Soviet-Empire.com U.S.S.R. and communism historical discussion.
[ Active ]
[ Login ]
Log-in to remove these advertisements.

"Futurology Fiasco" (1982 Soviet work)

Soviet cogitations: 673
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Mar 2011, 14:10
Ideology: Marxism-Leninism
Komsomol
Post 20 Jun 2018, 04:27
https://archive.org/details/FuturologyFiasco

Scanned by someone I know. Contains a chapter discussing 1984 and Brave New World.
[+-]
Soviet cogitations: 9187
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 19 Mar 2005, 20:08
Embalmed
Post 23 Jun 2018, 17:32
Stance on how Shakhnazarov was also an aide to Gorbachev alongside Yakovlev and probably didn't believe in most of what he wrote?

"Bleh, i don't even know what i'm arguing for. What a stupid rant. Disregard what i wrote." - Loz
"Every time is gyros time" - Stalinista
Soviet cogitations: 673
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 01 Mar 2011, 14:10
Komsomol
Post 25 Jun 2018, 13:37
From that article:
Quote:
"Gorbachev, me, all of us were double-thinkers, we had to balance truth and propaganda in our minds all the time," [Shakhnazarov] explained in one interview. "It is not something I'm particularly proud of, but that was the way we lived. It was the choice between dissidence and surrender."
I can't see this being justifiable. It's one thing to be an anti-communist citizen feeling obliged to attend election meetings and feigning enthusiasm for the CPSU, but it's something else to write books and articles putting forth views you don't actually believe in just so you can advance your career in an explicitly political field.
Soviet cogitations: 4381
Defected to the U.S.S.R.: 07 Oct 2004, 22:04
Resident Soviet
Post 25 Jun 2018, 21:29
At least his son Karen isn't such a bastard; he seemed to have gotten a grasp of the degradation of the elite in the 80s before perestroika really ever began with his film The Courier (recommended). And while he often talks about the Soviet Union 'completing its historic mission', he's certainly not the worst of the talking heads on Russian political talk shows these days. His movie White Tiger is pretty good too.

Ismail wrote:
I can't see this being justifiable. It's one thing to be an anti-communist citizen feeling obliged to attend election meetings and feigning enthusiasm for the CPSU, but it's something else to write books and articles putting forth views you don't actually believe in just so you can advance your career in an explicitly political field.

Totally agree; in fact there's something extremely sinister about that. These are the people that really destroyed the country, not the self-proclaimed nationalists, dissidents, controversial rock stars, or even the underground criminals and speculators.
"The thing about capitalism is that it sounds awful on paper and is horrendous in practice. Communism sounds wonderful on paper and when it was put into practice it was done pretty well for what they had to work with." -MiG
Alternative Display:
Mobile view
More Forums: The History Forum. The UK Politics Forum.
© 2000- Soviet-Empire.com. Privacy.