Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Can religion coexist with a communist state?

Can religion coexist with a communist state?

Yes
88%
No
6%
Neutral
6%

Total votes : 17
Soviet cogitations: 9
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 04 Mar 2018, 23:37
Ideology: Social Democracy
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 05 Mar 2018, 03:20
I think religion can indeed coexist with Communist thought. The fact that there was conflict etween the two in the early to mid-20th Century is due more to the reactionary attitudes of religion, and the overly radical views of the Revolutionaries. What I mean is that men like Marx and Lenin wanted to change the world, and sometimes wanted to change things almost too much. Reigning in religion: good. Destroying it: bad. I am in favour of taxing religion at reasonable rates, the same as any business, which religion is. 60% is ridiculously high in my view. Just treat it like a business.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 71
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Jun 2016, 08:12
Pioneer
Post 10 Jun 2018, 21:43
I have to update my reply on this issue, as I learned that Marx believed that religion was a collective delusion whose function was to numb the masses into acceptance of their place in a class-based society. Therefore, I now believe that Marxism and religion are not compatible, though if there are other forms of communism besides Marxism, compatibility would depend upon the character of that communist ideology. It is clear that due to man's nature science alone cannot sustain a population: some emotional and imaginative element must be present in the culture for the population to endure.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.