Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Soviet School Uniform

Soviet cogitations: 882
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 26 Oct 2004, 02:34
Komsomol
Post 19 Aug 2010, 23:26
I was browsing ebay, and I happened to see a Soviet school uniform in my size (though the trousers will probably have to be hemmed). I decided to buy it for US $35 (plus US $25 shipping, handling and insurance from the Ukraine). It hasn't arrived yet, so here are the pictures posted by the seller:

"Unpolitisch sein heißt: politisch sein, ohne es zu merken." - Rosa Luxemburg
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 20 Aug 2010, 01:17
Did all Soviet School Uniforms (for boys) look like this? Did they vary from school to school? It's actually quite nice.
Rabble Rouser, you should post us a photo when it arrives.
Komsomol
Post 20 Aug 2010, 04:43
Shigalyov wrote:
Did all Soviet School Uniforms (for boys) look like this? Did they vary from school to school? It's actually quite nice.
Rabble Rouser, you should post us a photo when it arrives.

According to the seller, all schoolchildren in the Soviet Union wore the same style of uniform. Given that this uniform is big enough for an adult, I would assume that it would have been for the upper classes (8-10). In class 4, one was old enough to be accepted into the Young Pioneers and be given the classic red pioneer ties. In class 8, one could enter the Komsomol (VLKSM). Perhaps one of the Russian forum members could verify all this.

Apparently, the styles changed significantly from pre-Stalin to the Stalin era to post-Stalin. The later uniforms were more modern in style, whereas the older ones looked more similar to military uniforms. The uniform I have purchased is in the style used in the 1980s.

Here is a picture of some younger schoolboys dated 1987:

Here's another picture:

I would guess that this is an example of an older style of uniform:

If you want to know more, here is a webpage about school uniforms in the USSR:

http://histclo.com/schun/country/rus/rsuc-sov.html
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 20 Aug 2010, 09:26
Sry man but that's just funny.
Why do you want to wander around dressed like a school boy?

Army uniform is ok though...
Komsomol
Post 20 Aug 2010, 10:24
Loz wrote:
Sry man but that's just funny.
Why do you want to wander around dressed like a school boy?

Army uniform is ok though...

So it's better to prance around in military fatigues than it is to indulge in nostalgia for Soviet youth? I'm not a fan of militarism, Soviet or otherwise.

If you must know, I intend to wear it as a halloween costume if I am invited to some kind of party, adorned with a Komsomol badge. If I wear it without the jacket or badges, it could double as ordinary clothing as well; just a normal shirt and trousers.
Loz
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 11879
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17
Philosophized
Post 20 Aug 2010, 13:25
Nothing beats this as a halloween costume

Soviet cogitations: 12
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Aug 2011, 08:43
New Comrade (Say hi & be nice to me!)
Post 04 Sep 2011, 05:18
Rabble Rouser wrote:
According to the seller, all schoolchildren in the Soviet Union wore the same style of uniform.

He lied, as any good seller would. The uniform you've got looks like Moscow-style thing. I lived in Ukraine when I was a kid and we wore brown colour uniform of a less flashy style, just a plain jacket and pants.
Soviet cogitations: 12
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Aug 2011, 08:43
Post 04 Sep 2011, 05:29
Ah, I nearly forgot -- that particular style of the red scarf, stitched around the edge, we hated it because the stitching would go loose very soon and would look untidy. There were better ones in the shops, made of thicker cloth and properly stitched (like a good handkerchief). Those could last the whole school-year. I think around 6-th grade it became popular to try and suffocate each other with those red scarves -- usually in a toilet during a break -- almost to the point of losing consciousness. It was stupid and dangerous, and therefore attractive.
Soviet cogitations: 975
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 08 Aug 2011, 22:59
Ideology: Other Leftist
Komsomol
Post 04 Sep 2011, 09:51
Loz wrote:
Nothing beats this as a halloween costume

How about a hazmat suit?
Soviet cogitations: 4779
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 12 May 2010, 07:43
Ideology: Other Leftist
Politburo
Post 05 Sep 2011, 10:08
I had a Chinese school uniform. I don't remember what it looked like except that it had the name of the school on it, and it was mostly blue (maybe?). But we had those red scarves as well. I think a lot of Chinese schools don't do uniforms anymore (depends on the school, and also reserved for some occasions), except that the red scarf is still an everyday requirement in the dress code.

No pictures exist of it, sadly, but I'd probably be too embarrassed to put them up online anyway.
“Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals” - Mark Twain
Soviet cogitations: 2407
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Nov 2003, 13:17
Ideology: Other
Forum Commissar
Post 13 Oct 2011, 13:56
I like simple school uniforms. I have seen some of the ones at certain British schools with the jacket and tie. They look very hot and uncomfortable. Of course if you give a student a tie they will not wear it properly and everyone will end up looking untidy.
Soviet cogitations: 54
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 27 Nov 2013, 03:30
Unperson
Post 08 Mar 2014, 18:45
That was just so cool, my friend rabble-rouser.
Soviet cogitations: 6
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 15 Jun 2014, 11:31
Post 15 Jun 2014, 11:42
When i go to school early 90s we had similar outfit in Nampula Elementary School.
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.