Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Cuba's relations with Albania and China

Soviet cogitations: 1537
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jan 2010, 05:46
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Party Member
Post 03 Aug 2011, 22:26
Did Cuba have good relations with Hoxha's Albania, and Mao's China? I'm guessing not because Cuba worked with the soviets.

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxemburg
Long Live The Bolivarian Revolution!
RIP Muamar Qadafi
RIP Hugo Chavez
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 04 Aug 2011, 03:48
Not necessarily. Having worked with the Soviets does not mean necessarily having sided with the Soviets. The same goes for North Korea, where they maintained relations with both the USSR and the PRC during the Cold War. I admit I don't know a whole lot about this, but in China, people don't really have negative impressions of Cuba (and better impressions toward Cuba than Russia, though people have warmer feelings toward Russia, in spite of the history of the Sino-Soviet Split).

Not sure about Albania, but probably not as close, since Hoxha had a tendency of accusing everyone of being a revisionist and isolating his country.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Soviet cogitations: 88
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2011, 21:42
Ideology: Maoist
Pioneer
Post 08 Aug 2011, 02:54
Well I know Hoxha renounced Cuba as a revisionist state. I assume Cuba and Albania had poor relations
Soviet cogitations: 10
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Dec 2012, 04:28
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 19 Dec 2012, 05:02
I also feel that there was most likely an unhealthy, if not non-existant relation between Cuba and Albania.
Soviet cogitations: 1533
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Oct 2007, 15:55
Party Member
Post 19 Dec 2012, 19:32
Cuba had and does still have good relations with Vietnam. And seeing as Vietnam and China did not have good relations during the latter half of the Cold War leads me to believe that China and Cuba relations were lukewarm at best. However, I do recall Mao being displeased at the Soviets backing down over the Missile Crisis, suppose there was some early support for Cuba.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread!
We have beaten you to the moon, but you have beaten us in sausage making.- Nikita Khrushchev
Soviet cogitations: 729
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Mar 2011, 14:10
Komsomol
Post 20 Dec 2012, 21:51
In the early-to-mid 60's the Albanians, like the Chinese, tried to persuade the Cubans to not become pawns of Soviet social-imperialism. See also: http://www.revolutionarydemocracy.org/r ... ubaalb.htm

Che Guevara sympathized with the line of the Chinese and Albanians, calling the latter "our brothers" when refusing an attempt by the USSR and Czechoslovakia to economically pressure Albania in 1961, an attempt which they tried to involve the Cubans in. Despite this Che's "foco" theory was attacked as anti-Marxist, and the slavish adherence of the Castro leadership to the Soviet Union likewise harmed relations between Albania and China on one hand and Cuba on the other. Still, trade relations and whatnot did exist between Cuba and both states.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.