Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

War With Iran On Horizon?

Are You Considering The Threat Of War With Iran?

Yes
71%
No
16%
Other
13%

Total votes : 31
Soviet cogitations: 2408
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Ideology: Other
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Dec 2011, 15:14
The recent storming of the British embassy in Tehran and the UK's response have made me consider the possibilty that there will be a war with Iran. At first I had thought that this would not be possible but taking into account the fact that Israel is ruled by a mad man and Britain is run by an idiot it is beginning to worry me that the Israelis might try and hit the Iranian nuclear weapons facilities and provoke a war. The PM of Britain demonstrated his complete lack of common sense and naivity when he chose to intervene in Libya, this despite the fact that his country is in severe debt and in complete contradiction to his 'austerity' schemes and cuts. I doubt it is beyond him to join in a potential Israel-Iran conflict as this would allow him to mark his name in the history books. Iraq was Blair's was, the Falkland Islands were Thatcher's, no doubt he wants his own put his name to. What the United States would do in such a case, I am not sure. Part of me is not confident the US would intervene but one never knows what they would do. Pakistan would probably support Iran and China and Russia are also something to consider. Ill say this much, the politicians in this game will not worry about how many die, providing they can achieve their objectives. Netanyahu is completely bat mad insane and will do anything to realise his Eretz Israel dreams. We are dealing with extreme people in the Israeli government and military apparatus, some of whom have said they will attack Europe with nuclear weapons if Israel goes down the drain.
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 05 Dec 2011, 15:21
I think that a war is indeed looming.It will most likely,IMO, start with Israeli and other commandoes taking out the nuclear facilities then followed by massive air-bombing campaigns against military and civilian infrastructure (although without a full-scale land invasion,Iran is simply too tough a nut to crack for NATO in such a way).Then the Iranian "internal opposition" may come into play too...starting a civil war a la Lybia.
Soviet cogitations: 10005
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jul 2008, 20:01
Ideology: Trotskyism
Philosophized
Post 05 Dec 2011, 15:25
Quote:
It will most likely,IMO, start with Israeli and other commandoes taking out the nuclear facilities

That's already happening
"Don't know why i'm still surprised with this shit anyway." - Loz
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 05 Dec 2011, 15:27
You're right,yes...
It seems that they've taken out several facilities...
Well,we have to wait and see.I don't think NATO will start a full-on air-war on Iran before Assad is finished in Syria though...
Soviet cogitations: 2408
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Dec 2011, 15:36
One thing I do know is that if Iran is attacked Europe will feel it, not like they did with Iraq and Afghanistan. Some ignorant people think Iran is some sort of backward military power with third grade technology. In reality they are serious business on par with the UK as a military power. The people will also fight well. If they call me up to fight in conscription they can get stuffed because I will not have them write on my grave, 'he died fighting for Zionism'.

Edit: I searched Youtube for some commentary on the subject and found this. It articulated exactly what I wrote here, by George Galloway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av0Dw2t9znc&feature=related

People who are so enthusiastic about a 'strike' on Iran very often seem to me to live in a dream world and thnk in Star Wars like absolutes of the 'good guys' and 'bad guys' Very childish and dangerous thinking. Geo-politics means that countries need not always be in perpetual states of war if their interests do not conflict.

Also, this is the Iran armed forces. They are no Iraq or Afghanistan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGAjJ8ZF2oY&feature=related
Soviet cogitations: 291
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2011, 06:40
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 16:41
That, and I'd also point out that three Iranian reactors have blown (Re: Stuxxnet?), an American drone was shot down over Iran, and tensions are running high with Israel. I'd say you are very much correct... Only question is when?
Philosophized
Post 05 Dec 2011, 16:59
I wonder how the US economy will cope with yet another war.

Europe has become too weak to back them up, too. That worked for Libya, but it's not going to work again, especially not when you're up against Iran.
Soviet cogitations: 10771
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Dec 2004, 23:53
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Philosophized
Post 05 Dec 2011, 18:53
Loz wrote:
I don't think NATO will start a full-on air-war on Iran before Assad is finished in Syria though...

The serious dilemmas NATO's imperialism face..

Mabool wrote:
I wonder how the US economy will cope with yet another war

The USA military industrial complex is designed so that the country always needs a country to bomb, people to occupy or (perhaps 'and' is a better choice) an imperial string of military bases to control. The bigger problem is how will the American people resond to yet another war.

Political Interest wrote:
Israel is ruled by a mad man and Britain is run by an idiot

NATO is the empire and Israel is their pitbull.

Since the Iranian Revolution, the imperialists have tried to restore Iran to a client state. In the past decade the attempts have increased to isolate Iran with the invasion of Afghanistan, Iraq and the US 5th Fleet. The big problem imperialism faces is that Iran would shut down the Straight of Hormuz and interfere with profits.

"By what standard of morality can the violence used by a slave to break his chains be considered the same as the violence of a slave master?" - Walter Rodney
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Oct 2011, 08:59
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 19:04
I am not considering it, but I am trying to watch what happens. If my number comes up, I will refuse. I served my time and I will not fight for Israel's "Right to eradicate Islam".
Philosophized
Post 05 Dec 2011, 19:23
Quote:
The USA military industrial complex is designed so that the country always needs a country to bomb, people to occupy or (perhaps 'and' is a better choice) an imperial string of military bases to control. The bigger problem is how will the American people resond to yet another war.

So you're saying the US economy is by design incompatible with peace? That sounds really interesting, tell me more.
Soviet cogitations: 3765
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Nov 2009, 07:13
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 06 Dec 2011, 03:11
I never understood what the Military Industrial Complex is exactly. Can somebody explain that?

Also re-poll: it will either start now or never, because Iran will have the bomb in 2013 and the US will rule out any invasion at that point in time, just like they did with the DPRK. Nuclear Deterrence FTW.
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 06 Dec 2011, 03:24
I doubt there will be a full scale war any time just yet.

Air-strikes and possible commando raids will probably be the way that this thing proceeds.
(The danger is that something like that could easily escalate of course.)

Political Interest wrote:
Netanyahu is completely bat mad insane and will do anything to realise his Eretz Israel dreams.
I'm not seeing any significant displays of sanity from the other side in this either.
Soviet cogitations: 1011
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Feb 2004, 06:15
Party Member
Post 06 Dec 2011, 04:06
I hope it doesn't come to full-scale aggression. But with the current economic climate, who knows. I did not think the Lybia war would turn out as it did, either.

I wonder: could the Middle East wars of the last few years act as a deterrent? It was nowhere near Iran's stature, and yet it took nearly six months for NATO to get their preferred side to win. Iraq and Afghanistan are still far from being solved ten years after the respective invasions. I don't think a war with Iran would turn any better. It's more likely that it'd fare far, far worse.
Back in white
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Philosophized
Post 06 Dec 2011, 04:24
proletarian wrote:
I never understood what the Military Industrial Complex is exactly. Can somebody explain that?

It's the systematic cooperation between the military and America's industrial base to maintain conditions where the military is not only constantly expanding and consuming massive amounts of products. In turn the MIC promotes hawkishness as a way to maintain the flow of resources. Basically it just means that the military is working with industry to both of their benefits.

proletarian wrote:
Nuclear Deterrence FTW.

The significant difference here is that the DPRK has missiles that can reach the US. Coupled with the eastern euro shield wall and Iranian nuclear capacity is effectively neutered for everyone but Israel. Nobody ever stops to think that the latter might use them either. For whatever reason I don't know.

@poll: it's a necessity for American imperialism to continue to expand. And if you're not growing you're dying.
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 06 Dec 2011, 04:31
Dagoth Ur wrote:
Nobody ever stops to think that the latter might use them either. For whatever reason I don't know.

What are you talking about? You guys never shut up on that particular subject.

If you're talking about off SE then I guess it's because you're hearing mainly from people from Western countries who feel more threatened by Iranian nukes than they do by Israeli ones.

Dagoth Ur wrote:
The significant difference here is that the DPRK has missiles that can reach the US. Coupled with the eastern euro shield wall and Iranian nuclear capacity is effectively neutered for everyone but Israel.
Does anyone know the range of the Israeli ones? Does it extend out of the Middle East?
Soviet cogitations: 291
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2011, 06:40
Komsomol
Post 06 Dec 2011, 04:53
DPRK could strike the West Coast. No one takes it seriously. Why? Well... How many nukes could DPRK have? They could hit us what, 3 times? 6 times maybe? Then it would be on like Donkey Kong. Oh, and that's *IF* they hit us. Remember the Star Wars tech we have from the 1980's?
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 06 Dec 2011, 05:20
To be fair, the Iraqi's showed that hitting things with missiles isn't as easy as its cracked up to be

The German's were ahead of the curve and they were only shooting across the channel, not across the pacific.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Soviet cogitations: 14448
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 10 Sep 2006, 22:05
Philosophized
Post 06 Dec 2011, 05:40
@shig: when it comes to Israel v Iran doublespeak comes into play for everyone who supports Israel. Iran is a dangerous enthno-nationalist theocracy who wants or already has nukes and must be dealt with. But then flip around and support the known terror-supporting, ethno-nationalist, wannabe theocracy (Israel if you didn't get the jist).
Soviet cogitations: 363
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Jan 2011, 08:20
Komsomol
Post 06 Dec 2011, 07:22
proletarian wrote:

I always understood it that companies design and make weaponry for the government/military to buy and threaten to sell it to other countries if they don't buy their product. So the U.S. keeps buying military equipment just so to "stay on top."
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 06 Dec 2011, 08:13
It's both simpler and more complex than that.

Basically military hardware is big money. As in, a massive amount of money.

So.. industry produces things for the military, private contractors are given contracts for various military related jobs, this employs people and sucks up a more or less infinite amount of money. The estimated total, including interest paid on past expenditures may be as much as a trillion dollars annually.

As this is both a load of money to a huge number of companies, as well as affecting employment in more or less every state in the country, there's an enormous amount of political push to maintain this status of perpetual military spending.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.