Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Suggestions for Forum Icons

Soviet cogitations: 1655
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Jul 2011, 09:57
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 01:37
Dagoth Ur wrote:
I like the idea of:
Communism Section
1. Communism : Marx
2. Communist Lit : Engels
3. CP & tCM : Lenin

Hmm... I think for tCM it needs to be someone more representative of actual fighting. I was thinking more along the lines of Che. He did a little bit of everything.

Or maybe we should just use a generic picture of a revolution?
I don't regret burning my bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burned them.
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 26 Sep 2011, 01:54
Dagoth Ur wrote:
Communism Section
1. Communism : Marx
2. Communist Lit : Engels
3. CP & tCM : Lenin

This works for me - Lenin is always the one figure I think of when it comes to emphasis on the Communist Party

Chthonic171 wrote:
Or maybe we should just use a generic picture of a revolution?

Animated_Wheel.gif
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 02:17
Shigalyov wrote:
This works for me - Lenin is always the one figure I think of when it comes to emphasis on the Communist Party

I love Lenin and his face is appealing to me as an artist (and woman, haha) but I think he's just too overdone. I don't want to do the most obvious thing on ALL of them :/
I don't regret burning my bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burned them.
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 26 Sep 2011, 02:24
Are there any good generic October Revolution pics or posters that can be cropped and used? I feel like that would work better than revolutionary leaders.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Forum Commissar
Post 26 Sep 2011, 02:37
I guess the thing is that the faces idea was a way of creating a moderate amount of controversy and discussion.

Generic images are probably more likely to be acceptable to everyone though.
I don't know ... do we want discussion or unanimity?
(That's something for the mods to decide I suppose.)
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 02:43
Shigalyov wrote:
I guess the thing is that the faces idea was a way of creating a moderate amount of controversy and discussion.

Unintentionally but it worked out, I guess. Ultimately anyway.

Quote:
Generic images are probably more likely to be acceptable to everyone though.

But lame.

Quote:
I don't know ... do we want discussion or unanimity?
(That's something for the mods to decide I suppose.)

As the mod of this (previously deader than dead) forum I'd appreciate some damn discussion. Just not a bitch-fest. That I won't let happen.
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2011, 03:33

Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 03:39
Where the hell did you find that octopus thing? lol
Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2011, 03:46
Someone photoshopped Paul the Soccer Octopus! The other image has been my desktop theme for about 10 years now.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 04:07
Paul the Soccer Octopus

How is a banner your wallpaper??
Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2011, 04:12
I banner-sized it for use a long time ago, then forgot to include it. The original should be here.

Also, Paul the Soccer Octopus.
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 04:18
It's slightly creepy haha.
Forum Commissar
Post 26 Sep 2011, 06:16
I'm not sure if it's just for me, but the the only image in the OP which is showing up is Red Daughter's aristocrats.

This was a suggestion for LWHC

Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2011, 06:22
Very nice image Shig, but it's kind of hard to make out the action when it gets downsized. Faces are probably the best idea for thumbnails that tiny because they simply survive the downsizing much easier than more abstract images.
Forum Commissar
Post 26 Sep 2011, 06:38
Yeah faces are best.

We're just wired to see and recognize faces really easily - even when there isn't one. Unfortunately the identity of the faces is something of a divisive issue. I still think the respective leaders (i.e. Stalin, Mao, Castro ..etc) would suit the various national forums - size being the consideration that it is.
Soviet cogitations: 9816
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Apr 2008, 03:25
Embalmed
Post 26 Sep 2011, 06:46
Shigalyov wrote:

We're just wired to see and recognize faces really easily - even when there isn't one.

I know and I find that to be kinda weird and a bit creepy.
Once capitalists know we can release the Kraken, they'll back down and obey our demands for sure.
_Comrade Gulper
Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2011, 07:04
Well, it makes sense. It's hard to relate to something that you can't see "eye to eye" with, so we do tend to anthropomorphize objects as well as animals. I mean, an earthworm has no eyes, yet you would hardly see a cartoon version of one in a children's story book being drawn without them. It would be too upsetting to them at that age.
Party Member
Post 26 Sep 2011, 21:17
Shigalyov wrote:
I'm not sure if it's just for me, but the the only image in the OP which is showing up is Red Daughter's aristocrats.

Works for me? However, that's the only image that was uploaded on a separate website than the one everyone else has used. If you have an Ad or Script blocker maybe it's not allowing you view things from that site. I'm not sure.

Comrade Gulper wrote:
Very nice image Shig, but it's kind of hard to make out the action when it gets downsized. Faces are probably the best idea for thumbnails that tiny because they simply survive the downsizing much easier than more abstract images.

I am not into using faces for everything. It really just depends on the photo. I'll try to find some other visuals, I'm just not excited to make almost thirty of these every day since no one can agree..
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 26 Sep 2011, 22:33
Shigalyov wrote:
This was a suggestion for LWHC

I can see what's happening on the picture smaller pic, but Idk if it's just because I already have seen that bigger picture as reference. I think that would be good for LWHC.

Alternatively, we could use Stakhanov for that one or something that represents the Stakhanovite campaign for LWHC.

For example, this pic:

Or somebody could edit/resize this one:

Chthonic171 wrote:
I am not into using faces for everything. It really just depends on the photo. I'll try to find some other visuals, I'm just not excited to make almost thirty of these every day since no one can agree..

Would it be possible to put DPRK to a vote first before proceeding further? I think we got enough icons to vote for on that one.

Sorry for multiple edits, but seeing the pic that Shig posted suddenly turned on some light bulbs. Just some suggestions. My feelings won't be hurt if no one agrees.
Last edited by Komissar_KW on 26 Sep 2011, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Philosophized
Post 26 Sep 2011, 22:37
My Photoshop skills are zero. I leave Chthonic in charge of everything, with orders to asplode KW if all else fails.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.