Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Something I missed (USSR 1970s)

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 33
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Jul 2016, 17:21
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 25 Sep 2016, 19:35
Hello dear comrades,

I have been researching the USSR for quite a while now, and I've read stories and seen pictures of people standing in line for food. Now, I know this was a thing, but most pictures I've seen come from the 1980-1991 era, which was the worst period of the USSR (after Stalin), when looking at food availability and living standards and stuff like that. My research and other theories and facts suggest that the 1965-1975 era of the USSR was the best when looking at living standards and food availability. But were there long lines for food in the 1965-1975 era? One thing is for sure: basic goods were generally always available in the 1965-1975 era, but not in the 1980-1991 era.

So, does anyone know the answer to my question: were there long waiting queues for food in the 1965-1975 era and if so, were they as long as the 1980-1991 era?

Thanks,

USSR
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2016, 04:55
In Murmansk, at least, I think that the first decade of Brezhnev was probably the best time to live there. Because of its importance as a naval center, the city was very well stocked with food and petty personal goods. Anything that was lacking could be bartered for if you knew a soldier or, better yet, were one yourself. At the same time, I think that Murmansk was a "closed city" - closed to Westerners - so that the economy was somewhat insulated from outside shocks.

All of the above is what I gathered from the testimony of relatives when I went to visit Murmansk. It should also be kept in mind that Murmansk has huge refineries for oil, natural gas, and seafood, so that the city was relatively wealthy by Soviet standards (below Moscow and Leningrad, but well above a Siberian backwater like Kosh-Agach). Many of the most intimate personal goods could be manufactured and distributed on the spot.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 26 Sep 2016, 06:26
Hmm. Very interesting. I looked up pictures of Murmansk and it looked a lot like a typical Soviet city: many large apartments and a lot of snow, haha. But if Murmansk was below the standards of Moscow and Leningrad, were these cities very good to live in? I think that they were the best cities to live in (at least during the 1965-1975 era).

Thanks,

USSR
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 26 Sep 2016, 06:28
Comrade Gulper wrote:
In Murmansk, at least, I think that the first decade of Brezhnev was probably the best time to live there. Because of its importance as a naval center, the city was very well stocked with food and petty personal goods. Anything that was lacking could be bartered for if you knew a soldier or, better yet, were one yourself. At the same time, I think that Murmansk was a "closed city" - closed to Westerners - so that the economy was somewhat insulated from outside shocks.

All of the above is what I gathered from the testimony of relatives when I went to visit Murmansk. It should also be kept in mind that Murmansk has huge refineries for oil, natural gas, and seafood, so that the city was relatively wealthy by Soviet standards (below Moscow and Leningrad, but well above a Siberian backwater like Kosh-Agach). Many of the most intimate personal goods could be manufactured and distributed on the spot.

Were Moscow and Leningrad also well stocked when it came to food and personal goods?
[+-]
Pioneer
Post 05 Nov 2016, 17:22
?
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.