Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Ex-Yugoslav Nationalism

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 220
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jun 2004, 04:41
Pioneer
Post 15 Aug 2006, 22:32
As I understand this, all the Slovenes, Croats, Bosniaks, Serbs, Montenegrins and Macedonians all considered themselves Slavs during Tito's rule. (I have this old almanac that lists the ethnic groups as Slavs, Albanians, and Hungarians.) And since Tito's death all the groups suddenly split apart into different mini-ethnicities. Now they all have their own countries. I don't know much about the psychological process of nationalism, but will it ever die out and they want to unite again?
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 3553
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Jul 2006, 00:10
Ideology: Other Leftist
Forum Commissar
Post 16 Aug 2006, 00:24
only if tito raises from the grave

Jugoslavija je bleda slika
premrzlega partizana
zato je njeno ljudstvo navajeno trpeti
zato je njeno ljudstvo pripravljeno umreti.

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 2880
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Nov 2005, 17:55
Party Bureaucrat
Post 17 Aug 2006, 19:16
True, it would probably take the resurrection of Tito to reunite the mini-ethnicities. Unfortunately, I don't see reunion as a possibility, because the lure of EU membership has forced these smaller nations to disassociate themselves with Serbia. Of course, in the future, once Serbia becomes an EU member, the reunion of Yugoslavia will be considered irrelevant.

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
--Napoleon Bonaparte
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 18 Aug 2006, 01:03
serbia is not yugoslavia, all the nations are, serbia is mearly a republic in the federation. and all of this nations are angry on one another (we and serbs are friends though). EU is not ethernal, it will collaps. and when it does perhaps we will rebuild yugoslavia with macedonia as a model of the system. or perhaps we will even establis a pan-slavic union with other brother nations

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
Party Bureaucrat
Post 22 Aug 2006, 15:25
I agree that Serbia is not Yugoslavia, but conventional propaganda has assigned Serbia as the principal inheritor of Yugoslavia (just as Russia is the principal inheritor of the USSR).

My skepticism about the reunion of Yugoslavia is mostly based on the fact that the EU is a growing institution today. Despite some small differences, the main governments of the EU are closely associated with North America and the UK, and as long as these nations are prosperous, the EU has a long future, so I don't see it collapsing anytime soon. It is plausible though.

--Napoleon Bonaparte
Soviet cogitations: 10461
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Aug 2006, 17:42
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
R.I.P.
Post 22 Aug 2006, 16:53
This cannot be productive for either side of the spectrum to have all of these breakaway republics...It seems a bit race driven or at least the origianl break up was...

Nationalism is shortsightedness
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 22 Aug 2006, 23:33
i heard that eu economy is not doing very well and that it could collaps in the next 20 years, unless radical (neoliberal most probably) reforms are taken. i dont think many people would like that and that could be a reason for eu to fall apart. if we look at it positive it will be relativley painless with britain leaving it first. in the worst case neofascists like front national will take over control of their countries and seperate from the union.

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
R.I.P.
Post 23 Aug 2006, 03:37
Quote:
I heard that eu economy is not doing very well and that it could collaps in the next 20 years, unless radical (neoliberal most probably) reforms are taken

I'm sure neo-liberal measures will be their first attempt... like you said it probably will not go over very well.

one of the other issues I heard that the EU is not the only one in this boat.....there is a large spending country in the western hemisphere that has a few economic problems.

That's two big ships taking on water right now.....
Party Bureaucrat
Post 23 Aug 2006, 23:02
If you don't mind, I was wondering if you could provide a source that spells out how the EU is not doing well. I would like to have a more informed view of the EU.

--Napoleon Bonaparte
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 24 Aug 2006, 03:57
i'd suggest looking for it on goolge, it's full of reports, on wikipedia as well.

http://www.euractiv.com/en/euro/eu-econ ... cle-137536

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/pub ... 005_en.htm

on the last one they're hinting a bit about increasing the liberalisation. its very hard to acutlly run an union with so many diffirent countries with diffirent economies and growts

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
R.I.P.
Post 03 Sep 2006, 19:48
Quote:
on the last one they're hinting a bit about increasing the liberalisation. its very hard to acutlly run an union with so many diffirent countries with diffirent economies and growts

the whole Idea was to level the playing field,,, trickle down economics at it's finest... but the weak do not grow as fast as the strong and the chasm widens.....
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Sep 2006, 19:59
exactly. this would only benefit the largest countries and poor would still be poor. i say we trust in statism to insure a slow, but stable and just market growth

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
R.I.P.
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:01
Quote:
i say we trust in statism to insure a slow, but stable and just market growth

self reliancy..not to ignore the outside world, but to be able to last on your own...
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:05
yes, of course international trade must be used as well, otherwise there is no capital. therefore all products must be superior to others, for which i'm certain goverment can take care of with extensive tests, since we're talking about prosperity for all, not just one company.

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
R.I.P.
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:10
The only point to be avoided it trading of natural resourses or raw materials in order to recieve manufactured goods.

which incidently is the problem that keeps 3rd world nations 3rd world... trade deficits that most likely will never be overcome....
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:18
i agree. and moving industry to the places with cheap labour and selling land are also bad in my book. i'd say the most important issue is to stop urbanisation, we must find the way to preserve nature. i have no idea how people in the westren europe can survive with all concrete around them and no forests . it might be hard, but thats the best long term way

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
R.I.P.
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:34
some of the most fertile soil on the entire world is right here in northern illinois and we're building houses on it....
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:46
that is horrible! is it this land at least in the hands of the goverment or was it sold?

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
R.I.P.
Post 03 Sep 2006, 20:57
private party to private party.

the value of residential development is very high.

these houses are gong for obscene amounts of money....the farming folks that own private farms are all but nonexsistant in this region the ones left are corporate farms

the problem is there is no mass transit to get people into chicago from the rural areas and the traffic is ridiculous.
fossil fuels are double in price from just 3 years ago...

problems are brewing...
[+-]
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Sep 2006, 21:15
thats one more reason to put all the land in the hands of a goverment. how many hungry people could that land feed? not just one, like in this case. liberalisation will destroy itself and take the entire world with them in the process

premrzlega partizana

-Via Ofenziva

Forum Rules
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.