Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Media speculating about succession

Soviet cogitations: 4764
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2007, 06:59
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Sep 2010, 03:08
Western media have been focusing on Kim Jong Un as the next leader of the DPRK.

According to UPI, though, he wouldn't actually hold much power, and would instead serve as a ceremonial figure:

UPI wrote:
If Kim Jong Un succeeds his father as ruler of North Korea, he will probably be a "rubber-stamping dictator," an expert says.

The younger Kim, believed to be in his late 20s, would also be the first third-generation leader in a Communist country. Andrei Lankov, who teaches at Kookmin University in Seoul, said his youth and lack of experience are likely to get him support.

I think he is chosen exactly because he is young," Lankov said. "In case of his father's sudden death, Kim Jong Un, inexperienced, without power base, embarrassingly young, will have no choice but to obediently follow the instructions of the old guard. He will be a dictator, but merely a rubber-stamping dictator. This is what the people in the position of power want."

Kim Jong Il, who succeeded his father, Kim Il Sung, the founder of the North Korean state, has called a Workers Party national congress soon. Little has been released about the agenda, but there has been speculation Kim Jong Un will be presented as his father's heir.

"This party meeting will be a coming-out party for Kim Jong Un," said Peter Beck of Keio University in Japan.

The always more cool-headed Christian Science Monitor says that it could be a lot of empty talk, though it is likely that a succession will begin to be tackled.

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 4032
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Oct 2006, 23:10
Politburo
Post 05 Sep 2010, 03:22
Is Kim Jong Il dieing?
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Sep 2010, 03:26
It's impossible to know for certain because his health is apparently a state secret. This leads to a lot of speculation, and to the media claiming that he's dying a number of times now.

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 1537
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jan 2010, 05:46
Party Member
Post 05 Sep 2010, 03:45
I hope he dosent die soon he should have another 10 or 20 years

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxemburg
Long Live The Bolivarian Revolution!
RIP Muamar Qadafi
RIP Hugo Chavez
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 05 Sep 2010, 04:25
Quote:
Western media have been focusing on Kim Jong Un as the next leader of the DPRK.

Need I remind people that there is absolutely no evidence that Kim Jong Un will succeed Kim Jong Il as leader of North Korea. Seriously, I haven't seen a single shred of it.
Party Member
Post 05 Sep 2010, 04:44
Maybe Kim Sul-Song will be Kim Jong Il's successor she's his favorite and she's active in the party and government

RIP Muamar Qadafi
RIP Hugo Chavez
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 05 Sep 2010, 04:57
Quote:
Maybe Kim Sul-Song will be Kim Jong Il's successor she's his favourite and she's active in the party and government

No, there really isn't any evidence that she will be the successor either. Normally, I do not dwell on what will happen on the dark day that General Kim Jong Il does, but I believe that that it will the First Vice-Chairman of the National Defence Commission, Jo Myong-Rok or the head of the Politburo, Kim Yong-nam.
Party Member
Post 05 Sep 2010, 05:25
Hopefully the Dear Leader will not leave us soon but when he dose I'm sure the Korean people will pick a good leader

RIP Muamar Qadafi
RIP Hugo Chavez
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Sep 2010, 05:40
Misuzu wrote:
Need I remind people that there is absolutely no evidence that Kim Jong Un will succeed Kim Jong Il as leader of North Korea. Seriously, I haven't seen a single shred of it.

This is all based on their alleged joint trip to China. But this isn't confirmed, and if it was, it's still pretty tenuous.

Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 2408
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Ideology: Other
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Sep 2010, 13:09
In any country, the leader is a "rubber stamp" leader. Their control is based on those willing to back and support them. If the leader should rule in a way that is not favourable to the power bases, they will remove him. Look at Sukarno in Indonesia. The man was very powerful and had a base of support in the Armed Forces, but as soon as they felt threatened by either him or the political situation around him, the Army stepped in and he lost all of his control.
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 05 Sep 2010, 16:12
Fitzy wrote:
Is Kim Jong Il dieing?

I watched CCTV news report briefly on his visit to the PRC recently, and he wasn't looking too great. He might not be dying, but old age is definitely catching up with him, so it would perhaps be best that a successor is appointed soon.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.