Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

New Chinese Moon Mission

Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 01 Oct 2010, 19:18
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11453384

Quote:
China launches Moon mission
By Katia Moskvitch Science reporter, BBC News

A Chinese rocket carrying a probe destined for the Moon has blasted into space.

The rocket will shoot the craft into the trans-lunar orbit, after which the satellite is expected to reach the Moon in about five days.

Chang'e-2 will be used to test key technologies and collect data for future landings.

China says it will send a rover on its next mission, and it also has ambitions to put humans on the surface of the lunar body at some future date.

The Xinhua News Agency said Chang'e-2 would circle just 15km (nine miles) above the rocky terrain in order to take photographs of possible landing locations.

It is China's second lunar probe - the first was launched in 2007. The craft stayed in space for 16 months before being intentionally crashed on to the Moon's surface.

China launched its first manned flight into low-Earth orbit in 2003; and two more followed, with the most recent one in 2008.

So far, only three countries have managed to independently send humans into space: China, Russia and the US.

In 2008, a Chinese astronaut, fighter pilot Zhai Zhigang, performed a spacewalk - the first in his country's history.

He stayed outside the Shenzhou-7 capsule for 15 minutes; the exercise was seen as key to China's ambition to build an orbiting station in the near future.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 01 Oct 2010, 19:25
Cool.
I remember how i laughed myself of for 5 minutes,some 6-7 years ago,when i read "the Chinese are going to the Moon".
Seems like they're really going to do it.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 489
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Feb 2010, 15:15
Komsomol
Post 01 Oct 2010, 20:48
Great. Also, I find it funny how people mention that, with the end of the Space Shuttle, the only way remaining to get to the space is Russian Soyuz, continuously 'forgetting' that China can, and has, send people to the space. Maybe the USA should stop bitching and let the PRC take part in the ISS.
"You're a pretty cool guy" - Mabool
"the social democrats don't give a frag about changing this capitalist system [...] so they can lick my greasy peanut buttered balls like the dog they are." - Greenanarchism
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Politburo
Post 02 Oct 2010, 03:36
The Chinese' plan is to build their own space station. Two actually.

I always lol at the short sighted idiots who make fun of the Chinese space programme for using "1960's Russian technology". The fact is they are catching up with the US, and fast. Here we are reading about serious Chinese plans to put men (and hopefully women
) on the Moon again while the U.S. recently cancelled its planned return. And on top of this, the U.S. lost its ability to return to the moon when it scrapped the Saturn 5 fleet in favour of the space shuttle. They will need to start from scratch.

Unless the Americans wake up very soon, I'd be willing to bet it will be China who is first to put people on Mars.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 489
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Feb 2010, 15:15
Komsomol
Post 02 Oct 2010, 10:38
I doubt the Americans will wake up soon. The semi-privatization of the space program isn't even liked by the NASA, and seem to be focused more in, at least in the first years, helping those companies to just put people in the space, so it looks like China has already some advantage over the USA, at least they will after the Space Shuttle's retirement.

But I thought that the PRC wanted to take part in the ISS, not just create their own space station. I guess they lost their interest after the US negatives.
"You're a pretty cool guy" - Mabool
"the social democrats don't give a frag about changing this capitalist system [...] so they can lick my greasy peanut buttered balls like the dog they are." - Greenanarchism
Politburo
Post 02 Oct 2010, 16:07
Just to confirm what I said about a Chinese space station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_921-2

Quote:
Project 921-2 is the name given by the People's Republic of China in 1992 for plans to create a manned space station. China will launch a small 8.5 ton space laboratory called Tiangong 1 in 2011. Following Tiangong 1, a more advanced space laboratory complete with cargo ship called Tiangong 2 will be built. The project will culminate with Tiangong 3 which will consist of a 20-ton core module, 2 smaller research modules, and cargo transport craft [1]

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/china-first-space-station-construction-100817.html

I also read about plans for a larger space station after this one, but I can't remember where.
Soviet cogitations: 22
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Dec 2010, 16:14
Unperson
Post 10 Dec 2010, 12:13
Has anyone seen these analyses of the Chinese spacewalk. It looks like it was faked in a water tank.
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbBFwdmldA
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4Z_r38ZDE
http://en.epochtimes.com/n2/content/view/5809/
http://en.epochtimes.com/n2/content/view/8332/

We have to take anything about China in space with a grain of salt.
Politburo
Post 10 Dec 2010, 14:22
Correction. We have to take anything you say about space with a grain of salt. Honestly, why would China spend billions of U.S. dollars to fake a space walk? It makes no economic sense. It does make sense when viewed as a step towards putting people on the moon and mars.
Unperson
Post 10 Dec 2010, 15:43
Quote:
Correction. We have to take anything you say about space with a grain of salt. Honestly, why would China spend billions of U.S. dollars to fake a space walk? It makes no economic sense. It does make sense when viewed as a step towards putting people on the moon and mars.

There are plausible explanations that would explain it. The real evidence is the anomalies.

At the thirty second mark in this clip the astronaut moves the flag from right to left.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpPknmHGAM

The flag flutters the way it would in a medium such as water. Tell us what you think is causing the flag to flutter.
Politburo
Post 10 Dec 2010, 16:18
Quote:
Tell us what you think is causing the flag to flutter.

The guy moving it. It's pretty simple physics.

That looks like a Chinese astronaut fluttering a flag in space to me. I have actually seen video of Russian cosmonauts training in water and it looks very different to the footage seen here.
Unperson
Post 10 Dec 2010, 16:32
Quote:
The guy moving it. It's pretty simple physics.

If you look closely, there's not any visible movement of his hand that would cause the fluttering.
Last edited by Cosmored on 11 Dec 2010, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Soviet cogitations: 3303
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Jan 2007, 06:03
Party Bureaucrat
Post 11 Dec 2010, 05:49
It's pretty damn clear that he moves his hand. In the vacuum of space, there are very few things that will dampen the movement of the flag.

Please don't try to use your "common" sense when it comes to space. Much of physics in space is very intuitively non-obvious without some serious thought (Note: crank theories you come up with from random videos are not serious thoughts).
Erichs_Pastry_Chef wrote:
all I can concentrate on is looking at a peen0r.

Unperson
Post 11 Dec 2010, 13:58
I guess you people are just going to see what you want to see.

In this video the safety cable is obviously buoyant. It has a distinct tendency to to upward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=ES&hl=es&v=gMxQEHfU6hM

Watch it at these time marks.
0:50
2:10
3:00
3:10
6:08
6:44
6:53

It's going upward because it's slightly lighter than water.
Politburo
Post 11 Dec 2010, 15:15
Quote:
I guess you people are just going to see what you want to see.

Mate, It's the other way around. You need to provide some extraordinary evidence to back up your claims and you aren't. You can't blame us for not taking geocities and bits cherry picked from YouTube clips seriously.

Remember I said I saw video of Russian cosmonauts training in water? Do you know why they do this? Because it's the closest thing we have on earth to simulate the environment of space, aside from diving a plane towards the ground. Think about it. If a flag in water moves like that as you claim, then maybe it could look like a flag being moved in space is submerged in water.
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 12 Dec 2010, 01:18
If they do go to the moon, I seriously hope that they get rid of that bloody plaque with Nixon's name on it.
It's fair enough that Armstrong, Aldrin and co. have their names up there, but having Nixon's name is just an embarrassment for the whole of humanity.
I really hope that aliens don't see it - they might think that we were cool with Nixon being our representative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo11Plaque.jpg
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.