Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

The Decline of Russia

Russian economic recovery in the next 5 years

Very likely
24%
Maybe
35%
Probably not
29%
Russia is doomed
12%

Total votes : 17
Soviet cogitations: 25
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Apr 2014, 19:04
Pioneer
Post 23 May 2016, 12:32
Yes, Russian people who have experience the ‘wonderful times’ of a leader & gov following western advice and lauded for that will naturally support and trust more a leader who is criticized by the West.

Of course a caricature of Putin is the perfect boogey man for the West ranging from homosexual lifestyle advocates to top military commanders and defense contractors standing in their shadow.

My point however was that as far as the sanctions go they were unpleasant but by far not as much as the West expected that would be the case, in addition they even had some positive side effects (see my previous post). Much more damage was done by the attack on the Ruble and oil market rigging to bring the price down.

In view of the above – and that was my second point – I am somehow disappointed that impetus given to certain actions by the above outlined problems, i.e. the sanctions etc., was not used for a number of economic and financial measures making Russia more independent from the West.
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 23 May 2016, 18:29
"Homosexual lifestyle advocates" is a straw man argument, no matter who uses it.

The fact of the matter is that, if homosexuals had not been singled out for persecution in the so-called Holy Book, we would never think for two seconds about them. Any crimes they committed would be treated the same as when a straight person commits them.

As for the money being used to shore up Russia's defenses, a significant amount of that money is going to exactly the same place it goes in the West: Into the pockets of the leadership, their cronies in the military industrial complex, and their affiliated oligarchs.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 25
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Apr 2014, 19:04
Pioneer
Post 24 May 2016, 12:40
Before a meaningful reply to your post can be written several points have to be made:

You seem to be one hack of an angry man.

That is however not the most important thing – what matters is, that, no offence, but you apparently did not read my post just skimmed over it at best.

For this reason a requests: please READ my posts before replying to them.

Why do I think that you did not read my post – for a simple reason, namely that you accuse me of using the ‘homo’ argument while I did not use it. Had you read what I wrote you would have seen that I used the ‘Putin bogeyman’ argument which is utilized in the West to scare everybody ranging from homos to military (equally any others could have been used from liberal artists to mainstream media jurnos). Yet instead of reading what I wrote you just noticed the words ‘homosexual lifestyle advocates’ and replied that I am using them as an argument, – that is a cliché you, as most Westerners have – while, let me repeat it, I did not use it as an argument.

Moving on – it is true that defense contracts in Russia are subject to corruption and embezzlement, yet I see it as something besides the point, at least the point I was making. For what I intended to underscore in my previous post was, that Russia is used today a bogeyman to justify Western defense contractors lining their pockets with taxpayers' money.

Finally when I was writing about measures to be undertaken I had something completely different on my mind. True however, I did not elaborate on it and hardly anybody can be expected to have mindreading abilities. Namely what I thought about was for example moving much more production to Russia (BTW the Soviet Union when it underwent industrialization had no qualms about buying entire factories from the West). In fact some of this is being done, some Western firms are setting up production plants in Russia to circumvent the sanctions, but it is not even close to what can and should be done. There are a number of other things, including the handling of banking and international transaction, that should be tackled by Russia, but I can not elaborate now, because I have to finish for now.

Once again, no offence, but please READ with COMPREHENSION before responding.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.