Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Should I join the PSL?

POST REPLY
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 363
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2011, 08:20
Komsomol
Post 06 Apr 2011, 08:29
I am not sure whether I should join them or not? What are the responsibilities of joining? Would I have to attend meetings or rallies? I hope that some users on here are current members and can tell me about PSL as it does look promising.
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2011, 00:16
It depends on your ideology and whether or not there is an active cell near you. If you have a general tendency towards the ideology of Stalin or Mao, some of the people in the PSL might severely piss you off. There is also no reason to join if they are active around you.
Image
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2011, 02:03
I think the PSL is about the best progressive Party in the US, so I would say yes, go see them and consider joining. I can't speak from personal experience as a member but I have had some dealings with them.

Quote:
If you have a general tendency towards the ideology of Stalin or Mao, some of the people in the PSL might severely piss you off.


I've seen stuff from the PSL which could only be called pro-Stalin/Mao. Although they have Trotskyist roots, they aren't the foaming at the mouth Stalin the baby killer variety, which is partly what makes them so good.
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 07 Apr 2011, 05:59
proletarian wrote:
There is also no reason to join if they are active around you.

Did you mean to say there's no reason to join if they aren't active around you?

Fellow Comrade wrote:
Although they have Trotskyist roots

You sure about that? I was under the impression they were Marxist Leninist. Their wiki page doesn't even mention Trotsky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_for_Socialism_and_Liberation
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 07 Apr 2011, 06:17
No the PSL is certainly based in Trotksyism and there are a lot of Trots in their ranks. Really the PSL is one of the first truly post-USSR communist parties. They, like me, consider the Stalin vs Trotsky argument as a historical one rather than the pivotal one that many Stalinist/Maoist and Trotskyist parties claim it is.
Image
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 07 Apr 2011, 06:22
Hmm that's interesting. It's probably for the best that they put the Stalin vs. Trotsky argument behind them.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 07 Apr 2011, 06:31
It's more than that though. They've put being a Stalinist or a Trotskyist behind them. I mean essentially they're identical conceptions of communism divided by the bones of men dead for over half a century.
Image
[+-]
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 349
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Komsomol
Post 07 Apr 2011, 09:27
I was reading their "about us" section. They seem a bit to open too identity politics to me. Does this reflect their actual views, or is it just a proselytizing tool?
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 5167
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Nov 2007, 06:31
Embalmed
Post 07 Apr 2011, 17:20
For communists, it's both.
Image
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2011, 20:03
thekraken wrote:
Did you mean to say there's no reason to join if they aren't active around you?

Yes, thank you. Smartphones= typos
Fellow Comrade wrote:
Although they have Trotskyist roots, they aren't the foaming at the mouth Stalin the baby killer variety, which is partly what makes them so good.

No, but a lot of their members tend to be. Just because the party is open doesn't mean that their members are. I've met my fair share of "Stalinists are red fascists" among the ranks of card holders.
Dagoth Ur wrote:
It's more than that though. They've put being a Stalinist or a Trotskyist behind them. I mean essentially they're identical conceptions of communism divided by the bones of men dead for over half a century.

That's a recent development, until the new website design, they had a section about fighting fascism and Stalinism. I tried to find it again, but I couldn't because of the new website layout.

Of all American socialist parties, the PSL is the best. Just approach with caution.
Image
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 10797
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 07 Apr 2011, 22:00
FlairPhoenix wrote:
Should I join the PSL?


Yes. If you like their platform, why wouldn't you join them?


I'm currently finishing up my candidacy program until I get to be a full member of the PSL. I've been organizing in central Pennsylvania with only one other comrade in the PSL for a year now. I get on weekly calls to discuss party matters such as organizing and attending rallies, marches, educational teach-ins, ect. That being said we're all human and sometimes shit happens when you can't make it for a call or to an event. The PSL is great because it is active. Even though I was inbetween the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh branch, I recieved a lot of support on how to be active in an area without a party presecense.

Contact the PSL
Join the PSL
Image

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
[+-]
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 349
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Komsomol
Post 08 Apr 2011, 03:21
Quote:
For communists, it's both.

I realize that for many communists, identity politics are very important. Not really my cupa tea though, so I was wondering if someone with a bit more familiarity with the party could clarify whether or not it's just bullshit to get people to join/keep people interested with the goal of introducing more in depth analysis later, or if it reflects the actual views of the core party (I suppose you could say).

I'm not as worried about the history of anti-stalinism. It is certainly understandable (politically) that they would want to distance themselves from him.
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 1537
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jan 2010, 05:46
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Party Member
Post 12 Apr 2011, 20:35
thekraken wrote:
You sure about that? I was under the impression they were Marxist Leninist. Their wiki page doesn't even mention Trotsky.

The PSL broke off of the WWP which broke of off the trotskyist SWP.
Image

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxemburg
Long Live The Bolivarian Revolution!
RIP Muamar Qadafi
RIP Hugo Chavez
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 30
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Dec 2010, 02:48
Pioneer
Post 25 Apr 2011, 21:16
Really depends on who you ask. The PSL is Pan-Socialist, which attracts lots and lots. Because for example if you say 'Trotsky, Stalin? WE LOVE EM BOTH' and don't draw lines in the sand you can be attractive to whoever. So of course, it's all opinion. Soviet Empire's American members are clustered PRIMARILY (not all) in PSL. So yeah, ask the PSL how great they are, they'll tell you. ;p
http://americanpartyoflabor.org/

APL- Non-Revisionist Marxism Leninism
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 26 Apr 2011, 02:05
Being a member of a communist party in the U.S. is stupid. Stay independent, stay off of black lists.
Image
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 10797
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 26 Apr 2011, 02:26
Image


I find that picture relevent. Being unorganized doesn't do anything.
Image

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 363
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2011, 08:20
Komsomol
Post 26 Apr 2011, 04:59
What do you mean by black list? Like would my name be in some government database and I get flagged at government facilities or even airports?
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 26 Apr 2011, 05:43
proletarian wrote:
Being a member of a communist party in the U.S. is stupid. Stay independent, stay off of black lists.


If you're not willing to take the heat of being a known communist you're not a revolutionary.
Image
[+-]
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 349
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Komsomol
Post 26 Apr 2011, 05:49
black list... that doesn't exist anymore. And if it does come up again in America's future, it will be because there is a communist movement at large to oppose, something that you as a communist should probably want to be a part of anyway.
User avatar
Soviet cogitations: 531
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Apr 2011, 08:41
Komsomol
Post 26 Apr 2011, 05:58
Dagoth Ur wrote:
If you're not willing to take the heat of being a known communist you're not a revolutionary.


true true, as counter-productive Communist parties seem in contrast to their "revolutionary intentions", they actually give me at least, a sense of community and cooperation with others with the same ideas working towards a similar goal. "strength in numbers" as they say. I have no problem going door to door telling people about socialism and anti imperialism. Ive actually done that a few times, the police came, put me in the car and the person who called the cops said i was some sort of terrorist
but when they questioned me, they had nothing on me, I have broken no laws, hurt no one, and did everything legally possible to not get in trouble. you dont need a permit to go door to door talking about a political or religious philosophy in my city. Of course if there was a "socialist parade"
I would get a lot more attention. either way, I got my point across to people when going solo, whether some accepted it or not is up to them but I know that if there was more people it COULD work better. I laughed the whole ride down to the station, I laughed when they put me in the car. The officer was ignorant and probably assumed something totally false but either way, I took notice for my actions while contributing to the socialist/communist cause and I dont regret any of it. part of me knew that was going to happen, and Im glad it did because now its a funny joke I tell myself whenever I think about ignorance. I don't even know if anyone here believes it but I dont care because it happened and its true and funny as hell
I think ill end my rant/story now....
As a karate expert, I will not talk about anybody in this room......" - Jimmy McMillan
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.