Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Question on Romania

Soviet cogitations: 562
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 03 Jul 2004, 16:52
Komsomol
Post 23 Sep 2006, 19:31
How was Romania under Ceauşescu, ruled by the people?
Soviet cogitations: 18
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Sep 2006, 12:09
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 23 Sep 2006, 20:05
Romania was like all other eastern Europe states, the only difference was in Ceauşescu who was a "hardliner"... Romania was very naughty satelite state and the country had independent policy from USSR...
The people of Romania lived very good in the communist times. There was a period of relative economic well-being and openness followed in the late 1960s and the beginning of the 1970s, still regarded by some as a "golden era".
Komsomol
Post 23 Sep 2006, 21:12
Okay... I don't think that answered the question though, namely:

How was Romania under Ceauşescu, ruled by the people?
Soviet cogitations: 214
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2005, 14:24
Pioneer
Post 26 Nov 2006, 13:33
It wasn't.

That's the short answer.
Speak not of revolution until you are willing to eat rats to survive- The Last Poets
Soviet cogitations: 721
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2006, 18:34
Unperson
Post 26 Nov 2006, 15:40
Yes it was, there is a short answer.
Soviet cogitations: 989
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 05 Jul 2004, 01:47
Komsomol
Post 26 Nov 2006, 19:50
Here's the slightly longer answer...

It wasn't ruled by 'the people' in any sense. It was ruled by the tyrant Ceausescu, his family and his cronies.
Unperson
Post 19 Dec 2006, 16:32
Romania under the communist party was ruled by the people.
Komsomol
Post 19 Dec 2006, 16:55
Quote:
Romania under the communist party

Partidul Comunist Român, yes.

Quote:
was ruled by the people.

Then please explain how Romania under the PCR was ruled by the people.
Pioneer
Post 19 Dec 2006, 21:59
Quote:
Romania under the communist party was ruled by the people.

Don't be ridiculous. Would the people really want to be forced to have 4 kids if they got married? To attempt to exterminate all cats and dogs? Would they support the destruction of the rural way of life for Ceausescu's dreamy policy of systemisation? To be spied upon by the most extensive spy network in the communist world? To resort to using coded messages to communicate? To have to register ALL typewriters and ALL conversations with foreigners? To raze the centre of Bucharest to build the second largest building in the world, where they could not even go? To install all the Ceasescu's in the communist party in leading roles?

The only form of representation they had was when they voted against taking foreign loans out. Even then, the country had been completely starved of food and energy, with Ceausescu throttling imports and maximising exports.

I saw the video of the Ceausescu's last speech and it's hilarious. He has no idea why the people are booing him, and his pathetic attempts to quell the crowd showed the Romanian people his frality, and that he could finally be overthrown, as this was broadcasted live throughout the nation.

I saw the video of the kangaroo court trial and execution, and all I can say is good fragging riddance. This man was not a communist. This was a completely demented man, who fell in love with his own cult of personality. He had no concept of the real world, and nor did his wife, whose doctoral scientific papers were fabricated in order for her to have some type of respecibility Even as he was being tried, he claimed narcissistically that the workers would come and support him. I'm glad they didn't.
Speak not of revolution until you are willing to eat rats to survive- The Last Poets
Unperson
Post 19 Dec 2006, 22:32
I Dont knowto much about him i was referring more to the

1960s
Soviet cogitations: 43
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Dec 2006, 20:23
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2006, 02:05
somehow, building the Versailles-esque extravagant, opulent, second largest building in the world, doesn't really seem too Communist.

Soviet cogitations: 1103
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jul 2006, 10:21
Party Member
Post 19 Mar 2007, 09:07
I dunno much about Ceauşescu but I do know that his 1966 decree would've made him a hero & a demigod in rural India

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. Would the people really want to be forced to have 4 kids if they got married?

Didn't he just give more perks to couples w/ more kids??? Like women w/ 10 kids were given a free car or something like that
I don't think you'd be sent to a concentration camp and be gassed to death for having less than 4 kids, you just won't get as much perks as someone who would have a larger family. Correct me if I'm wrong, Romania is a society I know little about.

I don't know how much well idea sold with the Romanian people, though, but his idea on large families would've surely won him mass appeal in the rural parts of my country, where the average couple has 10-12 kids.
Pioneer
Post 24 Mar 2007, 18:30
Women were forced to gynecological tests at work to make sure they didn't have abortions or were using contraception. Women also had to pay portions of their salaries if they did not have children.

http://www.ceausescu.org/ceausescu_text ... nthood.htm
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 26 Mar 2007, 03:37
Quote:
http://www.ceausescu.org/ceausescu_texts/overplanned_parenthood.htm

That's propaganda.

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Soviet cogitations: 3448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jun 2006, 15:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Party Bureaucrat
Post 26 Mar 2007, 14:44
Quote:
Women also had to pay portions of their salaries if they did not have children.

Money which would come from single people and couples without children amd was used to provide benefits to big families who need to feed lots of children?

If your going to critise the man at least critice his mistakes.
Pioneer
Post 26 Mar 2007, 19:48
Quote:
That's propaganda.

Yeah, but propoganda or not, Ceausescu was still a prick. I've come to this conclusion from various sources which say pretty much the same thing as that website.

Quote:
Money which would come from single people and couples without children amd was used to provide benefits to big families who need to feed lots of children?

? So if the same happened in a capitalist country you wouldn't attack it?

Plus if you have a source that this act of charity that you mention above, I'd like to see it. Because I have never read about much charity from that guy.

Quote:
If your going to critise the man at least critice his mistakes

I do at the drop of a hat.[/code]
Soviet cogitations: 3448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jun 2006, 15:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Party Bureaucrat
Post 26 Mar 2007, 20:48
Quote:
? So if the same happened in a capitalist country you wouldn't attack it?

Redistribution of wealth based on need? Ofcourse.
Soviet cogitations: 829
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Nov 2006, 20:19
Komsomol
Post 26 Mar 2007, 20:49
Romania was underpopulated, the birth policies were reasonable. Are you going to argue against them or just cut n' paste and hope that we are all sufficiently 'shocked'?
Quote:
Women were forced to gynecological tests at work to make sure they didn't have abortions or were using contraception. Women also had to pay portions of their salaries if they did not have children.

You fail to mention the rewards they received for having large families.
Quote:
somehow, building the Versailles-esque extravagant, opulent, second largest building in the world, doesn't really seem too Communist.

The Proletariat inherits the high culture that has previously been passed from the Aristocrats to the Bourgeoise. It must be maintained and accessible. It was not a palace of a King or a palace of a banker, it was THE PALACE OF THE PEOPLE. Envisioning something like "proletarian architecture" pegs you as a working clas fetishist who glorifies poverty, probably because you have never experienced it. All architecture is proletarian, the upper-classes have heretofore looked down on the maths and sciences (not to mention man-power) necessary to accomplish such great works. The working class doesn't want to stop producing opulent buildings, it wants to stop doing it solely for the capitalists' use/benefit.
Last edited by Red Robespierre on 26 Mar 2007, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.
Solidarity with the Janjaweed, Musa Hilal and Omar al-Bashir.

[There is] a new channel by which treachery and espionage penetrate into the Communist Party. It is Zionism. - Klement Gottwald
Soviet cogitations: 1103
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jul 2006, 10:21
Party Member
Post 26 Mar 2007, 21:10
Quote:
Yeah, but propoganda or not, Ceausescu was still a prick. I've come to this conclusion from various sources which say pretty much the same thing as that website.

Nah, the guy just implemented the wrong policies for the wrong place. If Ceausescu ruled over say, India- he'd be a DEMI GOD amongst the village folk w/ his 1966 decree. And in my community, the guy would be a legend in the making.

Our people (outside the cities) tend to boo leaders who beat the "small family" and "family planning" bandwagon. But the Romanians were obviously more cosmopolitan and would tend to value modernist values...which went contrary to Ceausenscu.

Rather than the guy being a "prick" I think it was just a case of cultural incompatibility- between the leader's vision and the popular culture in 20th century Romania.
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 29 Mar 2007, 17:35
Quote:

You hate what he did only because you are a capitalist.
He could have done errors in other domains, but there is nothing wrong with this policy.

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.