Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

USA cancels planned moon mission.

Soviet cogitations: 4764
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2007, 06:59
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Forum Commissar
Post 29 Apr 2011, 20:21
Rob-O wrote:
The moon? Did you not get the point of my post? The moon is done, it's over. It's a rock, we went on the rock and saw it. Now there's no reason for us to go back there with the technology that we have.

I wouldn't put it as callously as that, but you have a point. The reason why we should send someone there is if we intend to set up some sort of base, which isn't a bad idea overall.

Here's a thoughtful article on the possible end of the age of manned space exploration:

http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20110405/163364981.html

Also, I'm just going to drop these here, because they're great:

http://en.rian.ru/infographics/20110414/163516326.html

http://en.rian.ru/infographics/20110405/163378594.html

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 52
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Mar 2011, 18:09
Pioneer
Post 29 Apr 2011, 23:23
I see the Space Race perhaps getting a spark again. But, I do not think Russia will be one of the major players. I think that it will be China and the USA perhaps in a race toward Mars. Mars, now that is a goal.
Wonder Kim Powers Unite!
Soviet cogitations: 3799
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2006, 02:14
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 29 Apr 2011, 23:50
Yeah... the USA can't even get in orbit and they want to be in Mars before Russia...
Russia and China are the ones really investing in space now.

"Where Argentina goes, Latin America will go".
Leonid Brezhnev

Forum Rules
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 349
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Komsomol
Post 30 Apr 2011, 06:47
The problem with setting up a base on the moon or on mars is that the dust that exists on the planet is deadly. Let alone the prohibitive costs of transporting things on a space ship. I mean, each pound costs like $10,000 to send up, how much would it cost to send something like a whole space colony? It just seems crazy at this point in time. The moon has more potential because it's closer, but it would still cost a lot.
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 01 May 2011, 02:46
There's actually quite a lucrative reason to set up a base and possibly colonies on the moon: mining. I believe this is the ultimate goal all the worlds space agencies have for the moon which is why the Chinese feel it is so important to get men there. It's not just for propaganda value and national pride. From what I remember reading, Mars has similar prospects for mining, not just exploration value, and "we can do this".

http://news.discovery.com/space/this-moon-was-made-for-mining-helium-3.html

Quote:
The problem with setting up a base on the moon or on mars is that the dust that exists on the planet is deadly. Let alone the prohibitive costs of transporting things on a space ship. I mean, each pound costs like $10,000 to send up, how much would it cost to send something like a whole space colony? It just seems crazy at this point in time. The moon has more potential because it's closer, but it would still cost a lot.

1. Mining would offset this cost.

2. There is already quite a lot of discussion about making permanent lunar and Martian colonies self sufficient much like the Soviet space station Mir was except for food and occasional fresh supplies of oxygen and water. Colonies could grow their own food, produce and recycle oxygen and recycle water. Supplies from Earth would only need to be occasional and needn't come on a giant Battlestar Galactica space ship.

3. The holy grail of space exploration is to be able to build and launch space vehicles from orbit. This would reduce the cost and danger of space travel massively. The first 120km is the hardest.

I also believe it's important for humanity to become a space faring civilisation beyond just putting satellites and occasionally people in orbit. All it would take is a large meteor or comet to hit the Earth and civilisation would collapse. It's even possible our species could become extinct. If we spread however, our future is secured and we become one step closer to joining what could possibly be a wider community in the universe.
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 01 May 2011, 03:00
Excuse the double post. I can't edit for some reason.

As far as a new space race goes, as long as the US sees China as a backwards country, there will not be another space race between East and West which is fine by me
. I think it will take a big and never done before Chinese or perhaps Russian achievement to wake the West up and see China as a threat such as putting men on Mars or a colony on the moon. Nobody will be able to say "they're 40 years behind" anymore. By that stage, I suspect the US will have lost much of its influence and economic clout in the world and will no longer be able to compete on a meaningful level. I recently read an article about opening up space exploration in the West to largely private investment which shows how pitiful things have become. China, Russia and India are the ones to look at for space exploration now imo and probably in that order.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.