Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Soviet "monkey model" weaponry

Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 15 Mar 2010, 19:50
I dont' know how a Soviet border guard could have fired 5000 rounds(that's a whole crate) of ammunition without anyone noticing.
It's not so cheap.
Soviet cogitations: 324
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Feb 2010, 11:57
Resident Admiral
Post 15 Mar 2010, 20:28
maybe it was a text..
but after all my knowledge about light and medium weapons is not so good, i prefer ships and a little of aircrafts..
Oh.. and about this, if someones appreciates my little researches about soviet submarines and spanish navy i will be happy to see your opinion about some details..
If they have been appreciated i will be more motivated to translate the reports of naval surface battles.. that, in my opinion, some of them are very exciting.. there are several stories that deserve movies
Soviet cogitations: 5167
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Nov 2007, 06:31
Embalmed
Post 15 Mar 2010, 20:59
Was the soviet navy called the red navy?
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 15 Mar 2010, 21:00
In songs and movies maybe
Soviet cogitations: 324
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Feb 2010, 11:57
Resident Admiral
Post 15 Mar 2010, 22:10
first name was Red Fleet of Workers and Peasants then was renamed Naval Fleet of the USSR, but the nick-name Red Fleet was used.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9424
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2010, 04:53
Loz wrote:
I dont' know how a Soviet border guard could have fired 5000 rounds(that's a whole crate) of ammunition without anyone noticing.
It's not so cheap.

They had training constantly and often had cases when people tried to cross into the ussr illegally...

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 16 Mar 2010, 08:06
Quote:
They had training constantly and often had cases when people tried to cross into the ussr illegally...

So, what would happen if somebody was caught? Were they shot or sent to detention and deported?
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9424
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 16 Mar 2010, 16:52
idk but most of the USSR's southern borders were with China, Afghanistan, Iran, and Turkey...

wikipedia wrote:
After the formation of the KGB, Soviet Border Troops became subordinated to this agency and remained so until the end of Soviet rule. As such, the Troops were concentrating on the tasks of preventing espionage infiltrations. The Border Guards were involved in the fighting during the Sino-Soviet border conflict and the Soviet war in Afghanistan and a number of them were even awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union for their bravery during these conflicts.

To keep Soviet border intact (including its complicated terrain and harsh climate zones), the Border Troops employed significant manpower, intensive maritime presence, and a dense and sophisticated system of field engineering devices. The most notable in that system was the trace-control strip (Russian: контрольно-следовая полоса) - a primitive labour-demanding method making surface crossing virtually impossible.

The Border Troops consisted of conscripts drafted by the same system as for the Soviet Army, and small number of professional enlistees. Officers were trained in specialized academies (particularly, in the city of Khmelnytskyi, Ukrainian SSR). Both conscripts and officer candidates for Border Troops were carefully selected and checked by the KGB. This made service in the troops privileged.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 4
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Mar 2010, 19:05
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 16 Mar 2010, 22:01
Hi folks, I'm a newbie (and probably not typical here
) but I'm really interested.... And this dicussion is very intersting. There are a couple of things going on here:

1. Certain types of equipment that was exported was well below the quality expected by Soviet "Class A" units such as GSFG. That was one reason why the Poles and Czechs (and Hungarians) developed their own versions of that same equipment.
2. When the same quality equipment was provided such as the ZSu 23-4 and SA-6's (I think it was the SA-6's but could have been the SA-4) to the Egyptians and NV it worked amazingly well. But it needed to be used as reccomended, quite often these countries wouldn't treat the equipment in the way the Soviets reccomended.
3. You really can't think of Soviet Era equipment in the same way as NATO and US equipment. It wasn't meant to "last" in the same way. The weapons systems are generally made for battles of movement - so unit A say with T-55 moves up and the unit has attrition to critical mass both through combat losses and then through mechanical failure (all systems fail under this kind of stress). The Soviets anticipated moving whole units to replace those units lost. Then AFTER the battle there would salvage operations. US and NATO had and has the concept of in battle recovery and replacement for the same units. So the Soviet equipment was very reliable but could appear unreliable - the systems are meant to be used en masse. These units are meant for use and replacement, not use and in place refurbishment.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.