Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Manned chinese rocket to space again.

Soviet cogitations: 2272
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2005, 13:28
Party Bureaucrat
Post 12 Oct 2005, 16:54
Quote:
BEIJING (Reuters) - China's second manned spacecraft blasted off from a remote northwestern launch site on Wednesday, two years after the country joined an elite club of space powers.

An elated Premier Wen Jiabao and other leaders were in Jiuquan to witness the launch, which has raised China's astronautic profile alongside new-found diplomatic and economic clout.

"You will once again show that the Chinese people have the will, confidence and capability to mount scientific peaks ceaselessly," the official Xinhua news agency quoted Wen as telling the astronauts.

Fei Junlong, 40, and Nie Haisheng, 41, colonels in the People's Liberation Army, were handpicked from 14 fighter pilots and had been in the running for China's first manned space launch in 2003.

"There is nothing to worry about," state television quoted the pair as saying before Shenzhou VI lifted off as light snow fell. "We will accomplish the mission resolutely. See you in Beijing."

"I feel good," Fei, a native of China's richest city, Kunshan, said minutes after the blast-off from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center, deep in the desert of the northwestern province of Gansu.

State television broadcast the lift-off live and showed the pair inside the Shenzhou capsule waving at the camera after the spacecraft entered orbit.

They later showed the pair flipping through flight manuals and pushing buttons by computer screens.

The capsule, based on the Russian Soyuz spacecraft developed in the late 1960s and still in service, is due to touch down in the remote northern region of Inner Mongolia on Monday.

The launch came just a day after the Communist Party wrapped up a key meeting to map out the development of the world's seventh-largest economy for the next five years. It also came as China opens its 10th National Games, dubbed its mini-Olympic Games, ahead of the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

China had stressed on Tuesday that its space program was peaceful and it did not want to enter any arms race in space.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

In the Chinese capital, President Hu Jintao and Vice President Zeng Qinghong watched the lift-off at the Beijing Aerospace Command and Control Center.

China is determined to become a serious space player and set up a National Astronaut Training Center in Beijing this week. Xinhua said it was only the third such facility in the world.

"We should never slacken our efforts to explore the mystery of space," said Nie, described by Xinhua as a "cowboy"

State television carried blanket coverage of the launch, using a slightly modified version of the theme from the 1970s U.S. cult sci-fi series "Battlestar Galactica" as background music.

"We're very happy and not especially nervous, because we have faith in science," Fei's bemused-looking father told China Central Television in thickly accented Mandarin as firecrackers exploded nearby at the family's home in eastern Jiangsu province.

China's first man in space was Colonel Yang Liwei, who orbited Earth 14 times aboard Shenzhou V craft in October 2003.

Underlining how far China has to catch up space powers Russia and the United States, a Russian capsule carrying a cosmonaut, a U.S. astronaut and an American space tourist returned to Earth on Tuesday from the International Space Station.

The former Soviet Union and the United States put their first men into space in 1961.

China has had a long -- if not always successful -- relationship with space travel.

So chinese have gone to space again.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticleSearch.aspx?storyID=101970+12-Oct-2005+RTRS&srch=space
-With solidarity, FC

Soviet cogitations: 202
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Nov 2004, 21:07
Pioneer
Post 12 Oct 2005, 19:34
There is no stopping China anymore. However, I have double feelings about China. The communist party is still the only party that has the power and probably will be the only party, but it seems only a small percentage of the Chinese benefits of China's new wealth. They let western companies make use of their cheap manpower, that is ideal for the capitalist companies, but it isn't marxism. Also they seem to trade with Cuba and Venezuela and they are the next world superpower. This is a difficult time comrades...
Soviet cogitations: 7674
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2004, 02:08
Embalmed
Post 12 Oct 2005, 21:08
Stop saying China is Communist, theres obvious class seperation, theres obvious exploitation in and outside the country, and little good has come to the people besides $.
Soviet cogitations: 1675
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jun 2004, 19:28
Party Member
Post 12 Oct 2005, 21:44
He, uh, didn't say China was communist. He did, however,say:
Quote:
it isn't marxism.

Genuine WCM Sig
Soviet cogitations: 823
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Dec 2004, 18:03
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 12 Oct 2005, 22:01
He just said the Communist Party is still the major power broker there but really it should be called the Cappies who love to pretend they remember Mao party. Its nice to see China advancing but it makes me sad that they had to whore themselves out to advance this far.

Sig Created by Comrade Babeuf
Soviet cogitations: 1019
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2004, 21:30
Party Member
Post 13 Oct 2005, 06:34
Quote:
and little good has come to the people besides $.

Chinese who suffer hunger has dropped 30% in 90's. But that does not count?

China started developing after Mao died and Deng started his reforms. For example Chinas proportion of world product has been in steady rise. In Maos time it was standing still.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9276
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 13 Oct 2005, 14:43
... And that is how China became the most humane and equal nation in the world...

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 4415
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 13 Oct 2005, 22:25
Quote:
... And that is how China became the most humane and equal nation in the world...

I don't think that Turhapuro ever claimed that China is humane and equal. I think he has a point, if he can back it up with a link, on a decline in poverty. But based on my readings, Chinese prosperity growth has not only been highly unequal, but also highly detrimental to the Chinese peasantry, who have lost their rights (in many cases) to free education, medical service, etc.

Regarding Mao though I would definitely think Turhapuro is right. He had no idea what the hell he was doing and most of his actions only resulted in famine, violence, and oppression.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9276
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 13 Oct 2005, 23:55
Well I'm no maoist either, I just don't like the new China's policies that much either.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 344
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 May 2005, 17:11
Komsomol
Post 20 Feb 2006, 11:28
Mao had some really strange ideas of building up the economy. For example he started a project of mass production of steel. He rallied the whole country in just making steel, even doctors had to help in steel production. The people on the farms built improvised furnaces to make steel, but it was such poor quality that it couldn't be used for anything. And they had tons of it...
This is just an example of strange orders given by Mao, he wanted something but he didn't know how, it sometimes turned into a disaster.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 6
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Mar 2007, 00:21
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 24 Mar 2007, 04:52
Why worry about the Chinese space programme? Ron White wrote a stand up comody act about it for crissake.
Soviet cogitations: 1785
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 17 Jan 2005, 07:15
Unperson
Post 24 Mar 2007, 06:56
Very nice to see the Chinese keep advancing.

With facts at hand, I would say "whoring themselves out" benefited them way more due to the material conditions instead of having them close up and remain feudal
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.