Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Apartments in the USSR

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 301
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Jul 2004, 20:17
Komsomol
Post 31 Jul 2004, 02:01
How large were appartments in the USSR? Did higher ranking party members get to live in larger appartments? Were most appartments of the same size?
“This is not what we fought for (Poverty). We dreamt of how rich life would be after the war” - Nikolai Protasov, Great Patriotic War Veteran
Soviet cogitations: 292
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 13 Jul 2004, 05:36
Komsomol
Post 02 Aug 2004, 04:14
Apartments were of differnet sizes. The size of the apartment you recieved depended on how many people were in your family. Very good system.
Soviet cogitations: 107
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Jun 2004, 00:08
Pioneer
Post 02 Aug 2004, 04:48
and also your education, and importance to the Country

Janitor: Small

Red Army Officer: Big
Communism will rule the World!!!
God is just a fairy tale!
Komsomol
Post 02 Aug 2004, 18:53
My grandfather was a colonel so we recieved a nice 3 room apartemnt with a huge hallway, big kitchen, and two giant balconies. We put glass on the balconies and they basically turned into two more rooms so you can say we had 5 rooms. It got a little cold on the balconies in the winter but in the sumer we would open the windows and have a meal with a great view from the 7th floor
Soviet cogitations: 544
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jun 2004, 00:08
Komsomol
Post 02 Aug 2004, 22:48
could you ever be kicked out of your apartemnt for like being to loud, or something like that ?
Komsomol
Post 03 Aug 2004, 01:13
No its your apartment.
Soviet cogitations: 1445
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Mar 2003, 19:17
Unperson
Post 06 Sep 2004, 03:46
Quote:
could you ever be kicked out of your apartemnt for like being to loud, or something like that ?

No, but you can be imprisoned for 15 days for "hooliganism".
Soviet cogitations: 60
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Sep 2004, 02:56
Pioneer
Post 06 Sep 2004, 04:36
Nevsky21 wrote:
Apartments were of differnet sizes. The size of the apartment you recieved depended on how many people were in your family. Very good system.

Yeah, fabulous system. A family of five in a three room (not bedroom, three ROOM) apartment! Good stuff.

Reminds me of the projects. Except the projects had to follow actual building and fire codes, so in a way, the projects are better.
Pioneer
Post 06 Sep 2004, 04:37
Nevsky21 wrote:
No its your apartment.

Actually, it was the state's apartment. The government owned every building, and every square inch of land in the Soviet Union.
Pioneer
Post 06 Sep 2004, 04:39
Nevsky21 wrote:
My grandfather was a colonel so we recieved a nice 3 room apartemnt with a huge hallway, big kitchen, and two giant balconies. We put glass on the balconies and they basically turned into two more rooms so you can say we had 5 rooms. It got a little cold on the balconies in the winter but in the sumer we would open the windows and have a meal with a great view from the 7th floor

Wow, how luxurious! I live by myself in a three bedroom, 2000 sq ft house. All the extra space is stifiling.
Soviet cogitations: 2
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Apr 2004, 07:13
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 06 Sep 2004, 07:22
Ill bet it is.... soviet apartments were organized so there was no "wasted space" and that everyone was accomadated... and er... no one ever said that there were 5 ppl living in a 3 room apartment
The Dream of a people, their fortress secure....
Unperson
Post 06 Sep 2004, 11:19

Don't believe Brezhnev! Don't listen to him!

He is American, he doesn't know anything about USSR!

He is enemy agent here!

I live in typical Stalin/Khruschev-era Soviet flat, three huge living rooms, two bathrooms, big kitchen, entrance hall, and corridor to access this stuff.

Quote:
I live by myself in a three bedroom, 2000 sq ft house

Try to build this house in Russia, and you will die in September, when Summer will end, and it will be really cold.

American houses are just big construction from plywood. Let me guess: you have SINGLE-GLASS window structure, am I correct?

Soviet workers also had these structures, they were called "dachas", but they are only good for summer vacation.

I also have typical Soviet dacha, one is very big (don't know how big it is in square feet measurements, however): three floors, two kitchen, two bathroom, big hall and dinning room, two living rooms on first floor, four living rooms on second floor, and one on third.

I also have second typical Soviet dacha, which is smaller, only two floors.

But this stuff can only be used at summer, "thanks" to cold climate.

So, ignoring the climate issue, typical Soviet worker was living in MUCH more luxirious conditions, than you, Brezhnev.
Soviet cogitations: 544
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jun 2004, 00:08
Komsomol
Post 06 Sep 2004, 12:01
Where there an houses in the Soviet Union ? Like "House" you would see in America ?
Unperson
Post 06 Sep 2004, 13:03
=SoViEt= wrote:
Where there an houses in the Soviet Union ? Like "House" you would see in America ?

Single-family houses you mean?

Yes, but as constant living places - only in very southern regions on Russia: Middle Asia, Caucasus, stuff like that.

I doubt you will ever want to live in single-family house without centralized heating around in permafrost territory (more than 50% of USSR territory was located in permafrost area).

Single-family houses, or Dachas, existed even in cold regions, but were used only for summer vacations, and had much more advanced and costly heating systems, than American housing.

Don't forget, that climate of Northern border of USA is almost the same as climate of SOUTHERN border of Russia.

So, Soviet citizen usually had two houses: one flat in the city for living and working, and dacha for summer vacations.

It was different in extreme southern regions of Russia, when you can see big single-family houses, even maybe too big, like 6-floor house for single family I lived in when I was young (each member of family had one floor).
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 10
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Dec 2005, 14:49
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 27 Dec 2005, 10:54
last time i was in russia before i got divorced we stayed in my ex wife's parents apartment...2 bedroom apartment, one sitting room and one dining room...i remember there were 3 buttons u have to press at once to get in the building..no elevator,healthy but a bit tough when u have luggage...then we went to see her relatives -a judge and his wife- they lived in a bigger apartment(remote) european style with elevators...rent off course was a bit higher...hotels outside of moscow were not that nice and the funny thing that the foreigner pays more than the local for a room...i was in Ivanovo the city of brides:)
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9174
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 27 Dec 2005, 16:20
The three button thing has not existed in the USSR, it was installed by house commitees to stop vagrants and hooliganism of the new CIS. The building with elevators that you are talking about is I'm guessing a building built during Stalin's time. We have 3 such apartment buildings where I live. Most buildings in Saint Petersburg that were built before the 20th century had elevators installed during one of the 5 year plans.

About countryside homes. These homes were built in villages that were planned as cities. I lived in an actual home instead of a dacha in Russia, although my grandfather had received a dacha during the early 90's. The planned houses were "duplex" to save space and heat

planning where I lived:

note: my drawing is prety disproportionate. all houses were equal size, and private land was about 1.6 times larger.

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 200
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Apr 2005, 19:00
Pioneer
Post 27 Dec 2005, 22:44
It wasn't so simple to have a flat in USSR. There were different ways to have a home:
1) State owned houses - most common way. There were long queues to wait for free flat which were delivered via local authorities (mestnije ispolnitelnie kommiteti) of cities or regions. Or via local trade unions' offices of factories or other establishments. Or via commitees of communist party. People waited (tens of) years to have it.
2) Houses owned by Housing Cooperatives - organized by workers' collectives of different factories (institutes, schools etc, etc) - financed by members of Housing cooperatives e.g. future habitants of dwellings. Very expensive way.
3) Houses owned by kolkhozes and sovhozes (rural areas) - for workers of kolkhozes and sovhozes financed by those establishments.
4) Houses owned by Army - for military staff.
5) Private houses - owned and financed by private persons. These were mostly one-family-houses. Very-very expensive and time-consuming way, hard to obtain building materials and hard to have a land (a housing plot).
6) And of course there was existing a way to rent a flat from private persons who were renting their flats (in cooperative owned flats). Half-legal was to rent a flat from people having state-owned flats. Actually it was quite common way too as there was great shortage of living places in USSR. People who were renting their (but state owned) flats were managed to have other living place for themselves so they were able to rent one.
7) Lot of people were living in dormitories of factories - usually one family in one room. Kitchen and toilets on corridors.
8 ) Lot of people were living in so-called common flats - for instance in 3 room flat one person (or family) each in one room, dealing with common kitchen, entrance and toilet.
There was some standards for minimal living space for one person - as I remeber it was some 9 sq-m per person in 1980-ies in USSR. So if young people started to live together and they got children, usually they started to live with their pearents' home - and with baby in a family they exeeded this standard - so they were right to apply e new flat - look pnt no 1. They were put to the queue. And of course there were lot of equal people waiting in this queue and some of them could prove they are "more equal" to have a flat in first place like trade union or Communist Party dudes. They got a free flat in outside of queue. If regular people got a flat in big prefabricated concrete block houses, most usually built in suburban areas, so Communist party "dudes" got a flat in custom-built houses erected in central parts of towns and places.
For common people (not party "dudes") average flat spaces in new concret block houses - 2 room flat (1 sleeping rm, 1 living rm, kitchen, entrance toilet, bathroom/separate) 40 - 45 (48 max) sqm. 3 room flat (same logical stucture as 2-rm flat) - 50-55 sqm.
I've got a quite long story, but hope, it'll give some general view about this substance.
Soviet cogitations: 366
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Dec 2005, 23:28
Komsomol
Post 06 Jan 2006, 12:59
When it is said that an apartment is a 3-room, it means there are three bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom and a toilet. When I was a child, there were 5 of us leaving in our three-room apartment: my mother, my grandmother, my great-grandmother, my uncle and me. My uncle always had his own room, I shared the biggest bedroom with my grandmother, and my mother shared a room with my great-grand mother. It was fine, no one minded and we all were happy.
Now, I live in the same flat, but my mother is married again and moved, my great-grandmother is deceased, and I am married. So, I share a room with my wife, and my grandmother and uncle have their own rooms. When my wife and I have children, they will share a room with my grandmother. So, we all fit perfectly into our apartment.
Our apartment is in a 5-floor house built in Stalin's times, it has no lift (which is fine, as there are only 5 floors), there are 3 sections (podyezds), and 4 apartments on each floor.
We never had a dacha, and I don't want one.
Most families live like this, and no one has a problem. I am surprised if anyone would say this is 'low quality of life'.
Soviet cogitations: 94
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Dec 2005, 01:01
Pioneer
Post 06 Jan 2006, 15:36
Doesn't sound terrible. When I was a little younger I had 4 living in a 3 bedroom house. That'd be kind of weird sharing a room with your damn grandma though.

We jack you up
Shake you down
Take you on down to chinatown
Light it up
Hit the ground
Just another day in chinatown

www.notoriousmsg.com
Soviet cogitations: 254
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 05 Jun 2005, 10:51
Komsomol
Post 07 Jan 2006, 08:29
Svarog wrote:
Most families live like this, and no one has a problem. I am surprised if anyone would say this is 'low quality of life'.

Doesn't sound bad to me. Anyone who lives in an expensive urban city can identify with this (weather they live like it or not). People who live in more suburban and rual areas probably might not see this as nice, though I prefer urban living myself and the more walk friendly environment.
"There are forty-nine states in the Union, and the Soviet of Washington"

"All Power to the Soviets!"
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.