Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Courtship in the Soviet Union

Soviet cogitations: 216
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Jul 2013, 05:04
Ideology: Other Leftist
Pioneer
Post 13 Aug 2013, 04:04
What was courtship like in the Soviet Union and other former communist states? What were popular dating activities? Was courtship easier because there was less economic pressure on the parties? Did the Soviet government encourage marriage versus cohabitation and other living arrangements?
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 13 Aug 2013, 12:01
No idea. Though the USSR was quite a conservative society.
And during Stalin at least who you married mattered a lot as it could gain you privileges and open up the doors to "high society" and/or cause significant trouble in case the NKVD took interest in anyone in your extended family.
But there were some real economic pressures for people to start families such as, i think, singles having to pay more taxes and not having the right to bigger and better appartments. Not 100% sure on that though.
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 13 Aug 2013, 17:24
From bits and pieces I have read around the interwebs, You did indeed have an incentive to get married, since married people had priority for larger apartments.

Not USSR, but there's a documentary about East Germany called "Do communists have better sex?" and it discusses how more equal gender roles, and a fairly pro-sex east german outlook meant that DDR girls tended to have sex more frequently and reported higher satisfaction.

Sociologists of course were all over east germany after unification since you had a perfect study case for all sorts of social ideas.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
tdn
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 28
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Apr 2014, 11:15
Pioneer
Post 01 May 2014, 05:42
Piccolo wrote:
What were popular dating activities?

I remember watching "Moskva does not believe in tears" (Москва слезам не верит), there was a dating club headed by a lady named Olga Pavlovna (played by Liya Akhedzhakova). In the movie, Olga tried to convince Katerina Tikhomirova (played by Vera Alentova) to join the dating club because there was a 'shortage' of women in the club and too many men.

I don't know how popular these dating services were?
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.