Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

space race victor

Soviet cogitations: 9306
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Mar 2004, 15:19
Ideology: Other Leftist
Old Bolshevik
Post 06 Apr 2009, 22:40
I think you're taking the term 'space race' too literally. Do you also think that the arms race was meant literally as well?

It simply means there was a rush to develop technology to gain an advantage over the other in space. Similarly the arms race was a rush to produce weapons in order to gain an advantage over the other or as prevention. There is no gold, silver and bronze.

Fitzy wrote:
Yes, because I am poisoning them. They are my children.
Soviet cogitations: 17
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 05 Apr 2009, 09:07
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:13
I believe that the space race is far from over. First satellite, first man in orbit, first orbital base, lunar landing..... was just the first round. My guess is that in the future the race will be for Moon colonizatrion, Mars landing, Jupiters moon Europa... the posibilities are endless. I doubt that we'll see the outcome of the space race in our life time.
Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer wich we use to crush our enemies.
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:32
Yeah, it could be argued that the space race is continuing (as with the Cold War), just with more contestants. Russia still has a space program. Europe now has ambitions for manned space flight (through ESA), and the Chinese have joined the club recently too.
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:37
I don't know about the Cold War. When i think about the cold war the first thing that comes to mind is Soviet engeneering. If we we're talking about the Cold War winner, the Soviet Union is winner by KO as far as I can tell.
It's true that today the space race has other racers. But my opinion is that the most potential is with the chinesse and the EU.
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:46
NASA does seem to be going through a flop right now, but that could change when China gets more established.
Soviet cogitations: 14444
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:47
Why would you count out the US who is undeniably spending more on space than any other nation? Now that the USSR is gone the US is the leader of the space race, regardless of low public motivation.
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:51
NASA may seem the traidional candidate... but i really doubt they stand a chance to the Chinese and the ESA. And i say thing because NASA depends on funds, as any other space program of course, the differece being that the Chinese place a great amount of pride in their space program, while the europeans can hurdle lots of euros in the program ( time will tell ). NASA on the other hand.. beying fooled in thinking that the space race is already won.. tends to be cocky. Time will tell. i place my money on the Chinese
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2009, 02:54
More $ =/= (necessarily) greater success. My opinion is that NASA is going through a flop in terms of new achievements. The International space station wouldn't be in orbit without Russian technology perfected from the experience with Mir. The Space shuttle has finally been accepted as a total waste, and efforts at building a workable rocket for manned space flight have run into problems. It's not just low public motivation, but low government motivation. That's what the problem is.

However, when China gets itself moving and shows the world that it is a real competitor and threat, NASA will suddenly find itself a much higher priority.
Post 07 Apr 2009, 03:18
My opinion is that NASA gor realy cocky after Armstrong's presumed moon landing. The Soviet space program is a ghost.. and they think that they have the edge. But my money are on the Chinese because they are willing to invest huge amounts of capital in this endevour, and mainly they see this as a thing of pure pride. It'll be communism vs. capitalism all over again. And, again, communism will prevail.

edit : as far as NASA's motivation goes... afaik the US have another space program within the air force, purely for military reasons of course. NASA is, for some time now, left out. Although it still is an american institution.. NASA is viewed as an international program.. alonside with Russia, ESA and so on.
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 07 Apr 2009, 03:50
I also feel the need to add that the US spent millions of dollars to develop a pen that writes in space, and the Soviets just used a pencil. I find that to be funny.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Post 07 Apr 2009, 03:55
Soviet - simple, cheap, effective.
US - complicated, expensive, utterly useless.

And they say Stalin had a cult of personality.
Politburo
Post 07 Apr 2009, 04:09
Quote:
Soviet - simple, cheap, effective.
US - complicated, expensive, utterly useless.

In that regard, the Soviet Union was very much in line with Ockham's Razor.
Post 07 Apr 2009, 04:18
That's why the Soviets came on top, at least in the space race.
1x5
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 41
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Feb 2009, 18:04
Pioneer
Post 18 Apr 2009, 20:24
Quote:
I think you're taking the term 'space race' too literally. Do you also think that the arms race was meant literally as well?

Only because Americans talk about it in terms of them winning it because they put a man on the moon first.

Quote:
I also feel the need to add that the US spent millions of dollars to develop a pen that writes in space, and the Soviets just used a pencil. I find that to be funny.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
Politburo
Post 19 Apr 2009, 02:14
It is true that the Soviets and Americans did originally use pencils but, as the article linked to says, the lesson of the anecdote is a valid one. The Americans are notorious for coming up with needlessly high tech and and expensive solutions to engineering problems, while the Soviets tended towards the "simple is better" approach. Naturally, Soviet solutions were a lot more basic, but still very effective, and a lot cheaper.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.