Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Best time of the USSR

USSR(during the lenin era)
10%
USSR(during the Stalin era)
26%
USSR(during the Khrushchev era)
23%
USSR(during the Bhreznev,Andropov,Chernenko era)
42%
USSR(during the Gorbachev era)
No votes

Total votes : 31
JAM
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 172
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Mar 2012, 02:37
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 13 Mar 2012, 02:59
I'm quiet surprised with the results. I expected to see Stalin's era in first place and Khrushchev's era in second since i believe that USSR reached its peak in 50's and early 60's. During this period USSR developed the nuclear bomb, sent a man to space, established itself as a world superpower, its territory was larger than ever before, the sphere of influence was a consolidated reality, the relations with China were still good, Communism was more popular than ever in the West and the third world was starting to emancipate itself from the european colonialism through the marxists theories. I also think that this period corresponds to the time in which the USA more feared the USSR during the entire Cold War.
"If I could control Hollywood, I could control the world." -Joseph Stalin
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 13 Mar 2012, 03:16
I'm not surprised that Gorby got 0 votes, but that Lenin got 0 also is slightly interesting.
Surely there are still a few idealistic types amongst us.
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 13 Mar 2012, 03:18
Lenin's time: war,famine,disease and so on.
Perhaps only 1923 and 1924 was a normal year,all the rest were horrible.
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 13 Mar 2012, 03:44
I imagine we all support but Lenin but a wartorn, typhus infested ruin isn't good times. Just being practical
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 15 Mar 2012, 01:55
All I meant is that there were some terrible hardships during the Stalin era too, but that hasn't discouraged people from picking that period.
JAM
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 172
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 09 Mar 2012, 02:37
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Pioneer
Post 15 Mar 2012, 02:42
Shigalyov wrote:
All I meant is that there were some terrible hardships during the Stalin era too, but that hasn't discouraged people from picking that period.

It depends on the criteria of each one. Best time seems to me very vague. I've chosen Stalin because it was the period in which the USSR and the modern Russia were molded, the economic growth was unparalleled in world history and the soviets won a world war against the nazis. All of this combine with the explosive rise of the literacy in Russia, the emergence of social services and free healthcare, the equalization of genders, technological superiority, better living conditions, among other things, turns this period the most important of USSR's history. Of course, the standard of living kept rising until the fall of the Soviet Union and the material conditions were much better in the 70's than the 50's, but it's just a normal evolution of the economic development. Certainly, we couldn't expect the material conditions in USA in the 50's to be better than in the 70's for instance.
"If I could control Hollywood, I could control the world." -Joseph Stalin
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.