Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Some worries about the USSR.

Soviet cogitations: 1
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jun 2015, 14:07
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 14 Jun 2015, 16:56
I have almost always been a fan of the political, economic and social system prevalent in the USSR.
However, I have some concerns especially about some aspects of the Stalin era!
Some time ago I decided to produce a paper on Stalin's treatment, in 1944, of the Crimean Tatars, but I found the task heavy going and, emotionally, rather upsetting . I took a break, from the work, and have been unable to put pen to paper since.
On a less serious note I have had doubts, in the past, about food standards. One sometimes gets the impression the two main staples of the Soviet diet (some exaggeration here surely) were potatoes and vodka. I have to say one of my college lecturers returned to the UK, after a year in the USSR, 2 stones (around !2.5 kilos} heavier.
This would not suit me as I enjoy a varied diet composed of substantial amounts of food, especially for lunch. Basically I am a gourmet although I have been criticised for holding what some have called an arrogant view about my abilities in this field.
I remain, however, still reasonably sure the average Soviet diet contained all the essential nutrients required for both physical and intellectual work.
I would welcome any comments on this post.
Robert.
Last edited by D J Boot on 15 Jun 2015, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1277
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Sep 2011, 13:51
Party Member
Post 15 Jun 2015, 00:12
D J Boot wrote:
This would not suit me as I enjoy a varied diet, with substantial amounts, especially for lunch. Basically I am a gourmet although I have been criticised for holding this view.
I remain, however, still reasonably sure the average Soviet diet contained all the essential nutrients required for both physical and intellectual work.
I would welcome any comments on this post.

Soviet cuisine is the best. Take it from me.

I spoke about this previously here.

My laws shall act more pleasure than command,
And with my prick I'll govern all the land.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.