Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Why did Czechoslovakia divorced ?

Soviet cogitations: 272
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Feb 2010, 13:54
Komsomol
Post 08 Apr 2010, 20:12
ya in Spain the Spanish fought against the Islamic Moroccans for a while. after some time the Spanish beat the Moroccans back to morocco and out of Spain so ya all peace full eh ?
Soviet cogitations: 31
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 23 Mar 2010, 23:25
Pioneer
Post 09 Apr 2010, 22:58
What I mean was that the people itself didn't had a problem with those two groups. They lived together as far as I know. After some political power was used (The kings of spain and the church) the situation turned intro a conflict. What my point is, is that most of these divorces aren't the real will of the people but by some politicians that want to earn something with these divorces (most of the times they are lawyers
).
Learn, Learn, Learn - Vladimir Lenin
Soviet cogitations: 341
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Mar 2003, 02:29
Komsomol
Post 12 Apr 2010, 17:54
Quote:
OH REARYYYY?

To say that nationalism didn't play a role in the separation of the SSR's is stupid. Nationalism obviously exists, and it obviously causes separation

Yes, the quote I posted was a misconception that it was a mutual agreement between two peoples. When in fact, polls showed that the majority of both nations opposed a split. It was the political elites using the collapse of the Soviet Union for political gains, and an effort to manipulate the masses for their own gain.

This is what happened in Yugoslavia (although Yugoslavia is a different story with different variables of course)

Thus is the way nationalism works: it tends to not be a truly popular movement, some elements of the ruling class tend to use it for their own gains.
Soviet cogitations: 59
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Oct 2008, 06:42
Pioneer
Post 16 Apr 2010, 05:13
Quote:
When in fact, polls showed that the majority of both nations opposed a split

From what I read, since of creation of Czechoslovakia there were some latent frustrations on the Slovak part , as Czechs were on dominant side since the beginning ( even the creation of Czechoslovakia was done by 2 Czechs, Massaryk and Benes, mostly on their terms.)

That being said, I dont know much tho about their mood in the early 90`s before the split. A serious source would be needed , I tend not to trust arbitrary polls.
Quote:
Thus is the way nationalism works: it tends to not be a truly popular movement, some elements of the ruling class tend to use it for their own gains

Mostly true , but is not a black and white situation, as nationalism had many forms during history. Today's nationalism , based on racism and xenophobia, its not the same with 19th century nationalism who appeared within the multi-ethnic empires( Austria-Hungary, Ottomans , etc) for example.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.