Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

CCCP Order of Lenin Lighter?

[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 2
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 31 May 2016, 22:05
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 31 May 2016, 22:10

Found a lighter on the beach, was wanting to know if anyone had any other information on it and perhaps an auction price?
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 31 May 2016, 23:12
Hello opiv,

Unfortunately I can't see your image, but if it's just a zippo lighter with an Order of Lenin pasted on, it's simply a modern souvenir and worth about $5 new.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 2
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 31 May 2016, 22:05
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 01 Jun 2016, 03:19
soviet78 wrote:
Hello opiv,

Unfortunately I can't see your image, but if it's just a zippo lighter with an Order of Lenin pasted on, it's simply a modern souvenir and worth about $5 new.

http://imgur.com/a/dPHVZ
Here is the link to it
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 01 Jun 2016, 05:02
It certainly looks "vintage", and is faded and worn in the right places, but it's very hard to tell. You might try taking it to an appraiser for a professional opinion.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 01 Jun 2016, 21:38
Ah there it is; nah sorry opiv, this isn't an antique.

http://posezonam.ru/pezo-zazhigalka-orden-lenina-z335.html

260 rubles (about $3.75).

Order, you'd know that if you spent more time in the home country! These kinds of things sell on every corner kiosk, in tourist areas anyway.

The Soviets would never put a big pseudo-medal on a lighter. If it were a tiny impression akin to the symbol of quality that would be one thing, but a big honkin' medal like this, no way.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 12389
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 Apr 2010, 04:44
Ideology: None
Philosophized
Post 01 Jun 2016, 23:32
soviet78 wrote:
Order, you'd know that if you spent more time in the home country! These kinds of things sell on every corner kiosk, in tourist areas anyway.

I see what you mean. I was wondering why they would even put such a high status state medal on a lighter, even one that seems a small upgrade from the common Bic model. I thought it might be meant as a kitsch item for tourists.

When I last visited the old country, it was High Yeltsin era and memories of Soviet days were Officially Proscribed. In fact, the main thing I noticed was the resurgence of the Church in full swing. Men in priest vestments and sunglasses were everywhere in Murmansk.
Miss Strangelove: "You feed giants laxatives so goblins can mine their poop before the gnomes get to it."
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.