Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

If the Palace of Congress(Soviets) was finished...

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9187
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 12 Mar 2007, 20:22
Here's what it would look like:

Sorry for the stretching, but I want to give the full impression.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 638
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 May 2006, 07:44
Ideology: Left Communism
Resident Soviet
Post 12 Mar 2007, 20:34
Hell yeah. I'd love to see that _thing_. In fact, if I become a multibillionaire capitalist, and totally forsake my class allegiance, as a repentance gift I will build this Palace!
Soviet cogitations: 1716
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Nov 2006, 17:20
Party Member
Post 12 Mar 2007, 20:39
Lenin wouldn't have approved.

What's up with personality cults? Isn't it a bit childish?

Did you do the shopping Kirov? It's quite nice.

"The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit."
Resident Soviet
Post 12 Mar 2007, 21:22
Quote:
What's up with personality cults? Isn't it a bit childish?

Yes, it is and Lenin disapproved of it. But it also creates a lasting memory. Though I think Lenin's humble mausoleum is good enough already.
The old man would've cried if he saw Soviet soldiers throwing down Nazi unit banners before him.
Soviet cogitations: 829
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Nov 2006, 20:19
Komsomol
Post 12 Mar 2007, 21:49
You did that, Kirov? It is excellent work.

Quote:
Lenin wouldn't have approved.

Who cares? It's for the people, not Lenin.

After visiting Lenin's mausoleum, Mao said to his entourage that the superb preservation of the corpse was only for the sake of others; it was irrelevant to Lenin. Once Lenin died, he felt nothing, and it did not matter to him how his corpse was kept. - Mao, The Unknown Story
Solidarity with the Janjaweed, Musa Hilal and Omar al-Bashir.

[There is] a new channel by which treachery and espionage penetrate into the Communist Party. It is Zionism. - Klement Gottwald
Resident Soviet
Post 12 Mar 2007, 21:53
Quote:
Who cares? It's for the people, not Lenin.

Personality cults are a vicious form of religion, opiate of the masses, which undermines the ability for rational thought - a key characteristic of a Marxist - with blind appraisal. They are prevalent in the capitalist world. Therefore, purge.
Soviet cogitations: 1716
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Nov 2006, 17:20
Party Member
Post 12 Mar 2007, 22:05
Lenin made it clear before his death that he did not want any memorials in his name, and it was his to wish to be buried next to his mother.

"The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit."
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 12 Mar 2007, 22:08
Wow, that looks amazing.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 829
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Nov 2006, 20:19
Komsomol
Post 12 Mar 2007, 22:39
Umm. Lenin didn't seem to have a problem with Tishib and Taldom both taking on the name "Leninsk". Lenin also supported memorials like the statues of Sverdlov and re-naming universities and districts after him. Naming towns after revolutionaries was common throughout the early Soviet Union: Buynaksk, Kropotkin, Marks, even Pugachev!

I don't think that erecting statues or having catacombs constitutes a "personality cult".
Solidarity with the Janjaweed, Musa Hilal and Omar al-Bashir.

[There is] a new channel by which treachery and espionage penetrate into the Communist Party. It is Zionism. - Klement Gottwald
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 13 Mar 2007, 17:01
Very nice pictures Kirov! Did you make them?

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Soviet cogitations: 1785
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Jan 2005, 07:15
Unperson
Post 13 Mar 2007, 18:44
Wow, that looks really nice.
Shame it wasn't built.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9187
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 13 Mar 2007, 19:58
Quote:
Very nice pictures Kirov! Did you make them?

No, it's from a Russian blog-like site(the same way eBaum'sWorld is a blog-like site). Google ziza.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 68
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Dec 2006, 08:09
Pioneer
Post 29 Mar 2007, 11:41
It would've been one hell of a structure.

Though the material being used to build it went to something far more important (defending Moscow from the Germans.)
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 29 Mar 2007, 17:37
By the way, what it would be used for? To replace the Kremlin? That's redundant. This gigantic structure would not be necessarily useful.

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Soviet cogitations: 10737
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Philosophized
Post 29 Mar 2007, 17:56
That would have been awesome. I have to agree with FFF on the personality cult of Lenin.

Quote:
what it would be used for?

A congress.

Wiki also has an article on it.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
Soviet cogitations: 256
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Mar 2005, 04:51
Komsomol
Post 09 May 2007, 17:41
A truly amazing concept. I remember reading once that the thumb of the statue alone was to be 10 meters long, to give you and idea of the collosal size. Such a shame it wasn't completed...
Soviet cogitations: 14444
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Philosophized
Post 09 May 2007, 18:02
Personality cults are very anti-marxian and anti-leninst. Naming a town after someone is not a personality cult however. I mean I live in Payne county, but who the frag is this Payne guy? I don't know and, to tell you the truth, I don't give a frag.

Statues, masoleums, and mummies however are very much aspects of a personality cult. Lenin would be furious that he had been embalmed, stuck in masoleums, and then used to justify all sorts of things. He wanted to be buried. If our last will for how our body is to be treated means nothing then do we control our body at all?

Lenin would have much more preferred something like Trotsky's:

It honors the individual without being cultish.
Soviet cogitations: 35
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Dec 2007, 01:35
Pioneer
Post 10 Dec 2007, 18:07
Based on the map, it looks like that was supposed to be built on the location of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.

The Soviets destroyed the original cathedral, and built a giant outdoor heated swimming pool on the site. The only good thing my buddy in Moscow has ever said about the Soviets was that he enjoyed that pool during his childhood. The Russians then built a replica of the original cathedral in Y2K. I toured the replica not long ago. It's pretty amazing.

BTW, I know this is an old thread, but I just discovered it through a cross-link.
Just here for the beer.
Soviet cogitations: 2775
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Sep 2004, 23:23
Party Bureaucrat
Post 10 Dec 2007, 21:21
Cool. Although it's actually a bit too huge.
Whoppee for Comrade Sergei.
Soviet cogitations: 1702
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Oct 2004, 21:15
Party Member
Post 11 Dec 2007, 00:37
Yeah that cathedral is massive, but I would have rather visited the pool
. It's hard to find a nice pool in Russia nowadays. And an outdoor pool in Moscow? Come on, that's awesome!
"Shake your chains to earth, like dew / Which in sleep had fall'n on you: / YE ARE MANY-THEY ARE FEW." - Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'The Masque of Anarchy'
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.