Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Evolution of Soviet rockets

Soviet cogitations: 1151
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Jan 2007, 19:56
Party Member
Post 02 May 2007, 18:44
As the Soviet Union kept sending things like dogs,monkeys,man and women how did the rockets meant to reach space evolve during all this time?What also happened to the space program during the 1980's?Was that perestroika looking to spend less or what?

Don't Worry I'm Not Banned!
Soviet cogitations: 1103
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jul 2006, 10:21
Party Member
Post 02 May 2007, 18:53
Quote:
As the Soviet Union kept sending things like dogs,monkeys,man and women how did the rockets meant to reach space evolve during all this time?

I would say Soviet space probes were one of the most advanced in the world- their planetary study of Venus is still the most complete compilation of probe gathered data to date. And also, you can't forget Mir...

And even today, the Soyuz platform is still being used in the ISS.

Quote:
Was that perestroika looking to spend less or what?

Perestroika was meant to flush the entire USSR down the toilet and everything along with it. On that account, it did its job...
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 02 May 2007, 21:06
It's only sad that the four N1 rockets exploded, so the soviets didn't reach up the Moon before Appolo.

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Soviet cogitations: 1151
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Jan 2007, 19:56
Party Member
Post 02 May 2007, 22:36
What type of equipment did they use to explore the planet of venus?Did they reach the surface?

Don't Worry I'm Not Banned!
Soviet cogitations: 1103
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jul 2006, 10:21
Party Member
Post 02 May 2007, 22:49
Quote:
What type of equipment did they use to explore the planet of venus?Did they reach the surface?

Here's a relatively straight forward read on the Soviet space programme, though it is focused on their Venus programme, which was by far the most successful space progs the USSR embarked on..

http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_Venus.htm

And yes, unless I'm mistaken, the USSR was the first to reach Venus' surface...they had a variety of rovers & landers..

Here are some links specifically pointing to that...

http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_Lavochkin2.htm
Soviet cogitations: 1038
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Jun 2006, 07:25
Party Member
Post 03 May 2007, 04:27

Homer: "You guys are commies? Then why am I seeing free markets?"
Soviet cogitations: 57
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Aug 2010, 14:35
Pioneer
Post 16 Aug 2010, 19:42
The Soviets were not only the first, but to date, the only country that landed on Venus.
All the others did was cloud surfing, but not landing on Venus. Which is some harsh as the pressure is some 70 atmosphere there and very hot. The landers could only report for a couple of minutes and then broke down due to the enormous heat and pressure.
However the failed many times landing on Mars.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.