Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Some photos of NK

Soviet cogitations: 3799
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2006, 02:14
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 20 Nov 2013, 04:51
Here are some recent photos of North Korea.
It's interesting how it looks like old soviet photos.
There are many more at the photographer's instagram account.

I'll post a few, but if you're interested you should check them out.

"Where Argentina goes, Latin America will go".
Leonid Brezhnev

Forum Rules
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 20 Nov 2013, 14:09
Notice how the students in the computer room ( which i assume is the best equipped/most valuable of all in that school/university ) are all in winter jackets which sort of implies they don't have heating there.
Otherwise it looks gray and oppressive but that's how it is there, not that wintertime makes it any better looking.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 20 Nov 2013, 17:20
I think the girl in the red coat on the last picture has something nice about her.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 112
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Apr 2013, 20:13
Pioneer
Post 21 Nov 2013, 00:50
Mabool wrote:
I think the girl in the red coat on the last picture has something nice about her.

Kinda reminds me of Schindler's List.
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 21 Nov 2013, 09:02
Not this shit again guys; DPRK is no paradise but let's remember some causal factors. WR, I don't know if it was intentional, but that choice of words makes you sound like a teatard.

To me it looks like an cleaner, more organized version of cities outside Moscow I've been to, minus the cars and advertising. Also, there seems to be some sort of blue/grey filter laid over the photos, but maybe it's just me. Also, yes Loz, it does look like there is no heating in the school, like in the 90s, in Russia...the number 1 exporter of oil and gas in the world.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 3618
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Oct 2004, 15:15
Politburo
Post 21 Nov 2013, 11:37
soviet78 wrote:
Also, there seems to be some sort of blue/grey filter laid over the photos, but maybe it's just me.

Someone in the comment section mentioned that as well, or maybe it was just you.
If he did do that, then that would ironically be more 'censorship' than what Kim could do to him. 'Uncensored', by the way, implies that somehow it was not possible to make these pictures before, that these were banned or censored. A quick Google search shows thousands of pics like these.

On the other hand, I can imagine that a city like Pyongyang can look a bit drab and grim. I've been told (correct me if I'm wrong) that a city like East Berlin also used to look far greyer than it does now, because the government may have been able to build lots of housing for its population, but it could not afford to maintain them until the late 1980s, so they ended up looking a bit dilapidated. I can easily imagine it being the same in the DPRK, given the economic conditions.
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 21 Nov 2013, 13:13
Quote:
Also, yes Loz, it does look like there is no heating in the school, like in the 90s, in Russia...the number 1 exporter of oil and gas in the world.

That was due to chaos, corruption, stealing and generally the ruling "elite" not giving two shits about anyone else. Gee, seriously that can't be the case with DPRK!
Even if you hold that North Korea will never be capable of actually buying oil, coal or gas from Russia or elsewhere ( and that fact alone shows just how miserable their economy is, since even Bosnia or Montenegro can buy enough gas and oil for their own needs and these countries don't really produce anything ) they could have built nuclear power plants instead of wasting billions on atom bomb projects and reactors capable only of producing weapons of destruction.
In any case just the fact that students and children are forced to be cold even in schools is a reason enough for Kim and co. to be hanged.
Soviet cogitations: 112
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Apr 2013, 20:13
Pioneer
Post 21 Nov 2013, 16:55
soviet78 wrote:
WR, I don't know if it was intentional, but that choice of words makes you sound like a teatard.

Oh I'm sorry, I definitely wasn't trying to make it sound like a comparison between North Korea and Nazi Germany in any way. I apologize if that's how it came across.
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2011, 00:54
Komsomol
Post 23 Nov 2013, 14:00
Quote:
That was due to chaos, corruption, stealing and generally the ruling "elite" not giving two shits about anyone else. Gee, seriously that can't be the case with DPRK!
Even if you hold that North Korea will never be capable of actually buying oil, coal or gas from Russia or elsewhere ( and that fact alone shows just how miserable their economy is, since even Bosnia or Montenegro can buy enough gas and oil for their own needs and these countries don't really produce anything ) they could have built nuclear power plants instead of wasting billions on atom bomb projects and reactors capable only of producing weapons of destruction.
In any case just the fact that students and children are forced to be cold even in schools is a reason enough for Kim and co. to be hanged.

I was cold & had to wear coats in school in the mid to late 90's & I live in the UK.

Of course I wouldn't mind if somebody hung Blair.
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
Soviet cogitations: 1533
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Oct 2007, 15:55
Party Member
Post 25 Nov 2013, 00:23
Those apartment buildings look somewhat like Khrushchyovakas, wonder if they're named after Kim Il-Sung? If this is how drab Pyongyang looks, wonder how miserable other "cities" in North Korea are? It'd be interesting to see some pictures anywhere outside of Pyongyang.
We have beaten you to the moon, but you have beaten us in sausage making.- Nikita Khrushchev
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 25 Nov 2013, 01:51
The place itself doesn't actually look that bad. It's orderly, safe, and very clean. What it lacks, of course, is the true spark of community. No one is cutting the fool or even laughing over some ridiculous joke. When a place is too serious and solemn, there's a reason for it, and the reason can't be good.

To reiterate: I'd like to see even a handful of photos of North Koreans looking as though, for the moment at least, they don't have a care in the world. I can find thousands of such photos taken in Soviet times.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 143
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jun 2013, 09:08
Pioneer
Post 25 Nov 2013, 04:48
soviet78 wrote:
Not this shit again guys; DPRK is no paradise but let's remember some causal factors. WR, I don't know if it was intentional, but that choice of words makes you sound like a teatard.

To me it looks like an cleaner, more organized version of cities outside Moscow I've been to, minus the cars and advertising. Also, there seems to be some sort of blue/grey filter laid over the photos, but maybe it's just me. Also, yes Loz, it does look like there is no heating in the school, like in the 90s, in Russia...the number 1 exporter of oil and gas in the world.

Meanwhile just 'down the road':

many like this here, many are worse, much worse. My son teaches science, 70 in his class. Dutifully explains how the world was created in 6 days. Actually he has 8 less pupils, all 15, all girls. Offered jobs in a dance troupe touring South Korea. They were so excited at departure. They told me they would go on to Japan. Maybe, even Australia. "Sir..Sir!! That is close to where you are from--London!" "We could visit you..!" "That would be lovely" I replied.

The 'school run.'

School children use an inflated tire tube to cross a river to go to a public school in Rizal province east of Manila, Philippines. The students, who still has to hike daily for at least half an hour to and from school, sometimes are forced to skip classes or sleep over at relatives if the river gets swollen due to bad weather. The residents have been petitioning the local government to put up a hanging bridge to avoid the sometimes risky transport.
The world is riven by class — not race, gender, age or disability. There is only one human race, and any ideas that promote divisions between us do the work of capitalism.
Soviet cogitations: 1533
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Oct 2007, 15:55
Party Member
Post 25 Nov 2013, 21:29
Comrade Gulper wrote:
The place itself doesn't actually look that bad. It's orderly, safe, and very clean. What it lacks, of course, is the true spark of community. No one is cutting the fool or even laughing over some ridiculous joke. When a place is too serious and solemn, there's a reason for it, and the reason can't be good.

That reason is pretty obvious, or it could be that the event of photography is so rare in Pyongyang that North Koreans cannot act naturally in front of a lens.
We have beaten you to the moon, but you have beaten us in sausage making.- Nikita Khrushchev
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 25 Nov 2013, 21:36
Soviet192491 wrote:
That reason is pretty obvious

It's probably because getting too happy outside of the factory floor without ascribing one's happiness directly to the Three Kims will probably result in a distinct shortfall of happiness in one's future.
Quote:
or it could be that the event of photography is so rare in Pyongyang that North Koreans cannot act naturally in front of a lens.

You're kidding with this one, right? You big kidder, you!
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.