Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Register ][ Login ]

soviet paratroopers

Log-in to remove these advertisements.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 41
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Jun 2005, 22:22
Pioneer
Post 28 Jun 2005, 03:17
i saw this on a ww2 forum i frequent and i was lmao. no one knows wether this is true or a myth.
Quote:
A rumour widely circulated among Hungarian military buffs reads thus:

It is well-known that the Soviet Union was among the first countries to realise the potential of airborne operations in wartime. In the late 1920s The Soviet Air Force headquarters was considering the possibility of dropping airborne troops from transport aircraft behind enemy lines in case of war. A study was prepared and submitted to the STAVKA (Red Army General Headquarters).

The STAVKA saw potential in such units and gave its blessing to their formation. However, it also came to the conclusion that operations proposed by the VVS would be too expensive and therefore decided to severely limit the budget allocated for the creation of the new units. Apparently certain pieces of equipment had to be abandoned as a result. But there was nothing to skimp concerning the transport aircrafts and basic equipment since all of these were necessary for a successful airborne operation. The STAVKA has reached the rather imaginative conclusion that paratroopers will not be equipped with parachutes since the mass production thereof would put too much a strain on the Sovier hosiery industry.

As a result, the first exercise undetaken by the nascent Soviet airborne forces took place in the winter during which paratroopers were stuffed into strew mattresses accompanied with strew (of course) and then pushed out of the transport aircraft flying horizontally 5-10 metres above a snowfield. There were no survivors - the STAVKA forgot to take the plane's airspeed into consideration.

The story is posted here in Hungarian: http://blog.tomcatpolo.hu/blog/balfasz/20040831.html
"Only The Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
Soviet cogitations: 1791
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Dec 2004, 11:58
Party Member
Post 28 Jun 2005, 09:34
Stories, which is a suitable title for such filth, can be laughed at. "the STAVKA forgot to take the plane's airspeed into consideration." - that would be one of the things done, obviously. Soviet paratroopers were most likely the most technological advanced in the world, in terms of strategies and equipment - these can only be achieved through concise experiments, in which testing air speeds would be common, something which would not easily be forgotton.

The story is untrue.
Soviet cogitations: 2820
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Feb 2005, 02:51
Party Bureaucrat
Post 30 Jun 2005, 08:44
It was true that Soviet airborne troops weren't equiped with parachutes at the beginning, but I doubt that "There were no survivors - the STAVKA forgot to take the plane's airspeed into consideration. " is credible, but of course, it was later found that it was more practical to have parachutes.

The USSR was the first country to actually consider the possiblity of using paratroops at a strategic level, excercises conducted in the thirties were of great success, and greatly influenced the development of airborne forces of Germany and western allies, but due to the great purge, experienced officers were shot and heavy aircraft designers were sent to GULAG's, the development of the Soviet airborne forces was stifled.
Soviet cogitations: 2775
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Sep 2004, 23:23
Party Bureaucrat
Post 02 Jul 2005, 05:37
This reminds me of A story I was told of the Indian Airborne forces:

Once, a commander asked an airborne unit to go on a dangerous assignment that involved dropping from high altitude behind enemy lines, etc. The Airborne units commander replied: "Well do it, but Only if we get to use parachutes"

As for that story: I cannot believe the soviets would be stupid enough to drop people out of planes (even at low altitudes) without parachutes. That's just idiotic. THEY WOULD HAVE TESTED IT ON DUMMIES OR COWS FIRST!!

Whoppee for Comrade Sergei.
Soviet cogitations: 1702
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Oct 2004, 21:15
Party Member
Post 02 Jul 2005, 06:06
Actually, I doubt parachutes were included in any early airborne units. I've seen b&w footage of men walking off the trailing edge of the wings at very low altitudes (and at low airspeeds, obviously
).
"Shake your chains to earth, like dew / Which in sleep had fall'n on you: / YE ARE MANY-THEY ARE FEW." - Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'The Masque of Anarchy'
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Jul 2005, 12:06
Quote:
THEY WOULD HAVE TESTED IT ON DUMMIES OR COWS FIRST!!

==well, neither dummies nor cows would give any useful results, as dummies won't respond to the impact like humans, and cow would not adjust their posture in the air and would be injured in the drop for sure.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Jul 2005, 15:23
we'll, i'm sure they wouldn't send out fully trained paratroopers first, and not a whole bunch of them. Maybe take one criminal or something and try it on him.

Soviet cogitations: 2845
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2004, 20:31
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Jul 2005, 15:48
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Jul 2005, 16:00
They loook like they probably have parachutes on.

Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Jul 2005, 17:39
That is not proper paratrooper transport plane for sure.
Soviet cogitations: 1019
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2004, 21:30
Party Member
Post 03 Jul 2005, 18:08
Quote:
THEY WOULD HAVE TESTED IT ON DUMMIES OR COWS FIRST!!

Or in Stalins case with people who are "politically unreliable"
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Jul 2005, 18:46
Quote:
Or in Stalins case with people who are "politically unreliable"

And there were plenty of them.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 04 Jul 2005, 06:01
Quote:
That is not proper paratrooper transport plane for sure.

==That is the TB-3 long range bomber, which is also used for transport roles, it is used by the Soviet airborne forces before C-47 and Li-2.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 04 Jul 2005, 11:46
I know what it is, but it is not proper paratrooper transport palne. The paratroopers have to jump from the wing.
Last edited by Carius on 15 Jul 2005, 22:14, edited 2 times in total.
Soviet cogitations: 2510
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2004, 20:50
Party Bureaucrat
Post 04 Jul 2005, 12:16
The guy who always deletes my moderation wrote:
I know what it is, but it is not proper paratrooper transport palne. The paratroopers have to jump from the wing.

Well my friend that's because paratroops were a new weapon at that time. There simply were no planes which were designed to carry paratroops.

Ya Basta!
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 04 Jul 2005, 12:35
Quote:
Well my friend that's because paratroops were a new weapon at that time. There simply were no planes which were designed to carry paratroops.

cargo and passenger planes did exist. they could have used those(if it was economical).

it's not that the soviets were stupid. it's that they were too freaking poor(at that time).
Party Bureaucrat
Post 07 Jul 2005, 05:03
Quote:
cargo and passenger planes did exist. they could have used those(if it was economical).

it's not that the soviets were stupid. it's that they were too freaking poor(at that time).

==The TB-3 was a cargo plane.

Quote:

==Why is it not proper? the door was above the wing so the paratroopers had to jump off from the wing.
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 07 Jul 2005, 07:06
Quote:
==The TB-3 was a cargo plane.
it may have been but look at that thing. they could have found far better cargo planes if they had the money.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 07 Jul 2005, 08:21
Quote:
it may have been but look at that thing. they could have found far better cargo planes if they had the money.

==TB-3 was designed in 1930, quite an old design, and was retired from service in 1942.
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 07 Jul 2005, 09:09
uh, thanx for that info. interesting.
Log-in to submit your comments and remove Infolinks advertisements.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Historical Forums: The History Forum. Political Forums: The Politics Forum, The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Siberian Fox network. Privacy.