Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Growth rates under Stalin

Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 15 Mar 2012, 03:02
One of the things I've always liked to tell people is that under Stalin, the Soviet economy grew at a pace that was then, and is still unparalleled. Now I've noticed I can't even remember how fast it grew and where I got that info from. Does anybody have some reliable data? (Looking at you, s78)
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
JAM
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 172
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Mar 2012, 02:37
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 16 Mar 2012, 02:38
At its peak the growth rates were at 14% during the 30's. And yes, no economy in world history ever matched that economic growth pace. China could have paralleled since the first five year plan similar to the soviet one was equally successful but then Mao started to invent and blew almost the entire chinese economy.
"If I could control Hollywood, I could control the world." -Joseph Stalin
Soviet cogitations: 124
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2012, 00:06
Unperson
Post 23 Mar 2012, 10:58
Mao concentrated both on industrial and agricultural growth. Stalin concentrated only on industrial. Not to exaggerate, average growth of the Soviet economy then was 5-7 percent while Western capitalist countries grew at 2-3 percent. Given the fact that the 5 Year plans were designed to overtake the West in all sectors of the economy including military weaponry, I find the published statistics very very credible. The only criticism I have is that it was really really fast paced. Well, nothing is not so fast paced as city life in Japan and Singapore and USA.
JAM
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 172
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Mar 2012, 02:37
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 23 Mar 2012, 15:37
AlmaAta wrote:
Not to exaggerate, average growth of the Soviet economy then was 5-7 percent while Western capitalist countries grew at 2-3 percent. Given the fact that the 5 Year plans were designed to overtake the West in all sectors of the economy including military weaponry, I find the published statistics very very credible. The only criticism I have is that it was really really fast paced. Well, nothing is not so fast paced as city life in Japan and Singapore and USA.

If someone can explain me how USSR went from the bottom of the world's industrialization ranking to the top in just 10 years with an economic growth of 5-7 percent maybe i'll believe then in those figures. Until then i will continue to believe in 13-14%. Those numbers were created by western officials just to minimize the extraordinary accomplish of the USSR in the 30's.

AlmaAta wrote:
Mao concentrated both on industrial and agricultural growth. Stalin concentrated only on industrial.

That's why i said Mao invented, if he had only concentrated on industrial growth (which was the essential) he would have obtained the same development of the USSR in the 30's.
"If I could control Hollywood, I could control the world." -Joseph Stalin
Soviet cogitations: 19
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Aug 2012, 03:30
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 26 Aug 2012, 02:59
JAM wrote:
At its peak the growth rates were at 14% during the 30's. And yes, no economy in world history ever matched that economic growth pace. China could have paralleled since the first five year plan similar to the soviet one was equally successful but then Mao started to invent and blew almost the entire chinese economy.

That's a very conservative estimate. The growth rates during the Stalin era were actually on the order of 20+ percent.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 26 Aug 2012, 04:03
Still no sources. :/
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 26 Aug 2012, 17:54
There are statistics on the Soviet Union available on Marxists.org:
http://www.marxists.org/history/ussr/go ... /index.htm

This is from the Soviet statistical yearbook Народное хозяйство СССР за 70 лет ("People's economy of the USSR in 70 years"), published in 1987,page 52
It can be downloaded from the Internet.

My translation is not very good, group "A" ( according to an old Marx's scheme) refers to heavy industry and such while group "B" ( consumer goods production in the image ) refers to light industry.

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.