Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Edward Gierek

Soviet cogitations: 88
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 03 Feb 2013, 00:37
Pioneer
Post 21 Feb 2013, 01:39
Could someone explain more about Edward Gierek? Today Gierek is the best viewed of all Poland's ex-presidents, also his son Adam won the election for the European Parliament. And, the standard of life during his ruling of Poland increased markedly. He also gives legal status to Solidarnosc.

But it is hard to have informations about Gierek. Please can someone share real informations with me?

If someone have a good or a bad opinion about Gierek, please show me why.
Soviet cogitations: 2870
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Nov 2005, 17:55
Party Bureaucrat
Post 24 Mar 2013, 16:22
Sadly, the only information I can glean is from the usual western sources. Essentially, Gierek came to power in the wake of riots over food price hikes in 1970, in which the deaths of a few protestors resulted in former PM Gomulka's resignation. Gierek essentially tried to tackle this problem through upgrading Poland's agricultural productivity and overall infrastructure, but seems to have done so through borrowing on the international debt market, and taking advantage of the USSR's sweetheart oil deal with the CMEA, post the 1973 oil shock. The short-term benefits of Gierek's program reflected well on him, whereas the resulting indebtedness and austerity really only became a problem for successive administrations and not his:hence Gierek's good name today.

However, there are a lot of holes in this narrative, but that's my current undersatnding.

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
--Napoleon Bonaparte
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.