Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Phage Therapy

Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2011, 00:54
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 11 Jan 2014, 16:51
I'm aware the USSR put a lot of effort and resources into developing Phage Therapy as a viable equivalent to Antibiotics but I'm unaware as to how much knowledge of this field of Scientific Development was publicised to Soviet Citizenry in general.

Can anybody shed light on this?
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
tdn
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 28
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Apr 2014, 11:15
Pioneer
Post 02 May 2014, 05:56
omnimercurial wrote:
I'm aware the USSR put a lot of effort and resources into developing Phage Therapy as a viable equivalent to Antibiotics but I'm unaware as to how much knowledge of this field of Scientific Development was publicised to Soviet Citizenry in general.

Can anybody shed light on this?

I've found a review article in English in 2012 about page therapy written by Nina Chanishvili at the George Eliava Institute of Bacteriophage, Microbiology and Virology in Tbilisi (Georgia). In the paper, she describes the research and uses of bacteriophage in treating bacterial infections in dermatology, ophthalmology, urology, stomatology, pediatrics, otolaryngology, and surgery.
These works were published in the USSR, and patients from all over the Union came to the Georgian SSR for bacteriophage therapy. These facts suggest that this therapy was widely known by Soviet citizens. It is rarely known in the West due to lack of scientific information exchange during the Cold War.

Chanishvili also mentioned in her review article that many phage therapy studies were not designed properly and so the conclusions might not be as solid and convincing as they appeared in Soviet journals. However, the effects of page therapy cannot be dismissed and further studies should take these into account.

Here's the link to Chanishvili's paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22748807

And here's a BBC documentary about phage therapy in which they mention about the use of this therapy in the USSR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6sZ7E9Hh-Y
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Dec 2011, 00:54
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 06 May 2014, 07:06
Ah Thank you very much!

I will read these most thoroughly.

I'm still learning about Phage Therapy but what I have read soo far makes clear the need for a centtralised state funded endeavour which is unlikely to occur in Nations that the Pharma Corps via Capitalism hold so much sway.
"A shiny bauble from Capitalism is worthless when the cost is Children & the Elderly going hungry, The Infirm & Sick dying because of Greed & Education reduced to a token few to placate the masses with Illusions of freedom."
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.