Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Western entertainment in USSR

Soviet cogitations: 366
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Dec 2005, 23:28
Komsomol
Post 27 Feb 2007, 00:19
I also remember there was something similar to a talk-show where a hall of american youths and a hall of russian youths was directly communicating through television...
This is where the famous joke about there being no sex in Russia came from; the questions drifted onto this kind of subject, and some girl on the russian side, when asked something, said: "in our country, there is no sex" - this phrase became very famous after that.
Soviet cogitations: 4491
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 27 Feb 2007, 01:25
I remember in the late 1980s and early 1990s on TV several Western shows, including Ducktails, Chip & Dale, and Captain Power (the last of which we would always talk about as kids in the schoolyard). A lot of Western movies were shown in the USSR in one form or another -either officially sanctioned or smuggled in -this became a lot easier with the availability of the video cassette. A friend of my parents in an upstairs apartment had a huge collection of bootlegged movies, including (from what I remember) Star Wars, Total Recall, and James Bond. Most officially sanctioned Western films were those that contained no anti-Soviet content or depicted negative aspects of capitalism. These were shown in theatres, and occassionally on tv.
Soviet cogitations: 3314
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Jan 2007, 06:03
Party Bureaucrat
Post 27 Feb 2007, 11:03
Quote:
And importing how many megatonnes of water isn't?

Notice the "still" in my quote. You're essentially suggesting a cheaper form of obtaining water which is still pretty expensive.
Resident Soviet
Post 27 Feb 2007, 11:17
Could you guys move your argument about Australian self-sufficiency in water availability to another topic? It's just absolutely unrelated to the topic at hand
-Thanks
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 3314
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Jan 2007, 06:03
Party Bureaucrat
Post 27 Feb 2007, 11:23
No problem.

Did anyone get in trouble if they were caught with bootlegged movies?
Soviet cogitations: 15
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Feb 2007, 18:15
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 01 Mar 2007, 06:03
I hardly get to see any Soviet movies here in India
I rarely get to see one in the Russian embassy here during say some film festival. I ran into a Soviet movie in a video shop here by the name "Moom Rainbow". Its based on some book by E. Pavlov. Nice movie....
India, Arise ye mighty land
for you are not independent yet,
for you shall be truly independent when the last capitalist has been thrown out......
Resident Soviet
Post 01 Mar 2007, 07:55
Quote:
Did anyone get in trouble if they were caught with bootlegged movies?

If they were found importing them or duplicating on a mass scale certainly, but to find the individuals, and having the need to go into their apartments in the first place meant the people in question usually had some other problems with the government beyond possession of foreign cultural media.

Hey Indo-Soviet: The people of the USSR had a great awareness and respect for the Indian film-making industry. European Soviets probably had a better knowledge of Indian filmmaking than any other European or Western country. Indian movies and television shows were also mostly 'officially sanctioned' by the state so they were available in large volume.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 15
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Feb 2007, 18:15
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 04 Mar 2007, 08:13
But the sad thing Soviet78 is that we Indians never did get an opportunity to enjoy the best things the Soviet film or tv industry had to offer
I grew up watching Tom and Jerry not Chebrushka
.. worse the local Russian embassy in a bid to attract more audiences has started playing local Indian movies instead of Soviet classics, what is really depressing is that I keep getting the feeling I will never be able to enjoy these things ever

But the Soviet in me wont give up...one day I will definitely visit Moscow and purchase my heartful of Soviet movies and documentaries....
India, Arise ye mighty land
for you are not independent yet,
for you shall be truly independent when the last capitalist has been thrown out......
Soviet cogitations: 1103
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Jul 2006, 10:21
Party Member
Post 04 Mar 2007, 14:20
Quote:
I grew up watching Tom and Jerry not Chebrushka

You didn't catch Buratino dubbed
?

IF you lived in Delhi, and you attended a central government school, you got loads of multimedia every year for free, from the USSR. Vids were pretty rare- but we got LOADS of action flick books (flip the pages really fast and an animation shows up), board games, etc. I got a vid when I graduated 5th grade, it was a piece on Soviet Air power.

And besides, if you were around in the late 70s, you saw a show "Baaz"- which was a translated & locally reproduced show on the MiG. The Soviet circus also got televised on our main channel (there was only one back in the day). And irregularly, there was a show on automobiles- which covered exotic cars such as the Zil, the Melkaus (DDR make) etc.

On independence day functions in school, if you were lucky, you got a bunch of DIY hobby development videos from the USSR. Usually it came in a box w/ a handle and had 10-15 vids. Like how to make a greenhouse, how to craft a shoe, how to tan leather, etc. You had school competitions in independence day, and the winner usually got one of those.

But- Soviet circus was simply amaizing man. They used to visit pretty regularly and our TV channel always had live coverage.

Oh yea, having said that, I grew up watching krishi darshn
when we hand only one channel. HA ha ha, remember Dara Singh Vs. King Kong wrestling matches???
Soviet cogitations: 382
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Apr 2008, 07:53
Unperson
Post 30 Apr 2008, 07:51
Quote:
Water shortages?

Only Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria are having water shortages.
Soviet cogitations: 200
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Apr 2005, 19:00
Pioneer
Post 02 May 2008, 11:56
Resident Soviet
Post 02 May 2008, 18:26
Quote:
Finally - very funny conclusion of soviet ads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbrnFPCUCHs&feature=related

Soviet cogitations: 36
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Sep 2010, 15:08
Pioneer
Post 08 Sep 2010, 13:19
Sadly the TV ad's are now inaccessible, Harry Egipt has turned capitalist?
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.