Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

Winter War posters & comics

Soviet cogitations: 4405
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Resident Soviet
Post 11 Dec 2004, 04:26
Like many things, it's sad and funny at the same time.
Soviet cogitations: 614
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 28 Nov 2004, 01:27
Komsomol
Post 11 Dec 2004, 21:40
I am amazed that the USSR could not crush those finnish efficiently enough. I mean, they took some heavy losses...

The Soviets are always blamed for everything...

Michael
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 782
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 25 Nov 2004, 17:44
Unperson
Post 11 Dec 2004, 22:50
MichaelZ wrote:
I am amazed that the USSR could not crush those finnish efficiently enough. I mean, they took some heavy losses...

The Soviets are always blamed for everything...

Michael

Why would not they be blamed for attacking an independant nation without any provocating.
Komsomol
Post 11 Dec 2004, 22:52
I'm sure that they had a good reason. I heard of the Manewhatever line excuse, but Im not sure, I wasn't there.

Michael
[+-]
Unperson
Post 11 Dec 2004, 22:53
MichaelZ wrote:
I'm sure that they had a good reason. I heard of the Manewhatever line excuse, but Im not sure, I wasn't there.

Michael

Least try to type it correctly : Mannerheim line.

Why should it give right to attack and independant nation?
Komsomol
Post 11 Dec 2004, 23:02
Sorry, I am not that familiar with the Winter War, nor am I with the Finnish geography.

According to stuff I heard on this site the finnish put armies on their side of the line, and Stalin felt threatened, so he attacked. Might not be true, no one was there. The line is like a short way from Leningrad.

I don't think expansion was the reason, and about the "Independent" and everything, lots of countries attack other independent countries. I may not agree with it 100%, but its true, so you can hardly blame the Soviets.

I don't know the reason. I wasnt there. It is a hard question for me to answer. I am sure that if the Soviets did it, then there was good reason to do it, although this sounds silly, even to me when I read this. Perhaps they wanted to liberate the workers of Finland?

Rustam
Soviet cogitations: 2848
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 21 Nov 2004, 20:31
Party Bureaucrat
Post 13 Dec 2004, 14:15
Stalin attacked Finland following the articles written in Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, that USSR would get all Baltic Lands, including Finland. All Baltic lands expect Finland gave up without putting any real resistance, but Finland didnt.

To get an excuse to attack Finland Stalin ordered Red Army artillery to shell Soviet troops stationed in Mainila. Few were killed and wounded. Dont even try to say " Do you think Stalin would shell his own soldiers?! ", because he did. Do you think Stalin really cared about few soldiers? He always had millions more to take their place. All he wanted was to occupy Finland and instal puppet goverment ASAP.
Soviet cogitations: 101
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 29 Jan 2005, 01:35
Pioneer
Post 11 Feb 2005, 09:52
Umm, is anyone still in this thread?

well, i agree that the Mainila shots were most probably made by us, as a formal "casus belli" for an attack. BUT, as far as I know there were no people kiled or wounded.

A few KGP operatives came to the shelling plcae after the shots, stood there for a wile and left. No signs of casualties or deaths were in sight.

The Fins were then asking USSR about casualties, but never got back a proper reply.

I put a bet NKVD shelled empty space.
Soviet cogitations: 2820
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Feb 2005, 02:51
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Feb 2005, 12:22
Finland was too close Leningrad, and the Finnish government was very hostile towards the soviets, so Stalin decided to start a war against Finnland, the soviets gained some land but the casualty mounted to around 500,000 dead or wounded, as one Russian general said "we just gained enough land to bury the dead.

Even though the soviets suffered humiliating losses, the war actually benefited the red army in the long run, as it exposed severe problems with in the red army such as disorganisation, poor training, lack of leadership, poor logistics, which lead to the reform of the red army. This war also caused Hitler to severely underestimate the red army, which ultimately led to the conquest of Berlin in 1945.
[+-]
Unperson
Post 20 Feb 2005, 12:56
Roy wrote:
Finland was too close Leningrad, and the Finnish government was very hostile towards the soviets, so Stalin decided to start a war against Finnland, the soviets gained some land but the casualty mounted to around 500,000 dead or wounded, as one Russian general said "we just gained enough land to bury the dead.

Even though the soviets suffered humiliating losses, the war actually benefited the red army in the long run, as it exposed severe problems with in the red army such as disorganisation, poor training, lack of leadership, poor logistics, which lead to the reform of the red army. This war also caused Hitler to severely underestimate the red army, which ultimately led to the conquest of Berlin in 1945.

Please don't try to analyse the causes of war if you don't even know anything than the "short" version learned from school books.

Care to tell me what weapon used by Finnish army could reach Leningrad?

And do you even know who was in the Finnish goverment at the start of winter war?
Komsomol
Post 20 Feb 2005, 12:59
I'm not sure about "which weapon used" thing. Did finnish have aircraft? Artillery? And anyway "too close" if the finns attacked they could take it easily by surprise. If Moscow was say where Litve or Ukraine is now it would have been taken almost straight away by the germans.

Michail

"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners." - V. I. Lenin

Formerly MichaelZ
[+-]
Unperson
Post 20 Feb 2005, 13:03
MichaelZ wrote:
I'm not sure about "which weapon used" thing. Did finnish have aircraft? Artillery? And anyway "too close" if the finns attacked they could take it easily by surprise. If Moscow was say where Litve or Ukraine is now it would have been taken almost straight away by the germans.

Michail

Finns had no artillery that could Leningrad, planes? Those couple pre-war bombers? Big Threat

Don't you know nothing about warfare? Stop trying to make up pathetic execuses why Soviets where justfied to invade neutral country.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 20 Feb 2005, 13:03
But Finland was not going to attack USSR. And Finnish goverment was not hostile toward Soviet Union.

Soviet cogitations: 2820
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 16 Feb 2005, 02:51
Party Bureaucrat
Post 21 Feb 2005, 03:52
Quote:
Please don't try to analyse the causes of war if you don't even know anything than the "short" version learned from school books.

You want to hear the long version? okay, Finland was a part of the Russian empire until 1917, when they gained their independence right after the October revolution. The Russians did not want to see that so they intervened in the Finnish civil, which they backed the Finnish Red guard against the white Finns, the whites won the civil war and took over the country, so the Finns didn't like the Soviets from day one. Eventually a peace treaty was signed between Russia and Finnland, and nothing much happened until 1939, in the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact Hitler agreed to give Finnland and the Baltic states to Soviet Union to ensure that Stalin won't intervene German operations in Eastern Europe. And Stalin always liked other people's land...
Party Bureaucrat
Post 03 Apr 2005, 22:00
Quote:
Got Soviet?

Here is one, which is also one of the must stupid Soviet propaganda poster I have ever seen.

Butcher Mannerheim:
1910: Russia´s czar Nikolai Bloody´s hireling
1918: Murderer of tens of thousands workers, Finland´s people butcher
1939: Gold, which Mannerheim gets from the blood of Finland´s workers and
peasants.
1940: Creature of rich English bank bosses, The provokator of anti-Soviet war.

Soviet cogitations: 464
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Mar 2004, 18:19
Komsomol
Post 04 Apr 2005, 09:29
That btw is one of the best soviet propaganda pictures of Winter War. Another good one is where soviet soldier stabs Фински on a tip of bayonet.
COMMIE-HA-ME-HA!!!
Quote from Stalin Ball Z
Working class will kick your ass.
Party Bureaucrat
Post 12 Jun 2005, 18:09
Ridiculous Soviet propangada.

[i]SOLDIERS!

Red Army has broken your resistance. You are surrounded from all sides. Resistance is hopeless and vain. Red Army's thousand tanks, artillery guns and airplanes sweep out all those who resist. Think! Why to die for ministers, generals, capitalists and owners of large farms who have sold themselves. Your wives, children, fathers and mothers are waiting for you. There is still one opportunity to safe your lives. Stop this war, disarm your officers! Change your side to Red Army and your life is saved!

Eh?
Soviet cogitations: 142
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 22 Mar 2004, 23:00
Pioneer
Post 14 Jun 2005, 19:46
The Nazi's were shelling leningrad from Finland.

The Soviets signed a peace treaty with Finland as soon as enough land was secure to keep the Nazi's from shelling Soviet cities.

If you have any doubts of Finland being a Nazi puppet state, take a look at the insignia on the plane of the finnish airforce.
"There's no reason for the establishment to fear me. But it has every right to fear the people collectively -I am one with the people."-Huey Newton
Party Bureaucrat
Post 16 Jun 2005, 02:58

What the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
The Nazi's were shelling leningrad from Finland

And when did this happen?

Quote:
The Soviets signed a peace treaty with Finland as soon as enough land was secure to keep the Nazi's from shelling Soviet cities.

LOL!
Quote:
If you have any doubts of Finland being a Nazi puppet state, take a look at the insignia on the plane of the finnish airforce.

Finnish swastika IS NOT nazi symbol.

Swastika is ancient symbol that had been around long before nazis.

Finnish Air Force as well Finnish armoured troops used swastika from 1918 to 1944. Why since 1918? Because in 1918, during Finnish Civil War Swedish Count Von Rosen donated a plane where Von Rosen had painted a symbol of his family, blue swastika to White troops. After the Civil War Finnish armed forces adopted blue swastika as symbol of Finnish Air Force. Armoured troops also adopted this new symbol. Armoured troops swastikas color was black.

How Finnish swastika difrent from Nazi swastika? Finnish swastika is usually blue, and it rest fully on its one "spike". Nazi swastika is black and
is usually in 45 degrees angle.

Swastika in decorative Hindu form. Are Hindus also nazis?

Swastika on a Buddhist temple in Korea. Nazis too?

Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.