Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

I Found a Car for you, Komrades!

Soviet cogitations: 291
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Nov 2011, 06:40
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 05:00

Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Oct 2011, 08:59
Ideology: Other
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 05:51
A Rolls Canardly?
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 05:54
Markius Fox wrote:
A Rolls Canardly?

I'm not sure what it is. You are probably right, but it kind of looks like a Lada, or one of the old Volgas that the KGB drove around in!
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 05 Dec 2011, 06:40
You are obviously not a car guy, Mr. Amerikanyets.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 260
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Oct 2011, 08:59
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 07:07
soviet78 wrote:

I actually am curious about what kind of car it is, the paint job is snazzy...but I would prefer flags on the bumper, or a bumper sticker.
Resident Soviet
Post 05 Dec 2011, 07:31
I'm not a fan of British cars but I believe it is a late 1960s-early 1970s Rolls Silver Shadow. I think we've even discussed this image somewhere on here recently. I definitely agree that the paint job is anything but modest. In fact I think it looks ridiculous.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 05 Dec 2011, 07:36
There are a couple of interesting "commie" cars I've seen around the internet.
Here's Uncle Joe with some car:

This is some car that most of you have probably seen on EnglishRussia (1957 Lada apparently)

And this was apparently a real advertisement for an armoured car:

If one of you guys is really rich, it looks like you can actually get one for a mere One Million Euros.
Who are they marketing it at? Russian Gangsters with nostalgia.

Their website is quite bizarre actually.
Komsomol
Post 05 Dec 2011, 16:35
soviet78 wrote:

Actually, you are correct!
Soviet cogitations: 2407
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Forum Commissar
Post 12 Dec 2011, 11:16
Those colours are an invitation to the world.
Soviet cogitations: 981
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Aug 2011, 22:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Komsomol
Post 12 Dec 2011, 11:23
Ya_Amerikanyets wrote:
Actually, you are correct!

I thought the proper word would be korrect
Soviet cogitations: 200
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Jul 2011, 11:37
Ideology: Other Leftist
Pioneer
Post 21 Dec 2011, 23:25

My grandfather had this type of car, it's Skoda 1000 MB, its name is popularly joked about to mean "1000 little pains (1000 Malých Bolestí)".
Soviet cogitations: 18
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 03 Mar 2014, 18:03
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 03 Mar 2014, 21:53
Great idea…perfect for me!
Communism is Soviet power plus the electrification of the whole country.
~Vladimir Lenin
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9187
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 04 Mar 2014, 05:54
Shigalyov wrote:
This is some car that most of you have probably seen on EnglishRussia (1957 Lada apparently)

Are you sure that's not a 2013 Moskvitch?

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Resident Soviet
Post 04 Mar 2014, 11:08
Actually, it's a Porche Cayenne platform custom made from scratch to look like a 57 GAZ-21 Volga.

As you can see here by the size difference, it's clearly an expensive, and strange, mod project, even more ridiculous than a Rolls with a hammer and sickle paint job.

http://relax.ru/post/21106/volgacayenne_legenda_v_novom_vide_18_foto.html
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 04 Mar 2014, 15:32
I was just conveying what I read elsewhere, but it looks it like they had it wrong. (The fact that I posted it in 2011 probably meant it wasn't a 2013 model car though.) Judging by the article soviet78 found it's definitely a major customization job and not just some vinyls or paint on a Rolls Royce. It can't have been cheap.

I still find it hard to understand the kinds of people that are rich enough to do something like that, yet still have all these nostalgic feelings about the Communist era. It looks more like patriotism using Communist icons.
Soviet cogitations: 304
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 05 Feb 2014, 00:36
Komsomol
Post 04 Mar 2014, 17:29
Shigalyov wrote:
I was just conveying what I read elsewhere, but it looks it like they had it wrong. (The fact that I posted it in 2011 probably meant it wasn't a 2013 model car though.) Judging by the article soviet78 found it's definitely a major customization job and not just some vinyls or paint on a Rolls Royce. It can't have been cheap.

I still find it hard to understand the kinds of people that are rich enough to do something like that, yet still have all these nostalgic feelings about the Communist era. It looks more like patriotism using Communist icons.

There was a great article about this a while back that I can't get my google-fu to locate.

Basically, it states that most of the modern entrepreneur/young rich kid hipsters are the children of the Party aristocracy (ie: the traitorous careerist kind who got their positions solely for self-profit) and that they are as such antipathetic, and sometimes nostalgiac (as it made their parents, and by extension them, wealthy when their folks grabbed as much state property as possible and sold it off) for "the system" that elevated them up. Therefore they spend ludicrous amounts of their money on being edgy and hipstery while expressing their identity as distinctly "East German" (I believe the example was from the former GDR).

There was a great line, too, about how most were apathetic about the collapse of communism because while their business trips now go to London or Paris, they figured that under the old system they'd be bureaucrat-entrepreneurs just flying to Prague or Moscow instead.

I mean, I will defend the achievements of the system to my dying breath but it gives you an idea of how deeply-rooted some of these cancerous and opportunistic beliefs became ingrained.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.