Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Spartacist League

Soviet cogitations: 10797
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 18 Jul 2010, 04:33
Spartacist League aka: International Communist League (Fourth Internationalist) (wiki link isn't working). What are everyone's thoughts on them? And have you had any experience with them?

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 18 Jul 2010, 06:03
They were fairly active in Philadelphia in the early-to-mid 1990's. One of the last of the hardcore, no compromise Trotskyist groups. They were conspicuous at rallies (at least in the downtown area), and had a paper called Workers Vanguard. I haven't heard much from them in the decade since I've left Philly. Their official website is here. The link is working perfectly well, for me at least.

I remember them being very doctrinaire and simultaneously standoffish and pushy at rallies. When they were forced to interact with other groups at the rally (such as my party at the time, SLP, and occasionally Black Block and even the RCP once or twice), they didn't like it all, and on two occasions, left prematurely without even setting up their table. I couldn't say if this was due to poor leadership in the Philly branch, or a system wide characteristic, but they never struck me as terribly well organized.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 26 Jul 2010, 18:53
I thought that I'd read somewhere that they were trying to separate Marx and Engels, and were denouncing dialectics. It's this new ultraleftist fad.

I'm just not a fan of Worker's Vanguard Or the Spartacist League
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.