Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Martial Law - December 13th 1981 to 22 July 1983

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 782
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Nov 2004, 17:44
Unperson
Post 29 Dec 2004, 00:12
On December 13th 1981, the communist government with the help of WRON-a (Wojskowa Rada Ocelenia Narodu ~ Military Comittee of National Salvation), declared a state of National Emergency. The Martial Law that would continue on for months afterwards was a last act of the communist government to try to destroy the change that had occured and the movement that became Solidarnosc. It was also a precaution saw by many to make sure that the Soviet Army would not march into Poland.

Quote:
Most Pole's woke up to the television news of the head leader General Jaruzelski, reading the declaration.

Quote:
Road checkpoints manned by soldiers were pocketed all over the country, but most of them remained in Warsaw. These were quickly set up on the eve of December 13th. Most citizens of Warsaw woke up to the sound of Jaruzelski's voice and the sound of tanks and BMP's. Soon enough, the government forces began random stops and checks. And a national curfew was set up.

Quote:
Although soldiers, had also been called in to keep the peace, they were sympathized by the people. As the units were made of conscripts that felt no sympathy for the communist cause.

Quote:
The Paramilitary Wing of the Militia (Police) ZOMO (Zmilitarizowany Odzial Milicji Obywatelskiej) were known for their ardane brutality. Made up of mostly aggressive highschool drop-outs, the profession was known as the most shameful known at the time.

Quote:
Kopalnia 'Wujek' where the paramilitary arm of the militia shot miners who were striking for better wages and more food

Quote:
Protesters being dragged away to the Buda Milicijna ("dog house") by the Militia/ZOMO

Quote:
Police brutality, Police tactics during Stan Wojenny (Martial Law) was never questioned

Quote:
Protests, university and workers protested against the indecency of the government, and the standard of living.

Quote:
The ZOMO was known for their aggressive tactics in order to break up protests. From the hitting of clubs against their shields, to charging against unarmed protesters with clubs.

Quote:
Tank soldiers in Gdansk, most people tried to persaude the soldiers to desert their posts.

Quote:
The tank's were sent in to scare the public, and make them step down from any anti-social activites

Quote:
Most people were afraid of the possibility of Soviet intervention, but at the same time remained good spirited even with the hassle of random stops, checkpoints and curfews just before the christmas holidays

Quote:
Never the less, tank units were used to crush opposition during protests. Maiming and killing many. Although these tanks were mostly the property of crack units belonging to the Paramiltiary arm of the Militia.

Quote:
Stocznia Gdanska, the Lenin Stockyards. Where the solidarity movement began and sprang from the events of 1970. Where police shot and killed many protestors.

Quote:
Police dispersing protestors

Quote:
they used teargas granades and granades of unwashable paint. These unwashable paint granades would help the police to track down any "escapees" from protests

Quote:
Tv commentators, of the state media had to support the military takeover or faced resignation. Many chose to wear military uniforms to show their "solidarity" with the communist power

Quote:
A bullet hole, found at the "Wujek" mine, where the ZOMO opened fire on miners

Quote:
Conscripts had their basic cut short from 6 months to 3, in order to gain more man power in "national salvation". Many conscripts did not end up on duty at road blocks, as they were not needed.

Quote:
Police doghouses, fitted with water-gun turrets, they were used to crash protests. The ZOMO also used them, as a killing machine. As they were used to drive over lone protesters.

Quote:
Water gun in action.

Quote:
Soldier's all wanted to get off duty, so they could sleep in their barrack's.

Quote:
A BMP stationed on a road in Warsaw

Quote:
Soldiers warming themselves, during their duty

Quote:
A zomo outfit, marching around, near the Royal Palace; which had only been rebuilt a year or two before the Martial law began.

Quote:
Gaurding key areas, that were "prone to protests"

Quote:
A ciggareate break

Quote:
In action

Quote:
An army checkpoint

Quote:
ZOMO and Militia driving to the scene of action

Quote:
Militia dispersing crowds

Quote:
As the police shot tear gas, most of the protesters threw them back, although pointlessly, as most police units were armed with gasmasks

Quote:
Infront of the solidarnosc headquarters

Quote:
Police, getting ready

Quote:
ZOMO in full out gear, preparing to disperse protesters

Quote:
A Police doghouse

Quote:
Walking towards a crowd

Quote:
The casualties of communism

CREDITS : Thanks to lovely Pole who provided me thease "intresting" pictures about "peacefull" communism.
Soviet cogitations: 1893
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 May 2003, 23:58
Ancient Communist
Post 29 Dec 2004, 00:55
Interesting. Comrade, have you ever seen pictures of the Chicago Riots durring the US election of 1968? I suspect, other than the details of the uniforms, that you will find an interesting resemblance to what you have posted....
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 782
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Nov 2004, 17:44
Unperson
Post 29 Dec 2004, 01:26
sergei wrote:
Interesting. Comrade, have you ever seen pictures of the Chicago Riots durring the US election of 1968? I suspect, other than the details of the uniforms, that you will find an interesting resemblance to what you have posted....

But did the cops shoot people who asked better wages?

Or declare martial law?
Soviet cogitations: 9306
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Mar 2004, 15:19
Ideology: Other Leftist
Old Bolshevik
Post 29 Dec 2004, 01:55
You really should research what Sergei said if you want to hear about Martial law.

And as for the cops shooting people who want better wages, research the protests that have happened in front of the Ford factory during the great depression. Or hell, all the black people who've been unjustly shot.

Fitzy wrote:
Yes, because I am poisoning them. They are my children.
Soviet cogitations: 28
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Sep 2004, 19:44
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 01:58
Great depression occured in the 1930's, while Martial law occured in the 1980's. I'm sorry but 50 years is alot, and obviously the world has changed of what is morally just and unjust. Labour has also been looked at differently since the 1930's. The labour union's were a legal entity by the 1980's in the Western World and were seen as official organizations. Unlike earlier.
Old Bolshevik
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:00
And yet you fail to realize that labor unions were what brought the communists to power in 1917.

If you believe that the west has had a change of moral values since 1930, then you're an idiot. Unions would be banned by the government, if they weren't powerful enough to prevent that.

Fitzy wrote:
Soviet cogitations: 844
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Jun 2004, 21:01
Komsomol
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:10
I have no reason to even remotely defend the Soviet Union for these actions as I feel it is a by-product of its 1956-1991 revisionist/State Capitalist period. It’s just more proof of how the USSR degraded over the years as it became more Capitalist, Andrei Mazenov wrote a good essay on that.
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:18
wheelchairman wrote:
And yet you fail to realize that labor unions were what brought the communists to power in 1917.

If you believe that the west has had a change of moral values since 1930, then you're an idiot. Unions would be banned by the government, if they weren't powerful enough to prevent that.

The lack of labour unions brought on the revolution, in fact Russia had little industry as it was at the beginning of 1917, therefore most of the workers that had been striking in the big cities of Moscow and Petrograd were usually textile workers, and those who worked in smaller "factories". I'm sorry, did you even grow up under the communist system? Or anywhere near the eastern bloc?
Old Bolshevik
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:20
b.scheller wrote:

I'm sorry, did you grow up under the communist system? Anywhere near the eastern bloc?

And how would that have any relevance to what I said?

Fitzy wrote:
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:25
wheelchairman wrote:
b.scheller wrote:

I'm sorry, did you grow up under the communist system? Anywhere near the eastern bloc?

And how would that have any relevance to what I said?

Simply because, you do not understand the factors that are involved in this. Your telling me that the labour union brought on "change" in Russia, it stopped "evil capitalism" from destroying the Labour Union movement in the USA, but how come if this system was so fair? No country under the Eastern Bloc had a fair Union, led by non-party workers, who really did fight for the rights, freedoms and benefits of their workers?
Soviet cogitations: 2507
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2004, 21:17
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Party Bureaucrat
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:29
What's a Coca Cola sign doing in a Communist country?
Old Bolshevik
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:32
b.scheller wrote:

Simply because, you do not understand the factors that are involved in this. Your telling me that the labour union brought on "change" in Russia, it stopped "evil capitalism" from destroying the Labour Union movement in the USA, but how come if this system was so fair? No country under the Eastern Bloc had a fair Union, led by non-party workers, who really did fight for the rights, freedoms and benefits of their workers?

Hmm not exactly sure what you are trying to say.
However, I did not mention a single thing about the unions after 1917. I have some questions on the policies handled in regards to the unions afterwards, especially after 1951.
And I didn't say the Soviet Union had any affect on the Union struggle inside America.

Fitzy wrote:
Party Bureaucrat
Post 29 Dec 2004, 02:37

See?
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 04:04
cocacola was present all over the eastern-bloc and wasnt only found in the west...
Soviet cogitations: 122
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Dec 2004, 09:29
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 06:58
Kormy wrote:
But did the cops shoot people who asked better wages?

Or declare martial law?

Do the cops in capitalist countries shoot people who ask for better wages? Yes. They also let scabs use their cars to run over strikers and ally with private "security" gangs to break up picket lines. I've been on enough picket lines in my life to see that.

As for martial law, who needs a formal decree when the capitalists can use the same tactics under "peacetime" law?

Miles
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 07:01
wheelchairman wrote:
Unions would be banned by the government, if they weren't powerful enough to prevent that.

They would either ban them, or they would "integrate" them into the capitalist order. They have effectively done the latter in the United States.

Miles
Pioneer
Post 29 Dec 2004, 07:04
Valdart wrote:
I have no reason to even remotely defend the Soviet Union for these actions as I feel it is a by-product of its 1956-1991 revisionist/State Capitalist period. It’s just more proof of how the USSR degraded over the years as it became more Capitalist, Andrei Mazenov wrote a good essay on that.

While I disagree with the RCP/RIM analysis of the degeneration of the USSR, I also feel no need to defend the actions of the Polish or Soviet states in the suppression of Solidarnosc.

Miles
Soviet cogitations: 1019
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2004, 21:30
Party Member
Post 29 Dec 2004, 17:22
wheelchairman wrote:
Unions would be banned by the government, if they weren't powerful enough to prevent that.

If you haven't notice, many of the governments in western europe are made of unions. Do you really think that social democratic government would ban itself?
Old Bolshevik
Post 29 Dec 2004, 17:29
You should really learn more about the union sitaution. Are you a student? I can give you a connection to the Finnish Student Union that is affiliated with the one I am in.

In Europe, some Unions have Social Democratic leadership, however, this is only the leadership, you'll find that many members aren't really supportive of the social democrats, it's been noticeable especially in the 90's when many unions broke from the Social Democrat parties. (like SID in Denmark for example, one of the largest unions)

And actually, in Denmark's history, the communist party had quite an influential history.

Fitzy wrote:
Party Bureaucrat
Post 29 Dec 2004, 22:02
COCA COLA WAS A CAPITALIST INDUSTRY!!!
What's it doing in a Communist country??
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.