Cuba, then it would have meant WWIII as there was a 40 000 strong Soviet troop presence on the island, and battlefield nuclear weapons with release authority delegated to the commander of the Soviet contingent.
banistansig1
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.