Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

How was the alcohol in the communist world?

Soviet cogitations: 31
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Jul 2007, 18:36
Pioneer
Post 06 Aug 2007, 16:50
Beer without vodka is like throwing money into the wind.

On another note, Cuban beer is light and watery crap, though the Havana Club Ron Siete anos is good stuff.
Soviet cogitations: 7674
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2004, 02:08
Embalmed
Post 06 Aug 2007, 17:00
Quote:
In Romania and Hungary we had this stuff that was much like Soviet rocket fuel, called Palinka. We still have it and just a small sip is enough to get most folks drunk and it burns all the way down. Most of it is homemade.

In North America, its called Everclear. It's made of 196proof and burning out your neck.
Soviet cogitations: 67
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Apr 2007, 14:32
Pioneer
Post 06 Aug 2007, 17:36
Quote:
In North America, its called Everclear. It's made of 196proof and burning out your neck.

Only real comrades can handle it
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 3618
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Oct 2004, 15:15
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 06 Aug 2007, 17:45
This article on why the "Reinheitsgebot" is a load of old bollocks, also mentions that DDR beer was just fine, and makes fun of Wessi chauvinism regarding beer. It can also be read in German and French.

www.europeanbeerguide.net itself has a lot of info about beer everywhere, including former Warsaw Pact countries. Also funny: beer Stalinism and Trotskyism.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2007 ... kyist.html

I have nothing but good things to say about Rostocker and Lübzer, the two former DDR beers that I had during the G8 demo. I particularly remember Rostocker for being very nice and hoppy. It certainly beats common German imports here, like Beck's, Warsteiner, Veltins, etc., which simply aren't much different from the regular Dutch offerings (Heineken, Bavaria, and so on).
Soviet cogitations: 3508
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Jun 2005, 23:39
Politburo
Post 07 Aug 2007, 01:53
http://youtube.com/watch?v=foOI162Lock

I assume everyone has seen the new Stoly ad. Man this ad is cool...they really nailed the style.

'Soviet-Empire. 500% more methods than other leading brands.'
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.