Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

What would interrogators wear in a 1960s Gulag setting?

Soviet cogitations: 5
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 03 Aug 2014, 08:33
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 03 Aug 2014, 09:05
I'm planning to do a short animation set in the 60s
If I recall correctly,the NKVD was dissolved in 1946 so they would no longer play the role of interrogators I think.
Who would do the interrogations if there were no more NKVD?The KGB?Or just regular prison guards?
What would the clothing of the interrogators look like in a 1960s gulag setting?
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 03 Aug 2014, 10:44
In brief, there were no Gulags in the 1960s; the NKVD was not dissolved so much as split into the MVD and the KGB. As to who would do interrogations, it depends on the crime committed; for most things it would be in a civil setting under the supervision of the militsiya (police), otherwise referred to as the MVD. Otherwise, I can't understand why someone would be interrogated in a prison setting, given that they've already been convicted and sentenced.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Post 03 Aug 2014, 13:35
soviet78 wrote:
In brief, there were no Gulags in the 1960s; the NKVD was not dissolved so much as split into the MVD and the KGB.

What was the year of the last Gulag?Was it closed by MVD in 1960?

Quote:
As to who would do interrogations, it depends on the crime committed; for most things it would be in a civil setting under the supervision of the militsiya (police), otherwise referred to as the MVD.

How does militsiya uniform look like?I tried a google search but couldn't find anything?
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Aug 2014, 15:15
Garuda wrote:
How does militsiya uniform look like?I tried a google search but couldn't find anything?

http://www.vintag.es/2013/11/vintage-po ... olice.html

No pictures, but the propaganda posters should give you an idea.

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prol├ętariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
Resident Soviet
Post 03 Aug 2014, 18:14
Garuda wrote:
What was the year of the last Gulag?Was it closed by MVD in 1960?

That's right. After that all that was left was a system of penal colonies -basically just remote prisons. If your story is about political prisoners of some sort, note that as time went on their numbers went down dramatically, and by the mid 1980s there were something like 100 of them in the whole of the country (I remember reading this in Politburo meeting papers from when Gorbachev had just come to power and asked the KGB about it).

Apparently in 1958 the MVD was given a new set of rules about uniforms. Here they are (click on the links to see pictures of different ranks). http://www.vedomstva-uniforma.ru/mil1958/mil1958.html Use google translate on the page if necessary -it should be fairly accurate.

Indigo, that collection you posted is very interesting. The last one especially, probably from perestroika times, shows a dirty uniform with 'brutality', 'bribery', 'corruption', etc. written all over it. Just another example of how everything at that time was covered with dirt and spit on, exactly at the moment when the militsiya was overwhelmed with the rise of organized crime.

My favourite militsiya related poster was always this one:

The officer is always on guard; in the dead of the evening among the city lights. 'Always be at your post'.

This one is also nice:

"Truly the people's -Ulyanov (Lenin)"
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 1201
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2008, 14:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Forum Commissar
Post 03 Aug 2014, 18:29
That's incredible, Soviet. I had no idea that the time range was so large, especially considering how similar the art style is. As a sidenote, I've always regretted never learning to read Russian for exactly this reason.

Forum Rules

Red_Son: Bob Avakian is the Glenn Beck of communism.
"Le prol├ętariat; c'est moi." - King Indigo XIV
Post 03 Aug 2014, 19:21
Thanks everyone for the pictures.Just one last question.What would a low ranking Gulag prison guard's uniform look like?
Resident Soviet
Post 04 Aug 2014, 02:33
Just admit it already -you're going to make a stereotypical Red Alert informed interpretation of the criminal nature of the Soviet system, aren't you.
Post 04 Aug 2014, 07:00
soviet78 wrote:
Just admit it already -you're going to make a stereotypical Red Alert informed interpretation of the criminal nature of the Soviet system, aren't you.

No.
I'm actually making a story of an alien who takes many forms one of them including a gulag prison guard.
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 04 Aug 2014, 07:49
Make him a Russophobic Jew-Reptiloid-Mason-antichristian and you've got yourself a hit-story in RF.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.