Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Third World Maoists on Language

Soviet cogitations: 208
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 May 2009, 19:37
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 27 Sep 2009, 17:09
What is language? Language is a tool which people use to talk with each other. The bourgeoisie can talk with the proletariat, so they can't use different language. Therefore, language must be class neutral.

I agree with Stalin view on language.
"Stalin brought us up — on loyalty to the people, He inspired us to labor and to heroism!" Soviet Anthem 1944.
Let's work hard and do valorous deed!
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 27 Sep 2009, 18:43
Engelsist, that was probably the most intelligent post in this whole thread.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 258
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 03 Oct 2009, 17:50
Komsomol
Post 10 Oct 2009, 15:51
Very interesting topic, dear comrades. I definitely agree that languages, as communicative systems, are class insensitive because they have historically served the purpose of transcending class barriers in communication, but it is obviously true that words may be connotatively loaded in different ways within the same language and classes may use them in different ways to convey different ideas and viewpoints, to reflect their world view. Moreover, sociolects are a matter of fact.
That said, it is even true that there are languages that are mostly spoken by members of one certain class. The Nahuatl language talked about in the article, for ex., is almost never spoken by bourgeois. in Italy we have several local languages, which are, at varying degrees, rarely spoken by members of the bourgeoisie, who usually speak only Italian (though the Neo-Nazi Lega Nord is misappropriating the defense of that cultural richness in Northen Italy and using it only to polemicize, instead of seriously promoting the use of the local languages as it was for ex. done in the USSR). Antonio Gramsci's Letters from the Gaol are very interesting as a Marxist text defending the richness embodied by the plurality of languages, each one a masterpiece whose loss is akin to the loss of the masterpieces of art.
If you tremble at the slightest indignation done to a fellow human, then you are my comrade-in-arms. Commander E. Guevara de la Serna
Soviet cogitations: 215
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Mar 2009, 04:41
Pioneer
Post 19 Dec 2009, 22:13
Kudos to Engelsist. Language is indeed class neutral; attempts to "proletarian-ize" English coming from petty-bourgeois ideologues is not going to help move any group of people towards proletarian revolution - only when communists get involved in the class struggle does their work have any meaning.
"Discover your humanity and your love in revolution." -George Jackson
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.