Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Space Race programme on British telly

Soviet cogitations: 18
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Oct 2005, 07:09
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 02 Oct 2005, 07:27
Has anyone else been watching 'Space Race' on BBC2 at all? I've found it hugely entertaining and informative. I've also derived quite a lot of pleasure from the early American space programme hardly getting up in the air

Comrade Fox
Soviet cogitations: 72
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Feb 2004, 10:31
Pioneer
Post 02 Oct 2005, 09:41
Yes, I've been watching it, but I thought it actually had a bit too much of a pro-US slant. For example in real life, after the launch of Explorer 1 (the USA's first satellite), Von Braun actually said;
"Let us not forget that our 30 pounds payload in orbit is just a fraction of Sputnik 1's 180 pounds and a small fraction of Sputnik 2's 1100 pounds in orbit. So I can only reapeat what I said earlier, so far we are only competing (with the USSR) in spirit, not in hardware."
In the programme this bit wasn't mentioned, and Explorer 1 was portrayed as a major leap forwards. Still, a good, interesting programme. If ever they reapeat the 3 part "Horizon" special called "Red Star in Orbit" (first shown in 1990), don't miss that as it gives a much better overview of the Soviet space programme up to the 1970s.
Soviet cogitations: 138
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Mar 2003, 16:57
Pioneer
Post 02 Oct 2005, 10:49
Yep, I've been following the series too. It's good to see Soviet firsts like the Luna probes, Leonov's first spacewalk etc. getting a mention, since many space race documentaries ignore them completely.

I hope they manage to slip in a reference to Salyut and Mir too, although it's a little beyond the Von Braun/Korolev era the series seems to be covering...
Post 03 Oct 2005, 01:27
I'll keep my eye out for that Horizon programme being repeated. It sounds very interesting. One of the things that I've enjoyed about this series are the reconstructions of the Soviet launches.
Pioneer
Post 04 Oct 2005, 17:11
Many of them aren't reconstructions - there is a lot of archive stuff amongst the "acted bits". The launches etc. are all original Soviet films.
Post 05 Oct 2005, 00:03
Fair point, Comrade Komaroff. I should have worded my post a little better. What I meant was the dramatisations of the events surrounding the launches, not the launches themselves.
Pioneer
Post 05 Oct 2005, 09:13
I see! Yes, I agree, Comrade Fox. I am enjoying he series in general, I think the guy playing SP Korolev is doing a great job. Still think the series is paying a bit to much respect to the early US programme, and making it seem closer to the USSR's achievments than it was in reality. This last programme will no doubt major on the US triumphs of the late 60s where they did indeed overtake the Soviets in the race to the Moon. However, as Krasniy Yastreb mentioned, The USSR developed an early lead in the field of space stations - and the current International Space Station owes much to Salyut & Mir.
Incidentally, if anyone is interested in the early manned Soviet programme (the Korolev era), the best book in my opinion is "Rocket Men", by Rex Hall & David Shayler. It's usually available from most on-line booksellers.
Soviet cogitations: 138
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Mar 2003, 16:57
Pioneer
Post 05 Oct 2005, 09:20
Quote:
the best book in my opinion is "Rocket Men", by Rex Hall & David Shayler

Is this the same David Shayler as the ex-MI5 agent who recently spilled the beans on his bosses and fled to France to avoid arrest?

Post 05 Oct 2005, 19:22
I think you are right about how tonight's programme will run. To be honest, I've got mixed feelings about the race to the Moon. Whilst it was definitely a major scientific achievement and a status symbol to be there first, I can't help but feel that the actual concrete results gained for the world have been limited so far beyond of course the actual fact of the landings.

I'd like to think that one day in the future we will be able to make use of interplanetary resources for the good of all.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.