Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

1977 Supreme Soviet plenary session.

Soviet cogitations: 24
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Sep 2008, 13:58
Pioneer
Post 30 Sep 2008, 20:20
Can anyone give me an answer to this question?
I go into "You Tube", type in "Vremja", and look at the video entitled "Vremja part 1".
I believe this shows a plenary session, of the Supreme Soviet, held in 1977. The video opens with members and candidate members of the Politburo, and also members of the Secretariat, walking onto the stage (raised platform) whilst being applauded by the ordinary members, of the Supreme Soviet, at the front of the hall. The session is opened by Mikhail Suslov.
Who are the individuals already sitting on the platform before the top leaders walk on? There could be around 150 of them in the seats behind those reserved for the top men.
Soviet cogitations: 3448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jun 2006, 15:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Party Bureaucrat
Post 30 Sep 2008, 20:35
I honestly don't know but I would speculate its the cental committee, which was much larger than the politburo and the secretariat.
The moment one accepts the notion of 'totalitarianism', one is firmly locked within the liberal-democratic horizon. - Slavoj Žižek
Soviet cogitations: 24
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Sep 2008, 13:58
Pioneer
Post 30 Sep 2008, 22:04
I would think that, at this time, the Central Committee of the CPSU consisted of around 300 members and a lesser, but considerable, number of candidate (non-voting) members so the full membership of the Central Committee were certainly not on the platform. I suppose the group,on the stage,could have been a smaller group drawn from the Central Committee.
The Presidium of the Supreme Soviet,on the other hand,was a much smaller body and consisted (I believe) of around 37 individuals. I realise this is not an important question but the answer is of interest to me. I have tried a number of sources and failed to get an answer!
Anyway thank you for the reply.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.