Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Is there anything Soviet made still in space?

Soviet cogitations: 291
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2011, 06:40
Komsomol
Post 06 Dec 2011, 05:08
Soviet cogitations: 3711
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jul 2006, 04:49
Ideology: Juche
Old Bolshevik
Post 06 Dec 2011, 08:50
Quote:
Are you talking about the ISS? If so, this is wrong. The ISS started as an American space station which began planning during the 80's.

Not really, it could actually be said to be derived from many space station ideas, namely the Space Station Freedom, Mir-2 and the Space Station Columbus.
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 06 Dec 2011, 11:00
Either way, The ISS as we see it now had it's genesis when the Soviet Union still existed.
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 06 Dec 2011, 17:40
Quote:

'Ricardo Husada'? Is this some kind of joke?

Oh, and as a point of interest, pretty much the entirety of contemporary Russian inventions in space, the military and the civilian sector are the last of the fruits being gained from the Soviet period. Russia can only depend on oil and gas exports because of pipeline infrastructure built by the Soviets. The only reason the country hasn't been invaded or ripped apart by civil war is because of nuclear parity achieved during the Soviet period. The contemporary problems the country is having with its space rocketry are a direct result of the destruction of the domestic electronics industry. They're trying to substitute the old Soviet tech with Western tech and it's not working, resulting in crash after crash.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 291
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2011, 06:40
Komsomol
Post 06 Dec 2011, 18:00
soviet78 wrote:
'Ricardo Husada'? Is this some kind of joke?

No joke. I'm not sure about the source, I'm just posting what I found on the net. Take it or leave it.

As I said, I don't entirely agree with my friend's viewpoint, and I think perhaps she was exaggerating a bit when she said it.
As I said, there's probably some truth to it, but I am by far no expert on the subject of Soviet tech.
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 06 Dec 2011, 22:43
Ya_Amerikanyets wrote:
As I said, I don't entirely agree with my friend's viewpoint, and I think perhaps she was exaggerating a bit when she said it. As I said, there's probably some truth to it, but I am by far no expert on the subject of Soviet tech.

There are plenty of Russian Monarchists out there pinning for the 'what ifs' of pre-revolutionary history, but in terms of civilizational development, the Soviet period advanced the country more than any other period in its history in every sphere.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 280
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Oct 2007, 23:49
Ideology: Social Democracy
Komsomol
Post 09 Jun 2012, 19:35
Ya_Amerikanyets wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the International Space Station has some Soviet made parts. Also, I'm not sure if the Buran was ever decommissioned...

Any working vehicle of the Buran type was destroyed by a Hangar Collapse. Most of the Energia systems have fallen into decay and disrepair and are unusable.
Soviet cogitations: 54
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 May 2014, 02:13
Pioneer
Post 19 May 2014, 03:26

The Soviets landed the first spacecraft on Mars called Mars-3. It made a successful soft landing on December 2nd 1971. Unfortunately contact was lost just 20 seconds after it landed because of a dust storm. It's still on Mars. The above is a Mars Reconaissance Orbiter photo of what might be the parachute used by Mars-3. While it wasn't a perfectly successful mission it was still the first to land softly on Mars and transmitt data from both the atmosphere and the surface. This happened 5 years before the American Viking-1 lander touched down in 1976. It did manage to take the first photo of the Martian surface!

From the positioning of the camera on the probe we shouldn't be seeing the horizon. This suggests it may have tipped over which would also explain why contact was lost.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.