Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Soviet's Children's Book

Soviet cogitations: 4764
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 20 Jul 2007, 06:59
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Forum Commissar
Post 25 Dec 2009, 12:26
Pretty nice illustrations from a book "Hello, I'm a Robot·" that here we would no doubt, attribute to drug consumption:

http://ajourneyroundmyskull.blogspot.co ... l-non.html

"You say you have no enemies? How is this so? Have you never spoken the truth, never loved justice?" - Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Forum Rules
Soviet cogitations: 109
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 18 May 2009, 14:55
Pioneer
Post 01 Jan 2010, 03:26
Some cool art on that blog post.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 1782
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2009, 20:08
Resident Artist
Post 12 Jan 2010, 01:42
Indeed. Those works are fine pieces of art with a great amount of detail and sophistication.
Soviet cogitations: 1537
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 14 Jan 2010, 05:46
Party Member
Post 21 May 2010, 17:25
I like the art

"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains." - Rosa Luxemburg
Long Live The Bolivarian Revolution!
RIP Muamar Qadafi
RIP Hugo Chavez
Soviet cogitations: 4465
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 30 Mar 2010, 01:20
Ideology: None
Forum Commissar
Post 23 May 2010, 03:14
^ Some really lovely images in that book. It reminded me of some of that avant-garde Czech sci-fi animation from the sixties - wish I could remember the name of it now.

Nowhere near as artistic as the other book, but there were some interesting scans from some Russian children's books on the English Russia website

Here were some specific pages, but the whole site is worth a look.
Soviet-Era Kids Book <= This one is rather sweet actually.

The translation given for this page was: “Today is October day! All the clouds fly away! Sun likes the holiday too! I have a flag for you!”

Early Nineteen-Nineties Russian Kids Book <= This one was hysterical and it looks like a reprint of an older book.

The translation given for this page was: “You haven’t cleaned up your room? Then to ugly monks would come to you soon”

This is a modern Russian Kids book <= This one was quite jaw dropping by Western standards - so I'll omit the image. People can follow the link if they are interested.
Soviet cogitations: 676
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 11 Sep 2009, 07:33
Ideology: Left Communism
Forum Commissar
Post 23 May 2010, 04:21
I thought that last one was some sort of parody of the real children's books. That's the impression I got. If it isn't, well that's interesting. But maybe I'm just biased and/or my mind is corrupted.
Forum Commissar
Post 24 May 2010, 04:00
Red Daughter wrote:
I thought that last one was some sort of parody of the real children's books. That's the impression I got. If it isn't, well that's interesting. But maybe I'm just biased and/or my mind is corrupted.
I thinks it's meant to be genuine, but without seeing an actual copy of the book it's hard to be certain - you could be quite correct (maybe I'm a little too credulous). I imagine it would be fine for kids as it is subtle enough that a child would not necessarily read into it the same things which an adult would. Just because many adults think of drugs and paedophilia when they read or see Alice In Wonderland, does not entail that younger children will think in these sorts of terms.
It is not unheard of for modern children's stories and movies to contain elements which are put there to keep adults interested - perhaps it's some variation on this idea.
Forum Commissar
Post 22 Jul 2012, 03:51
I came across the art Prax mentioned in the OP ... it has been moved to new site:
http://50watts.com/Mummy-Was-A-Robot-Daddy-Was-A-Small-Non-Stick-Kitchen-Utensil

The whole site's pretty amazing actually. It's not all Communist related by any means, but some terrific artwork nonetheless.
http://50watts.com/

Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 22 Jul 2012, 14:14
When I was a kid my favourite book was 'Mole in the City'. This was a Russian translation and republishing of the famous Czechoslovak children's series by Zdenek Miller. The artwork of the book matched that of the animated cartoons (with some minor changes, including giving the rabbit bigger eyes), and was exceptional.

I also very much enjoyed the watercolour artwork in the two alphabet books I got in my first year of school. Here are some pictures from them:

"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Soviet cogitations: 2051
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 24 Jun 2011, 08:37
Party Bureaucrat
Post 22 Jul 2012, 17:58
Thank you for posting these.
Soviet America is Free America!

Under communism, there is no freedom; you are not free to live in poverty, be homeless, to be without an education, to starve, or to be without a job
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.