Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Communist Dictators

Soviet cogitations: 639
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Jan 2006, 20:57
Komsomol
Post 18 Oct 2007, 23:14
Quote:
The Economist Intelligence Unit, while admitting that "There is no consensus on how to measure democracy" and that "definitions of democracy are contested", lists North Korea in last place as the most authoritarian regime in its index of democracy assessing 167 countries. North Korea's political system is built upon the principle of centralization. While the constitution guarantees the protection of human rights and democratic government, most power is within the hands of a ruling elite dominated by Kim Jong-il, the de facto leader of the country.

I think that only the individual can assess what is free and what isn't. Its up to you what you see as being 'free'. I'm sure that most Germans (not all) living from 1933-1945 thought they lived a free life, free to restore the Germanic influence of power in Europe.

If the masses in the DPRK thought they lived under an oppressive, un-free regime surely there would have been uprisings in the past.

I personally don't feel the DPRK is free but then again I dont see any state as free...

Lenin wrote:
While the state exists there is no freedom.

Last edited by ComRich on 19 Oct 2007, 00:14, edited 2 times in total.

"The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win."
Soviet cogitations: 7674
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2004, 02:08
Embalmed
Post 18 Oct 2007, 23:46
Quote:
I think that only the individual can assess what is free and what isn't. Its up to you what you see as being 'free'. I'm sure that most Germans (not all) living from 1933-1945 thought they lived a free life, free to restore the Germanic influence of power in Europe.

If the masses in the DPRK thought they lived under an oppressive, un-free regime surely there would have been uprisings in the past.

I personally don't feel the DPRK is free but then again I dont see any state as free...

Freedom has a cost: The state.
The State has a cost: Freedom.

The only things which have freedom are in nature, and since we choose to distance ourselves from nature, we in turn are not free.
Soviet cogitations: 466
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 05 Jan 2006, 18:25
Komsomol
Post 19 Oct 2007, 02:27
Quote:
If the masses in the DPRK thought they lived under an oppressive, un-free regime surely there would have been uprisings in the past

Your are incorect, how could they know what freedom is when all information is kept from them? They live like fish in a bowl oblicious to the outside world.

To be blunt they don't know any better because they have never seen better.
"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." R. Reagan
Embalmed
Post 19 Oct 2007, 02:37
Quote:
Your are incorect, how could they know what freedom is when all information is kept from them? They live like fish in a bowl oblicious to the outside world.

To be blunt they don't know any better because they have never seen better.
It's a context of relativity, all human cultures have experienced oppressive leadership and have 'liberated' themselves for their 'freedom'.

I stress those two words because no one person can be free from birth anymore. To question if one is more free than the next is a matter of relativity in relation to cultural differences. What is free to an Oriental whos culture is built on Confucianism which stresses order is FAR different from one whos culture is built culture+cultural systems which advocate order to an extent(see Hobbes) esp. when those cultural systems continuously clash with eachother(see Locke vs. Hobbes vs. Rousseau).

So to wrap the above up: You cant tell someone is free when you dont share the same evolutionary cultural heritage, Take Iraq or Afghanistan for example: 'Liberating' a people for 'democracy' is impossible when they've yet to build themselves up to those select values/accept them.
Soviet cogitations: 466
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 05 Jan 2006, 18:25
Komsomol
Post 19 Oct 2007, 03:27
Quote:
So to wrap the above up: You cant tell someone is free when you dont share the same evolutionary cultural heritage

North Korea is a dictatorship that controls all information in and out, regardless of your "evolutionary cultural heritage" this is not freedom
"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." R. Reagan
Embalmed
Post 19 Oct 2007, 05:23
Quote:
North Korea is a dictatorship that controls all information in and out, regardless of your "evolutionary cultural heritage" this is not freedom

Yet all information received by us has sponsoring or is more or less run by a news company....Where are you going with this?
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 24 Apr 2008, 01:19
Quote:
15 Fidel Castro, Cuba, Age 79, In power since 1959

I don't believe that Castro was a dictator. The US views him negatively, but it was just because Cuba is a communist state.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Soviet cogitations: 6887
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Nov 2007, 08:37
Unperson
Post 24 Apr 2008, 04:29
Is necroposting ok on these forums? Just wondering because this seems to be old and dead.
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 24 Apr 2008, 09:24
From what I've seen, it's tolerated if the the thread is not more than a year old.
Soviet cogitations: 55
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Apr 2008, 01:32
Pioneer
Post 01 Aug 2008, 19:55
A "dictatorship" is simply the term Bourgeoisie Liberal Democrats use to describe any country or leader that doesn't comply with their vision of how a country ought to be run. Combined with 'authoritarianism' and 'totalitarianism', these make up the 'anti-democratic' nations classifications so commonly used to delegitimize and criticize a state.

I urge anybody from becoming indignant from reading these classifications. They are just the world leadership's way of saying 'these countries/leaders are a thorn in our side that won't comply with our vision of how the world should be run'.

Of course there are definitely some leaders in this group that are hurting their people and nations -but that's the trouble with these classifications; they merely say "Democratic" (with us, serving our interests, performing according to our vision of 'democracy'), or "anti-democratic" (against us, not following our rules/values)

The Head of State shouldn't be able to remain until he deems it okay to leave. There should at least be a decade and a half limit or something.
Soviet cogitations: 9306
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 02 Mar 2004, 15:19
Old Bolshevik
Post 29 Aug 2008, 00:14
hahaha wtf? At least a decade and a half? I would've used at most.

Anyways it's called a dictator. The marxist term is dictatorship of the proletariat.

The fact that dictator's aren't hugely popular is because people generally like the personal freedom that we enjoy in the west. If a communist revolution were to come along here and they promised to start taking aware many of the freedoms we enjoy now, do you think they would become popular?

Now of course the communist states of the past (and some of the present) need also to be taken in their current context. (The same as potential communist states in the west.) It's a strange tendency on this forum that people think taking away freedoms is an integral part of the revolution. Who wants to lose their freedom of speech or who would support a one party state? I certainly can't imagine participating in such an act.

Fitzy wrote:
Yes, because I am poisoning them. They are my children.
Soviet cogitations: 215
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Mar 2009, 04:41
Pioneer
Post 16 Mar 2009, 06:05
Rammstein. wrote:
A "dictatorship" is simply the term Bourgeoisie Liberal Democrats use to describe any country or leader that doesn't comply with their vision of how a country ought to be run. Combined with 'authoritarianism' and 'totalitarianism', these make up the 'anti-democratic' nations classifications so commonly used to delegitimize and criticize a state.

I like that Rammstein, very well put. Funny how Hitler isn't #1 or #2.
"Discover your humanity and your love in revolution." -George Jackson
Soviet cogitations: 10785
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 18 Mar 2009, 23:54
Odd how this thread from 2006 won't die; however, Hitler isn't on there because it is only leaders that are still in power.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1278
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2009, 02:54
Party Member
Post 17 Apr 2009, 21:11
Just a question comrades, do you consider Stalin a dictator? I don't think anyone would call Lenin or Khrushchev a dictator since the parliament played a big part in politics. And in NK's case, he was voted in by his peers.
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Philosophized
Post 17 Apr 2009, 21:15
I don't classify the word "dictator" as necessarily negative, but still Stalin would qualify for my view of a dictator, and imo not a positive one.
Soviet cogitations: 4953
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Feb 2008, 15:25
Politburo
Post 18 Apr 2009, 01:25
Quote:
Just a question comrades, do you consider Stalin a dictator?

Stalin was a leader in the Soviet dictatorship of the proletariat, so in that sense he was a dictator. I however don't agree with Dogoth's assertion that he was negative (see the Stalin vs Trotsky debate). Indeed there are academics around (particularly in Russia) who have used archival evidence to show that Stalin planned to implement a greater democratic process in the USSR which of course is not something a dictator (by the western understanding of the term) would do.

I have a great article about this in my bookmarks which I linked to on this forum last week sometime. If you want to read it but can't find it, send me a pm.
Soviet cogitations: 1384
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2009, 03:41
Party Member
Post 28 May 2009, 08:48
i think that communist dictators should be compared to capitalist and still monarchical dictators. the ideals between communism are very similar to those of the french republic , liberty, fraternity, equality. even if a person's belief are capitalist she should think about the difference between a normal dictatorship and a communist one.

at least in it's ideals, which may or may not work any more than our own, communism strive for a public and equal health system, for equal schooling and massive investment in countries lacking the infrastructure for it. the communist nationalize industry that they feel foreign players have been exploiting, such as oil compagny or mining industry.

We should compare them equally when it comes to persecution of opposition, and freedom of speech in liberal third world presidential dictatorship. we should leave it out that these country have 2 ways to oppose us and our hegemony, and that communism instill social progress and re-educate it's population against racism,discrimination and general violence.
Soviet cogitations: 542
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 31 Aug 2009, 07:21
Komsomol
Post 06 Sep 2009, 07:08
Quote:
She is not even a figurehead. And she's definitely not a dictator, she's a Monarch. There is a difference.

The only issue that I would have with the Queen, is that the British Tax Dollar pays for her rose garden, but I don't live in Britain either. So, I guess it's not my problem!
Soviet cogitations: 542
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 31 Aug 2009, 07:21
Komsomol
Post 06 Sep 2009, 08:28
The American Press are very quick to publish these articles, but the American public seems to be quick to forget how many dictators, right or left, have been put into power, with the aide of the C.I.A. in a coupe, like this guy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castillo_Armas
Soviet cogitations: 56
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Aug 2009, 02:30
Pioneer
Post 13 Sep 2009, 05:37
i have a question for you. if you were forced to live in an utopia, would you fight for your right to live fragged up?
We must march ever forward, creating new ritches and liberating mankind from its chains
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.