Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Images of genocide memorial sites in Cambodia

Soviet cogitations: 1583
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Jul 2004, 07:46
Unperson
Post 29 Oct 2005, 10:36
*Apologies for the unresized images.
**Apologies for what you might think are poor quality images. I am not a professional photographer, I do not work for National Geographic.

Please note that only Choueng Ek has been privatized, into the hands of a relatively unknown Japanese corporationed called JC Royal. This was done largely because the Cambodian government was under mounting pressure from the Japanese government and various Japanese corporate conglomorates to give something in exchange for the humanitarian aid that has been poured into Cambodia from that nation. In my time in the rural parts of west Cambodia, there were numerous statues and plaques dedicated to "international Cambodian-Japanese friendship" and numerous bridges had been built and roads had been paved by the Japanese.

This topic will likely cause more debate than questions it will answer, but after looking at some of the posts about Cambodia's history I felt the need to post these images.

Cambodia, unlike its neighbour Viet Nam, isn't significantly westernized yet. There are no 7-11s there, and McDonalds has toyed with the idea of setting up shop in Siem Reab and Phnom Penh, but has yet to do so. It looks like for the time being the Japanese and the Thais will be the most significant economic influence on the country, even though the US dollar is the de facto currency (riel is worthless; 4200 to the US dollar).
Soviet cogitations: 3508
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jun 2005, 23:39
Politburo
Post 08 Nov 2005, 07:49
Truly a terrible regime - certainly not a communist one....

'Soviet-Empire. 500% more methods than other leading brands.'
Pat
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 5520
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Jun 2004, 21:22
Embalmed
Post 04 Feb 2006, 13:21
Where are these images from?

I hope this doesn't get me banned again-Fontis
Soviet cogitations: 344
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 May 2005, 17:11
Komsomol
Post 04 Feb 2006, 13:37
They are a very black page in communist history
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.