Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Two south Korean army ships sink, along with a crashed plane

Soviet cogitations: 3033
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Nov 2004, 20:06
Party Bureaucrat
Post 17 Nov 2010, 18:35
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... Id=5158314
Quote:
South Korea says 3 soldiers die after small boat capsizes during routine drill

By Kwang-Tae Kim (CP) – 8 hours ago

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea's army says three soldiers have died and another is unconscious after their boat capsized during a drill.

An army official says that eight soldiers were on board when their small boat turned over Wednesday in a river in Yeoju, some 65 miles (105 kilometres) southeast of Seoul.

The official says four other soldiers are in good condition. The army official refused to be identified, saying he wasn't authorized to speak to the media.

The accident comes five days after a South Korean spy plane crashed during routine training and its two pilots were killed.

Also last week, a South Korean navy ship sank after colliding with a larger fishing boat in waters near the southern resort island of Jeju. One died and two are still missing.

I wonder why the south has not yet blamed these accidents on the DPRK. Surly, the spin doctors are conjuring up stories of how the DPRK was involved.
I post Here
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 18 Nov 2010, 00:22
What a ridiculous army. They keep dying all the time. I wouldn't expect a navy ship to sink after colliding with a fragging fishing boat.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 2510
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2004, 20:50
Party Bureaucrat
Post 19 Nov 2010, 17:27
Quote:
What a ridiculous army. They keep dying all the time. I wouldn't expect a navy ship to sink after colliding with a fragging fishing boat.

Exactly my thoughts.

--

On a serious note:

Even though the ROK is an ideological enemy of the DPRK the former has only limited interests in blaming the majority of disasters on their brothers in the north. The ROK needs to maintain a minimum of diplomatic channels intact so that it may exercise its role as balancer within the framework of the Six-Party Talks. Even though the talks are suspended at the moment, the ROK can't put too much pressure on North Korea without risking that the latter rejects the very concept of multilateral talks. That would be a catastrophe for the denuclearization process of the Korean Peninsula.

I guess, no one in the South is willing to put the agreements of the fourth and the fifth round of the multilateral talks at risk by publicly stating the north was involved again in the death of South Korean soldiers. It seems that the Cheonan incident did damage enough concerning mutual trust.

Ya Basta!
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.