Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Reflecting on Conflict in Syria

Soviet cogitations: 1015
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Aug 2011, 22:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Party Member
Post 30 May 2013, 22:22
All bets are off since the embargo on guns being sold to sides of the Syrian conflict was lifted.
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 31 May 2013, 16:51
They pretty much already had unlimited arms already. Only difference now is that Russia can give Assad the s-300 air defense system (and the UK/France can give al-nusra whatever they want).

What's interesting is that Israel has said it will destroy the s-300 no matter what, despite the fact that they will be manned by Russian advisors and attacking them is tantamount to attacking Russia. Personally I think it's saber-rattling but if they do this conflagration could expand quite fast.
Soviet cogitations: 2294
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Aug 2010, 14:21
Party Bureaucrat
Post 31 May 2013, 17:56
Unlike the Patriot, the s-300 can be deployed in 5 minutes. Israël can't attack the s-300 before setup.

"Fishing is part of agriculture" Gred
"Loz, you are like me" Yami
"I am one of the better read Marxists on this site" Gred
Soviet cogitations: 4443
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 01 Jun 2013, 03:09
Dagoth Ur wrote:
What's interesting is that Israel has said it will destroy the s-300 no matter what, despite the fact that they will be manned by Russian advisors and attacking them is tantamount to attacking Russia. Personally I think it's saber-rattling but if they do this conflagration could expand quite fast.

It's amazing what the world lets Israel get away these days with this type of brazenly aggressive behaviour. "No...we're not going to let you have these purely defensive systems."

Also guys, nothing to celebrate here quite yet in regards to the S-300. First off, it won't begin arriving to Syria until next year. Secondly, in what has become a typical schizophrenic display of militant posturing combined with a desire to placate the West (where the elite holds much of its capital), Russia continues to send the signal that perhaps it can be bought off by some Western enticements.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Philosophized
Post 01 Jun 2013, 07:34
According to Assad the s-300 has already landed in Syria.
Soviet cogitations: 2408
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Ideology: Other
Forum Commissar
Post 01 Jun 2013, 21:24
At the moment who is winning in Syria? It depends on who you listen to and I cannot gather any conclusion as to which side is pressing on. It seems like there is a stalemate.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 02 Jun 2013, 00:44
Many improvements on the ground. The army is now on the offensive, Qusayr shouldn't last long. Erdogan is now struggling against his own population, Turkish support for the so-called rebellion might not last very long.

Soviet cogitations: 2408
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Ideology: Other
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Jun 2013, 18:38
Look what FSA did. How can they do this to an old man?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEvZAzec7Dk
Party Bureaucrat
Post 05 Jun 2013, 05:59
The city of Qusayr is now free. Aleppo is the next target.

Party Bureaucrat
Post 08 Jun 2013, 22:01
Video: Belgian fighters behead man in Syria

A new video has surfaced allegedly filmed in Syria that shows a group of rebels, some of them speaking Flemish, use a large knife to behead a man.

The rebels, chanting "God is great," first try to slice the man's head off, but then begin hacking at his throat after failing to make a clean cut.

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/vi ... -man-syria

Video: Civilians come under fire from rebels

http://news.sky.com/story/1091428/syria ... rom-rebels

Party Bureaucrat
Post 10 Jun 2013, 01:07
A 15 years old teenager was executed publicly by Al Nusra terrorists in Damas, in Front of his father and mother, a bullet in the mouth and another in the neck. He was selling coffee in the street when he had an argument with someone and said: "Even if Prophet Muhammad comes down from paradise, I won't become a believer". Terrorists arrested him, whipped him and killed him.

http://www.lemonde.fr/proche-orient/art ... _3218.html

Party Bureaucrat
Post 22 Jun 2013, 02:13

Soviet cogitations: 4443
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 22 Jun 2013, 04:34
Courageous and forthright defense of Syria by Irish MP Clare Daly of the United Left Party.

Quoting Ms. Daly, "To be honest with you, we were really speculating this morning whether you were going to deck the Cabinet out in leprechaun hats decorated with a bit of stars and stripes to really mark [our] abject humiliation here."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhUUScVZ5Hc
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Party Bureaucrat
Post 24 Jun 2013, 04:12
A nice picture of the Kurdish Popular Defense Units (PYD - communists).

Philosophized
Post 24 Jun 2013, 04:16
Syria has made me abandon sectarianism as a Muslim altogether. Alhamduillah for the PYD and their battle against imperialism/islamism.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 24 Jun 2013, 06:00
The PYD are not the worst, but they are a little stupid. At the beginning they were just defending their positions, but a few months ago they took a more anti-government stance and said they were willing to overthrow Assad while opposing the terrorists (on the ground they sometimes help the government), but what does that mean strategically? If Assad falls, then they will follow him in the grave. Their only chance is that Assad wins, but in such a way that he would be forced to negociate and give the Kurdes more autonomy. I think they should help the government instead and continue the negociations.

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1020
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2011, 15:17
Party Member
Post 02 Jul 2013, 19:03
Women in Aleppo are reporting a recent fatwa on makeup and "immodest dress."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/syria-rebels-ban-provocative-dress-aleppo_n_3529747.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Rand Paul actually made a good point to McCain: "If You Don't Know Whom You're Taking Photos With, How Do You Know Whom You're Arming?"
Soviet cogitations: 1093
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Mar 2008, 22:11
Party Member
Post 02 Jul 2013, 21:53
Both Rand Paul and John McCain are dumbasses. I wouldn't put anything with Rand Paul cause he'd just turn around and cut your throat. Libertarians do that. I bet McCain's office knew. How could a very high ranking senator, who has been there for a long time, not have the resources to know this shit? If he doesn't he needs to retire.

As far as the rebels they are horrible. They also beheaded a journalist from Al Jazeera. Whatever your thoughts on AJ are, it's still cruel to behead someone for trying to bring information and isn't involved in the battle except in that means. There have been rumors that the rebels are raping and awfully attacking Christian's in the area. I think also Lebanese. Why the US wants to arm these people is beyond me. I worry what would happen if they took power?
Philosophized
Post 02 Jul 2013, 22:03
It's called imperialism. And that AJ reporter deserved what they got. It delicious irony that the rats would kill one of their own reporters.
Soviet cogitations: 417
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Nov 2012, 01:18
Komsomol
Post 02 Jul 2013, 22:35
Quote:
Women in Aleppo are reporting a recent fatwa on makeup and "immodest dress."

It's just some random local religious council.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.