Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

BRD Television in the DDR

Soviet cogitations: 298
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Jan 2010, 05:28
Komsomol
Post 05 Feb 2010, 06:47
I 've been reading, here and elsewhere, that the television transmissions(and I suppose radio transmissions as well) of West Germany were available in the East. Did these have a large impact on the population of the DDR? Did the DDR government try to block these transmissions? Or did they try to counterbalance them with their own propaganda?
"I am not the champion of lost causes, but the champion of causes not yet won."-Norman Thomas
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 05 Feb 2010, 09:15
I think they tried to block them and counterbalance with their own propaganda. Mabool knows more about this than me.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 05 Feb 2010, 13:11
Western television was available in most of the GDR, except a few eastern areas that were too far away from the West.

Quote:
Did these have a large impact on the population of the DDR?

Yes.

Quote:
Did the DDR government try to block these transmissions?

No. Rarely, you'd get into trouble for watching Western TV, but it was never blocked or even officially banned.

Quote:
Or did they try to counterbalance them with their own propaganda?

They tried to.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 4510
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 05 Feb 2010, 22:31
That's probably the main reason the GDR made commercials for television, right? In the USSR only the local Baltic republics' television stations had commercials until the late 1980s, because large numbers of people in the Baltic states could intercept Finnish television.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 06 Feb 2010, 02:46
That might be the reason, yeah. I've never thought about it though.
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Soviet cogitations: 31
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Mar 2010, 23:25
Pioneer
Post 30 Mar 2010, 21:59
I don't see why de USSR didn't blocked them. The technology to do that isn't that particular complex, and it would cost less than making all those counter-commercials.
Learn, Learn, Learn - Vladimir Lenin
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 30 Mar 2010, 23:08
Counter-commercials?
The main point of a commercial is inciting people to buy certain products.
SU didn't need that.
And,what effect would these commercials have on Finnish? If they wanted to buy certain products(caviar,champagne) they surely wouldn't need adverts...It would be a waste of tv-time.
Soviet cogitations: 31
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Mar 2010, 23:25
Pioneer
Post 31 Mar 2010, 00:12
indeed, but if I read this thread here, it says they made commercials in the GRD, ... so on the borders of the soviet-empire. If they made commercials, why not everywhere in the soviet-empire. My thought was you could see those commercials as "counter-commercials", unless I misread something.
Learn, Learn, Learn - Vladimir Lenin
Soviet cogitations: 1384
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2009, 03:41
Party Member
Post 19 Jun 2010, 23:56
they should have banned commercials and allowed the rest. the commercials from western germany probably made the product look like incredible inventions out of reach for the ddr. i don't understand what mabool said, he did say you could get in trouble for watching western television.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.