Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Interesting War Poster

Soviet cogitations: 291
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2011, 06:40
Komsomol
Post 07 Dec 2011, 17:10
It says: "FREEDOM" at the top, and at the bottom "Comrades-Democrats Ivan and Uncle Sam"

Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 07 Dec 2011, 17:30
What?

What exactly is this poster,who made it and when,in what year?
I'd say it's a Tzarist one from 1915 or so,judging by the font,or even some modern photoshop...
Komsomol
Post 07 Dec 2011, 17:36
No, I don't think it's a photoshop job... I don't think it's from Tsarist times either, because the word 'Товарищи' ('Comrades'). This wasn't really used in Tsarist times so much as Soviet times. My guess is that this was an American poster meant to be used in the USSR during the time in WWII that we were allies, or perhaps shortly after the war.

This could have been a Soviet poster too, actually. I know we gave TONS of material and equipment to the Soviets who basically had NOTHING at the beginning of the war. Studebaker sent a bunch of trucks over which were made into Katushas, we sent a bunch of steel over, and set up some manufacturing plants... There was a sense of unity among the workers of the USA and the soldiers of the USSR also. I've read that American workers, when about to ship tanks and heavy equipment over to the Russians, would hide provisions and letters to the soldiers inside. I read of one specific instance where American workers stocked American booze (I think whiskey?) and chocolate inside a tank that got shipped over.
Loz
[+-]
Philosophized
Post 07 Dec 2011, 17:47
I really don't know much about Russian letters,but you can see that nowadays "Uncle Sam" and "Ivan" are written without that last sign.
I think "Ъ" was removed in the language reform of year 1917-'18.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforms_of ... ion_reform

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D1% ... 1%8D%D0%BC
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD
Komsomol
Post 07 Dec 2011, 17:49
No, it still exists in some words, but it's very rare. It's a more common feature in Bulgarian language actually.

It doesn't change the meaning, just the sound. An English speaker probably wouldn't even detect the difference though. It took me a long time just to hear what sound change 'Ъ' makes to a word. They call it a hard sound, but it actually sounds like it softens the word to my ears.
Loz
[+-]
Philosophized
Post 07 Dec 2011, 18:00
It's a poster from the year 1917 after all:"Brotherly allies:America greets Russia".
Look,it's featured on the Russian Wiki-page about Uncle Sam (at the bottom) :

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D1% ... 1%8D%D0%BC
Soviet cogitations: 39
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Feb 2011, 00:02
Ideology: Trotskyism
Pioneer
Post 15 Jan 2012, 22:57
On the topic of the Russian language, Ya_Amerikanyets is correct, the hard sign is still in the Russian language, however it is rare. For example, the word meaning "entrance" (as to a building) is "подъезд," and is written with a hard sign. Loz is also correct that some letters were removed from the Russian language as the Bolsheviks decided to simplify the language, however I forget how many letters were removed. One of them looked like an English "i", and was used in the word "мир", which separated the word "peace" from "world" by replacing the и in peace (I believe), however after the language was changed the meaning (either peace or world) must be inferred from context. This also contributed to the American fear that the Soviets sought world domination as they had billboards that read "мы хотим мир", which was meant to say "We want peace," however it also could mean "We want the world." So to the translators working for the United States, they took it in the latter context, believing that the USSR sought world domination.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.