Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Do you support Bachar al-Assad (3)

Do you support Bachar al-Assad?

Yes
68%
No
14%
Other
18%

Total votes : 28
Soviet cogitations: 3799
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2006, 02:14
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Politburo
Post 30 Mar 2016, 00:54
Yeah... I'd start by creating a proletarian class. Syria will have to rebuild all of its infrastructure, and move outside the oil-exporting field in order to create the conditions for a successful proletarian revolution.

And that will take ages.

"Where Argentina goes, Latin America will go".
Leonid Brezhnev

Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 2293
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Aug 2010, 14:21
Party Bureaucrat
Post 31 Mar 2016, 23:55
Bunker is still right: Bachar and his Ba'arth are no friends. They are greatly responsible for the current situation. I'm not saying like the capitalist pigs that he is responsible because he repressed too much, but because he introduced liberal capitalist policies in Syria during the 2000s which caused an increased mistrust from the countryside. Whether the Communists should struggle for an immediate overthrow of Bachar after the war, we cannot tell. But at some point a confrontation with the Ba'ath will be necessary, just like the French Communist Party had to struggle against De Gaulle after WWII.

"Fishing is part of agriculture" Gred
"Loz, you are like me" Yami
"I am one of the better read Marxists on this site" Gred
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 01 Apr 2016, 00:59
OP-Bagration wrote:
I'm not saying like the capitalist pigs that he is responsible because he repressed too much, but because he introduced liberal capitalist policies in Syria during the 2000s

Which amounts to the same thing, doesn't it? If he does survive, it will be on the sufferance of the Russians and Chinese in the wake of some deal made with the West. As soon as he receives the new rules laid down for him from above, he'll act as a a stop gap to prevent further Daesh infiltration. But even that isn't an invitation for him to sleep easy. Sooner or later, he's headed the way of Gaddafi, and he knows it.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1277
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Sep 2011, 13:51
Party Member
Post 01 Apr 2016, 12:08
Edited by Che B.

On a serious note though, I'd like to say that what Russia has done in helping to liberate Palmyra and subsequently clearing the area of land mines has been of great service to the legacy of human civilization, to which it has not received an ounce of recognition merited for such a deed from the international community; as opposed to the western backed coalition who've been able to only help strengthen the Islamic State since the start of their bombing campaign.

My laws shall act more pleasure than command,
And with my prick I'll govern all the land.
Soviet cogitations: 1078
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Sep 2013, 03:08
Ideology: Trotskyism
Party Member
Post 01 Apr 2016, 22:25
Tactically, yes.

We do have to recognize that Bashar's regime has represented market liberalization, and there has been a consistent record of repression against the left under him.

However, either wing of Islamist (ISIS or "moderate Islamists") would be demonstrably worse for the left, human rights, whatever consideration you can bring up. Western-style liberals would have no grassroots constituency other than moderate Islamists as well, and regardless they would represent abject misery for the poor in Syria.

So, for the foreseeable future, Assad's regime is the best bulwark against imperialism and exploitation there.
Philosophized
Post 02 Apr 2016, 03:13
But we all realize that there is no safe retirement policy for Middle Eastern tyrants. Sooner or later, either Putin or (American President post-Obama) will find a new candidate to back, and the gamesmanship will begin all over again.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 238
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 Jun 2011, 15:14
Pioneer
Post 20 Apr 2016, 01:45
I give a qualified yes . As long as Assad follows through with his agreement to hold elections , I will be supportive of his government http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-04/syria-s-assad-accepts-early-parliamentary-elections-putin-says. However , I still favor all the more so the National Coordination Committee for Democratic Change http://carnegie-mec.org/publications/?fa=48369 , which includes the Communist Labor Party .
Soviet cogitations: 3
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Apr 2016, 22:00
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 20 Apr 2016, 22:27
i dont support him, but i dont support his opposition either. both sides are bad in my mind
Soviet cogitations: 14444
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Philosophized
Post 21 Apr 2016, 05:52
Assad is simply the best choice on the field (and by choice I mean realistic option). All the other forces are either jokes with no chance of fighting islamist rats or they are islamist rats.
[+-]
Party Member
Post 26 Apr 2016, 13:03
Here's something I wrote a while back in Cafe Mir; yet I think still resonates true today:

If you were to look at what the Syrian Arab Army and Hezbollah are doing to rid the world from extremism, than you can easily be appreciative of the sacrifices that the Arabs are undergoing. Intelligence services from every country are having their jobs done for them by allowing extremists to flock out of their countries and into the Levant so that Arabs can bear the brunt of the international war against terror. Intelligence services know full well that there are recruitment cells in their own countries and yet are standing idly by, because they're thinking better the extremists leave our country and die in some far-off land, instead of us arresting and prosecuting them here in our own countries. The crap of the western world is being dumped onto the levant, and it is the Arabs themselves who are the true victims in the war against fundamentalism. Countries like Russia, U.S.A., U.K., Canada, Australia etc. are having their populations swept clean of extremists simply by letting them go to war in the Levant never to return. Today the levant is the front line in the war against terror, with Bashar and Nasrallah doing service to humanity worthy of statues in their honor being erected in western cities, because for every extremist that they kill is potentially another western civilian life saved. If we look at the most recent videos of beheadings in the Levant, you'll notice that the perpetrators quite often speak English with western accents. There are between 10,000 to 15,000 western fighters who don't even speak Arabic in the Levant right now. Maybe it's about time the western world that prides itself on their civilized way of life asked themselves why is it that so many of their children have turned into fundamentalist whack jobs.

-Wed Oct 01, 2014

[+-]
Party Member
Post 30 Aug 2016, 23:24
Here's a short clip wherby Dr. Norman Finkelstein describes his admiration for Sayyid Nasrallah's speeches. Incidentally it is in a longer video of this speech where I first hear Dr. Finkelstein ever calling himself an old fashioned communist. Good to know.

...and here's a short clip of Sayyid Nasrallah passionately condemning the recent terrorist attacks in Europe and by which he firmly places the responsibility of these crimes on the House of Saud.

Soviet cogitations: 2507
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 May 2004, 21:17
Party Bureaucrat
Post 31 Aug 2016, 16:44
I'm no fan of Assad, but this war wouldn't be raging if the West (*coughcoughthanksObamacoughcough*) didn't decide to relocate all of the Iraq war funding to backing "rebels" in Syria that somehow have links to the terrorist groups we were supposedly fighting elsewhere but I won't get into that right now.

Since the war is being fought with nothing but arms and money from superpowers on both sides, there's no public perception of involvement in the war and thus no reason for either government to pull out from backing or opposing Syria. Human lives be damned, this proxy stalemate could last as long as the capital exists to support it.
Soviet cogitations: 7
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Sep 2016, 21:05
Ideology: Other
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 30 Sep 2016, 16:30
Despite media lies, majority of syrians support assad (source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... propaganda) They try to paint a picture like syrians are working hard to overthrow their "evil" dictator, however noting is further from the truth. Most Syrians love assad
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 71
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Jun 2016, 08:12
Pioneer
Post 15 Oct 2016, 17:23
If you like watching civil wars you'd never want this conflict to end even if it meant turning all of Syria into rubble, and then bombing the rubble into ever finer rubble. But this has to end and I support the Assad regime because that is the least evil option.
[+-]
Party Member
Post 22 Oct 2016, 12:14

Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 22 Oct 2016, 20:08
Thanks man, interesting stuff. Jesus, what more do these Western imperialists want? What sense is there replacing the secular, culturally Westernized Assads with jihadists who will repress or kill everyone and then export their barbarism abroad? It's a rhetorical question; the answers are many, and they are obvious, but amoral as frag.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Philosophized
Post 22 Oct 2016, 20:50
What the West wants is a secular leader who implements the semblance of free speech/expression in order to keep the population pacified while business is conducted on a 90/10 basis with Western corporations, to the exclusion of ever doing business with Russian or Chinese corporations. Until that state of affairs is achieved, the upheaval will continue.
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 22 Oct 2016, 23:15
Doesn't look that way to me man. All evidence on the ground (and at the UN recently, for that matter) shows the US would rather have chaos and/or radical Islamism than secular nationalism. And what semblance of free speech are you talking about? The kind they have over in Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Gulf States?

There was a time in the 70s and 80s when the Soviets were on the right side of history - the moral side, if there is such a thing, in fighting for the end of Apartheid in South Africa. Sure some US pop stars, public figures and Briggs and Murtaugh piled on to that scene in the late 80s, but not before their respective politicians had embarrassed themselves and their country by backing the White regime against the godless commies. Now Russia is no USSR, not by a long shot, but this is another case where for one reason or another, Moscow is on the right side - on the good side, and the US and its allies are on the wrong side, the indefensibly evil one. I just sincerely hope that whatever's brewing in the Middle East today doesn't come back one day and kill some more innocent American firefighters, office workers and police for the sins of their politicians.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Philosophized
Post 23 Oct 2016, 01:00
Soviet78 wrote:
All evidence on the ground (and at the UN recently, for that matter) shows the US would rather have chaos and/or radical Islamism than secular nationalism.

I don't think anyone would really prefer such a state of affairs. I'd be lying if I said that President Hillary will really achieve much in the way of bringing a peaceful resolution to the many conflicts in the region. Unlike Jimmy Carter, she won't be willing to risk her party credibility, reputation, or chances at reelection to really do something valuable like signing a major peace accord. On the other hand, barring very special circumstances, she's far less likely to rush in, guns blazing, kicking ass and taking names a la Two Gun Trump.
[+-]
Party Member
Post 23 Oct 2016, 17:29
Regarding some of the talks about imposing a no fly zone in Syria, I'd just like to say that in this case only Russia and Syria can unequivocally dictate the terms as to who controls the skies over Syria. This short video really seals the deal for me at least. The senator's reaction is absolutely priceless.

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.